shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello, again! I thought it might be easier to find and reference the Tianyu info if it had it's own thread, so here we are!

Tianyu Gems is a moissanite manufacturer and cutter located in China. I discovered them in early 2017 on Reddit - someone over there was discussing C&C's patent expiring and how it had caused their cutting houses to begin selling unbranded moissanite. At the time I had a colorless Forever One stone that I was pretty unhappy with:

IMG_2394.JPG

It had a dark, mushy center and I didn't like the splintery cut. As Tianyu's prices were so low, I figured I'd take the risk and order a stone from them. I fully anticipated I'd get something awful and then wouldn't be able to return it, basically I considered the money I spent a loss until proven otherwise. And yeah, it was proven otherwise.

IMG_2393.JPG

The stone I received was a much better H&A cut, and a clearer, brighter stone. I ordered a 7mm D/E color H&A cut. The above pics were taken in my very warmly lit bathroom, so not the best representation of color. I loved the stone so much I had David Klass set it in a 14k white gold/palladium bezel setting. His glamour shots do a better job of showing the actual color:

bezel1.jpg
bezel5.jpg

All-in, including shipping, this stone was $154. So basically at that point I was hooked! Haha Within a few weeks I ordered a 7.5mm F color OEC, though I will say their OECs lean a little more transitional. Again, I had David set it for me.

fullsizeoutput_5b45.jpeg
IMG_2809.JPG

David's videos: https://streamable.com/ez1gr
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYiklH0FyhG/

This ring and OEC are perfection. The stone never goes disco ball crazy like moissanite likes to do, it is just a gorgeous, dreamy stone. It was at this point I realized old cuts are my jam. I can appreciate the beauty of H&As and MRBs, but I am head over heels for old cuts.

Before I realized that, I had already ordered two 5mm H&As for David to bezel set as earrings for me. These are my everyday studs:

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 9.36.09 AM.png

Once I discovered I really loved antique-style cuts, I decided to give an ACC a try. I wanted to do a five-stone ring for my low-key days, and why not throw in a larger stone while I'm at it, right?? Thus, these 4mm F color baby ACCs and 7.5mm F color mama ACC came to live with me:

fullsizeoutput_5b48.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5b4d.jpeg

Oh! Hit my photo limit! Will continue in next post. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3514.JPG
    IMG_3514.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 147

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok, so! One more pic of the mama ACC and then some of the babies:

fullsizeoutput_5b49.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5b4a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5b4e.jpeg

Again, I had David set the babies for me in a five-stone ring:

fullsizeoutput_5cfa.jpeg

btLzLnQlQxqimV4wXYkBpA.jpg

HUsT+9DQSIWdvnvzj94BbA.jpg

David's video: https://streamable.com/q6xg2

So to say I've been very happy with Tianyu's moissanite would be a serious understatement. I am working with David to have the mama ACC set, and have ordered a set of 2ctw F color OEC studs in platinum from Tianyu. This will be the first time I have ordered jewelry from Tianyu, and the price for the platinum settings was jaw-droppingly low. My customer service rep has asked me to stop sharing prices because the price of gold/plat fluctuates, but yeah, it was crazy, crazy low.

So how do you order from Tianyu? To be frank, the Alibaba website is kind of a mess. Here is the direct link to Tianyu's storefront: https://tygems.en.alibaba.com/ How I first did it in the beginning was I would search for the cut style I was interested in, find a listing that was as close as possible to what I wanted, and then hit "Contact supplier" on the listing, detail everything I wanted and request a quote. Now I just message my customer service rep Emily directly. You can email her: https://imgur.com/Od9y6Ha or you can message her directly via the Alibaba site: https://tygems.en.alibaba.com/conta...rdpanyb.11.3b2221a0UFRpX1&referId=60743871750 Emily will also give you a discount if you tell her Kate sent you.

Once you've agreed on a product and price, she will send you an invoice via Alibaba and an invoice via PayPal. I have only ever paid by PayPal and that is my recommendation. While I've had nothing but wonderful transactions with Tianyu, things happen and having the buyer protection from PayPal is a must for me. When I've ordered an in-stock item, it typically has shipped within 2-3 days and has been delivered within the week. Items that need to be custom cut (like the OEC and ACCs) have taken about a week to cut and ship, and then have been delivered with the week. Right now my Reddit post on them has blown up, and they have been inundated with orders. Add to that two customer service reps on maternity leave, and things are running a little slower over there. Plus keep in mind that depending on where you are located, there could also be a significant time difference.

So! I think that's all I've got! Let me know if you have any questions. :)

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, I just realized I completely messed up that thread title! I reported it to get it changed - so sorry, y'all!! :oops:

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for creating this thread. I can't wait to see your studs from them. Your studs from DK are lovely as well though!

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for creating this thread. I can't wait to see your studs from them. Your studs from DK are lovely as well though!
I realized super late last night that the studs are supposed to arrive while I'm on vacation next week! :doh:Thankfully they are willing to hold them for me and ship right before I get back, but that's two weeks of waiting and patience is not my forte! :lol:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all your pretty moissanite jewelry, that ACC though:kiss2:

One question, are you in the U.S.? What if any customs fees did you incur if you don't mind me asking?

Sezzwho

Rough_Rock
I can't wait to see my 8x7mm ACC solitaire from them. I hope I'm as lucky with my stones! I love that 5 stone. I covet that 5 stone. :lol:

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
I love the OEC and the Cushion 5-stone. Beautiful! I've been considering an OEC from August Vintage or Love Affair Diamonds, but now I'm adding Tianyu to my list... I'm curious to see how the setting itself turns out!

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow, do you know their diamonds' resources? Thanks so much for sharing. I was looking for Moissanites recently. Seems like there are a lot of stores like this in China, wondering do they really have a competitive price?:geek2:
I don’t know if they sell diamonds or what those resources might be. Their pricing for moissanite seems to be in line with, sometimes slightly more, than the other Chinese companies, but their cut quality is significantly and better and therefore worth it to me. :)

Sezzwho

Rough_Rock
For anyone curious about the ACC. I ordered an 8x7mm platinum solitaire and a 2.5mm Hearts and Arrows shared prong eternity band. Here's the cut. I'm very happy with it. It's G-H color range and it whiter in person than I was able to capture.
20180612_145327.jpg
20180612_151445.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is very pretty :love:

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
For anyone curious about the ACC. I ordered an 8x7mm platinum solitaire and a 2.5mm Hearts and Arrows shared prong eternity band. Here's the cut. I'm very happy with it. It's G-H color range and it whiter in person than I was able to capture.
20180612_145327.jpg
20180612_151445.jpg

Beautiful! Did they set the stones for you too?

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love this set, @Sezzwho! That ACC is one gorgeous stone! :kiss2:

I ordered two 6.5mm G/H color OECs from Tianyu and had them set them in platinum martini settings. They did a great job and I am super pleased with them. Now I just have to get used to the weight! :lol:

fullsizeoutput_5d26.jpeg

Earrings are hard to photograph for me because I can never seem to get both stones at the same angle. But they are a well matched set, even though in my pic it kinda looks like one table is larger than the other. It's not in real life!

Sezzwho

Rough_Rock
I love this set, @Sezzwho! That ACC is one gorgeous stone! :kiss2:

I ordered two 6.5mm G/H color OECs from Tianyu and had them set them in platinum martini settings. They did a great job and I am super pleased with them. Now I just have to get used to the weight! :lol:

fullsizeoutput_5d26.jpeg

Earrings are hard to photograph for me because I can never seem to get both stones at the same angle. But they are a well matched set, even though in my pic it kinda looks like one table is larger than the other. It's not in real life!
You're better at it than me lol. Love.

Beautiful! Did they set the stones for you too?
They did!

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
20180612_145327.jpg
20180612_151445.jpg

wow this set is stunning! and it was set entirely by tianyu? how are you liking the eternity? is it comfortable?

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
20180612_145327.jpg
20180612_151445.jpg

Woot! Beautiful^_^ I'm gonna have to jump on the ACC train soon, haha.

Sezzwho

Rough_Rock
The eternity is a little pokey. I'm getting used to it though. I think it will come down to individual sensitivity. I kind of expected it to be. I really like it. It's so pretty and just looks like diamonds compared to my other rings with diamond melee. I need to get a spacer to prevent damage on the solitaire prongs.

I'm probably going to ask Tianyu for a price on a spacer. And at the same time price put a comfy 5 stone to wear when caring for my young kids. You know... since I'm asking. Lol.

Lucky_Rabbit you do! I really love it. It's so chunky and pretty.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ordered an OEC from them. The customer service was great, the gem is kind of meh. But I think that's more me than the stone. I'm used to RBCs. I'll post pics ASAP!

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, again! I thought it might be easier to find and reference the Tianyu info if it had it's own thread, so here we are!

Tianyu Gems is a moissanite manufacturer and cutter located in China. I discovered them in early 2017 on Reddit - someone over there was discussing C&C's patent expiring and how it had caused their cutting houses to begin selling unbranded moissanite. At the time I had a colorless Forever One stone that I was pretty unhappy with:

IMG_2394.JPG

It had a dark, mushy center and I didn't like the splintery cut. As Tianyu's prices were so low, I figured I'd take the risk and order a stone from them. I fully anticipated I'd get something awful and then wouldn't be able to return it, basically I considered the money I spent a loss until proven otherwise. And yeah, it was proven otherwise.

IMG_2393.JPG

The stone I received was a much better H&A cut, and a clearer, brighter stone. I ordered a 7mm D/E color H&A cut. The above pics were taken in my very warmly lit bathroom, so not the best representation of color. I loved the stone so much I had David Klass set it in a 14k white gold/palladium bezel setting. His glamour shots do a better job of showing the actual color:

bezel1.jpg
bezel5.jpg

OMG! :eek2: That Forever One stone looks terrible as far as the color goes.. Sorry (not to be mean please don't take that the wrong way) but that is not what a Colorless stone should look like! Gosh I was looking at F1 stones for a custom made ring that I was thinking about doing. Now I am certainly having 2nd thoughts for sure! I don't know what has happened to C&C?! I have just dealt with a terrible situation with them as I am sure most of you have probably read on this forum. I am not happy with them at all. I have noticed that the quality of their products are no longer what they used to be.. New Stock Forever Brilliant has a yellow tone to it. Old Stock Classic Moissanite was much better than this new FB Stock! I am fairly new to this forum and so glad to have finally found people that share my love of Moissy! It is such a blessing to me and I hope to get lots of pointers from you guys here! I need it.. Especially before I go spending more mega bucks with C&C for inferior products!

I cannot believe:love: the quality and color of the stones that you received from China and that you also received them so quickly being in the states! That is AMAZING! I may have questions to come soon..Please bear with me! :pray:

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OMG! :eek2: That Forever One stone looks terrible as far as the color goes.. Sorry (not to be mean please don't take that the wrong way) but that is not what a Colorless stone should look like! Gosh I was looking at F1 stones for a custom made ring that I was thinking about doing. Now I am certainly having 2nd thoughts for sure! I don't know what has happened to C&C?! I have just dealt with a terrible situation with them as I am sure most of you have probably read on this forum. I am not happy with them at all. I have noticed that the quality of their products are no longer what they used to be.. New Stock Forever Brilliant has a yellow tone to it. Old Stock Classic Moissanite was much better than this new FB Stock! I am fairly new to this forum and so glad to have finally found people that share my love of Moissy! It is such a blessing to me and I hope to get lots of pointers from you guys here! I need it.. Especially before I go spending more mega bucks with C&C for inferior products!

I cannot believe:love: the quality and color of the stones that you received from China and that you also received them so quickly being in the states! That is AMAZING! I may have questions to come soon..Please bear with me! :pray:
The color of the C&C F1 stone was actually ok for me, it’s just that the cut was so poor it made it look awful - as you could see. And that was the best one of quite a few stones that we picked through!

I have been so, so happy with my Tianyu stones and am always happy to answer questions! I saw your issues with Overstock/C&C and am so sorry you had to deal with the nuisance.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
@mrsgreeneyes, Thanks. Yes it was not a fun thing to experience and I have always come to trust C&C up until this point but the fact that it was actually drop shipped to me from the warehouse in NC where they are located at and where all my other things I have ordered from them in the past come from I don't understand why they were trying to pass the buck to OS on this. Although I am also upset with OS how they didn't even care to address the issue up front and handle the processing of the return in a better/faster manner, I finally realized that it started with and ended with C&C. There should have been some better quality control in place to have made sure that particular ring never left the building in that state. It did nothing but waste my time and frustrate me and it all could have been avoided. It has left a bad taste in my mouth where C&C is concerned. I don't see me purchasing from them directly again in the future.. Don't care to purchase again with OS either.

Thanks so much for offering to help with the many questions that I might have about this company. I have always been scared to purchase direct from China because of the issue of what if what I ordered is NOT what I receive thing and getting royally screwed. Don't like the idea of my money being tied up for weeks and weeks on end while something is getting sorted out. I just got my money back from C&C/OS on Tuesday. Your F1 stone looked way too gray to me in the photo and certainly not the same color as your diamonds that it was set with. But the stone that you ordered from Tianyu looked perfect in color! I personally love H&A's because I like the splintery effect of the cut. I have been looking at their website you posted but it seems a bit hard to navigate. I am just trying to search for the stones that I am interested in. I like the fact that it was shipped quick to you in the US because I am also in the US. Down South actually. Thanks for posting this thread and the information above as it is so helpful!:kiss2:

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@mrsgreeneyes, Thanks. Yes it was not a fun thing to experience and I have always come to trust C&C up until this point but the fact that it was actually drop shipped to me from the warehouse in NC where they are located at and where all my other things I have ordered from them in the past come from I don't understand why they were trying to pass the buck to OS on this. Although I am also upset with OS how they didn't even care to address the issue up front and handle the processing of the return in a better/faster manner, I finally realized that it started with and ended with C&C. There should have been some better quality control in place to have made sure that particular ring never left the building in that state. It did nothing but waste my time and frustrate me and it all could have been avoided. It has left a bad taste in my mouth where C&C is concerned. I don't see me purchasing from them directly again in the future.. Don't care to purchase again with OS either.

Thanks so much for offering to help with the many questions that I might have about this company. I have always been scared to purchase direct from China because of the issue of what if what I ordered is NOT what I receive thing and getting royally screwed. Don't like the idea of my money being tied up for weeks and weeks on end while something is getting sorted out. I just got my money back from C&C/OS on Tuesday. Your F1 stone looked way too gray to me in the photo and certainly not the same color as your diamonds that it was set with. But the stone that you ordered from Tianyu looked perfect in color! I personally love H&A's because I like the splintery effect of the cut. I have been looking at their website you posted but it seems a bit hard to navigate. I am just trying to search for the stones that I am interested in. I like the fact that it was shipped quick to you in the US because I am also in the US. Down South actually. Thanks for posting this thread and the information above as it is so helpful!:kiss2:
Hey, fellow Southern gal! :wavey:

Yes, the C&C F1 stone I had looked very grey. The cut was so poor that it had a nailhead effect in the center causing the greyness.

And I agree with you, the Alibaba site is frustrating to navigate. Honestly, I don’t even use it anymore, I just email my contact Emily directly, tell her what I’m looking for, and she sends me a quote. Then she invoices me and I pay via PayPal so I have six months of buyer protection. Fortunately I’ve been thrilled with everything I’ve purchased so have not had to use their return policy.

You can shoot me an email any time and I’d be happy to help you get in contact with her! https://loupetroop.com/listings/other/contact-info-for-mrsgreeneyes

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
@mrsgreeneyes That's awesome!=)2 Thanks so much! Here's a question for all the gals here: Where is a good source for ring settings that are priced reasonable??.. I like 14K white gold (cant wear yellow anymore as it doesnt look right with my skin tone) and would like diamond or moissanite accent stones. I am looking now at Ivy & Rose. They have some nice designs.. Anyone else want to share some great vendors? I am open to any ideas...

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@mrsgreeneyes That's awesome!=)2 Thanks so much! Here's a question for all the gals here: Where is a good source for ring settings that are priced reasonable??.. I like 14K white gold (cant wear yellow anymore as it doesnt look right with my skin tone) and would like diamond or moissanite accent stones. I am looking now at Ivy & Rose. They have some nice designs.. Anyone else want to share some great vendors? I am open to any ideas...
I’ve been using David Klass for my settings. His prices are very reasonable, for custom pieces. But many folks, including a couple here, have had Tianyu create the settings with great results!

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been using David Klass for my settings. His prices are very reasonable, for custom pieces. But many folks, including a couple here, have had Tianyu create the settings with great results!

I had been looking at some of their pre-made rings but just didn't see anything that caught my eye. Didn't even think about them creating a custom design. I do remember seeing someone on here getting a 5 stone ring done now that you mention it. Thanks for that info!;)2

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
I had been looking at some of their pre-made rings but just didn't see anything that caught my eye. Didn't even think about them creating a custom design. I do remember seeing someone on here getting a 5 stone ring done now that you mention it. Thanks for that info!;)2

To be on the safe side, you might want to ask to see the gems you are purchasing. I've bought 2 loose stones from Tianyu and they weren't great. Not what I expected from all the great reviews from people. Luckily, I contacted her and she was super nice and apologetic and I'm in the process of getting an exchange. So we shall see how it goes the 2nd time around.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results