shape
carat
color
clarity

Buyer's Remorse? Help!

KalebK

Rough_Rock
I just bought an engagement ring and even though I thought I did my homework, I'd like the forum's opinion while I'm still in the 30-day return window.

I apologize for the picture being a screenshot of the video. I've tried to attach the IGI grading report.

1.74 carat round
J color (going to be set in a yellow gold solitaire ring)
1.5 HCA
58.5% table
61.1% depth
35 crown angle
40.7 pavilion angle
14.5% crown
43% pavilion
medium to slightly thick girdle
no culet
no fluorescence

This is a lab-grown diamond from Brilliant Earth for $3,400 for the stone alone.

Screenshot.JPG
Screenshot 2.JPG

Attachments

• IGI LG10923518.pdf
    225.5 KB · Views: 109

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What cut grade did they give it? Have you seen this diamond in person yet? The problem I found with lab diamonds 10 years ago when I was looking was they were never well-cut.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This certainly has good potential. The pictures are tilted. If you have already purchased, and have a video, it would help to share.

KalebK

Rough_Rock
The cut grade is listed as "ideal." I have not yet received the ring. I have a video from the website but failed at trying to upload it.

KalebK

Rough_Rock
They also list the clarity as VS2 and the polish and symmetry as "excellent."

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I think those numbers have great potential as well. Can you get a hold of an ASET scope within your return period?

KalebK

Rough_Rock
I can buy an ASET scope quickly if needed. I'm assuming the stone needs to be unmounted for the ASET? How often is there significant light leakage in diamonds with good measurements?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may find this thread moved to the Lab Grown Diamonds section of the forum at some point, as I'm not sure we can discuss them here in Rockytalky!

I think it looks promising - the HCA score indicates the crown and pavilion angles work well together, and the pavilion angle being 40.7 is not right on the edge of the PS-recommended parameters (40.6-40.9) so hopefully, even if there is variation in the pavilion facets, they shouldn't be outside of the range.

KalebK

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much! Can I take the ring to a brick and mortar store to get the ASET and Idealscope images?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Yup the numbers look great, but sometimes, due to number rounding and imprecise cutting, there can be some light leakage. I agree with @OoohShiny .... with the numbers not being on the edge you should be ok .. just saying the only way to know for sure is to get some images - looking out for you :twirl: I have no idea how accurate the numbers are on IGI reports - we usually hear that the color and clarity are softly graded but not sure about the numbers. You can look at a mounted diamond with an ASET scope, it;s just a bit trickier. If you’re looking for H&A image, you won’t be able to view the diamond from the bottom ... but I’m pretty sure you’re mainly concerned about ASET, right?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The scopes are not too expensive and there are some diy hacks floating around if all you need is a rough confirmation that you like what you see. People do use them on mounted jewelry, you won't get as clean a read but again may be enough info. Also viewing with your own eyes in lots of different lighting conditions. Good luck!

KalebK

Rough_Rock
I got the ASET and Idealscope images, what do you think? This is all new to me. Thank you!! Screenshot_20190329-183251.png

KalebK

Rough_Rock
And this one Screenshot_20190329-183259.png

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Show it to someone who can look at it live, in person, and who has the tools and training to do it right. There's nothing about the above specs and photos that look to be a problem but I think you would benefit from a personal meeting with an expert. I'll be happy to make a referral if you'll tell me where you are or there's a list of qualified appraisers under the 'resources' tab at the top of the page.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results