shape
carat
color
clarity

Bluenile setting became loose

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I recently help my mom purchased a 2.5ct Astor diamond from bluenile. I was cleaning her ring today just because I am cleaning my jewelry, and I heard a wiggling sound with her ring.

So I shacked the ring and made sure it was her ring, then I touch the diamond, and the diamond is moving around between the prong!

I am so upset that this is happening, it’s been about 6 months since the purchase and I know my mom rarely wear the ring. Now this is not my first ring that happened with bluenile. My original engagement ring had the same issues, the main stone and the side diamond were loose on my engagement ring, now my mom’s ring have the same problem too.

I was so upset and I called them up, unfortunately they want me to pay for the shipping and insurance to ship it to them for them to inspect, they said if they found it to be their fault then they will fix it and refund me the shipping and insurance cost... I don’t really feel comfortable that way.

What would you do if you were me?

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This is exactly one of the arguments against purchasing online versus going to a physical, trusted jeweler. The recourse is a hassle. I’m surprised that in just a 6 month period they wouldn’t just handle it. That’s very disappointing. If I were you I would just find a local, trustworthy jeweler to repair it and just pay for it yourself. I don’t think it’s worth the hassle to deal with the logistics of shipping it insured and then hoping they will reimburse. Who will be paying for the return shipping?... them or you? And what if they don’t pay for the repair? Then you are paying anyhow. Just go locally and save yourself the headache.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
This is exactly one of the arguments against purchasing online versus going to a physical, trusted jeweler. The recourse is a hassle. I’m surprised that in just a 6 month period they wouldn’t just handle it. That’s very disappointing. If I were you I would just find a local, trustworthy jeweler to repair it and just pay for it yourself. I don’t think it’s worth the hassle to deal with the logistics of shipping it insured and then hoping they will reimburse. Who will be paying for the return shipping?... them or you? And what if they don’t pay for the repair? Then you are paying anyhow. Just go locally and save yourself the headache.

Thats how I feel as well...what if they want me to pay for repair and return shipping...might as well find someone trust worthy to fix it locally.

At the same time out of 3 rings purchase with them, 2 times the stone became loose in a short period of time is very disappointing. I won’t be making purchase with then setting the ring anymore.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fact that they'll reimburse you (potentially) is good, but still the entire thing sounds like BS to me. How could it possibly not be their fault??? Who's fault would it be in less than 6 months with only sometimes wear? That makes me annoyed for you.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This happened to a friend of mine. Her stone from BN fell out of her BN setting. Luckily she found her stone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It mustn’t have been “seated” properly in the first place.
Have you got a Loupe? Check for “daylight” between the girdle and the prong and the table and the prong.
I buy antique and vintage rings all the time (I never buy new) and I’ve bought some that have had very hard lives ie bent and worn shanks, engraving worn away, prongs worn down yet I’ve found it rare to come across a gemstone loose in its setting.
It’s only when the notch in the prong isn’t correct to fit the gemstones girdle or the prong hasn’t been set flush to the table of the girdle meaning it can “catch and lift”. It takes quite a bit of force to bend out a prong to change it from “fitted” to “no longer fitted”.
I’d find a local competent jeweller.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
This happened to a friend of mine. Her stone from BN fell out of her BN setting. Luckily she found her stone.
That’s horrifying! I can imaging how it feel if the 2.5ct stone fell out...omg...

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
The fact that they'll reimburse you (potentially) is good, but still the entire thing sounds like BS to me. How could it possibly not be their fault??? Who's fault would it be in less than 6 months with only sometimes wear? That makes me annoyed for you.
Yes I am very annoyed and don’t want to deal with them. I did an upgrade with them and they were supposed to return my original setting back to me , but they gave me someone else’s setting...

They just really annoying me now.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Putting on and taking off gloves can loosen prongs. Just saying. It's worse with medical type plastic gloves but can happen with winter gloves, as well.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Putting on and taking off gloves can loosen prongs. Just saying. It's worse with medical type plastic gloves but can happen with winter gloves, as well.
My mom don’t wear her ring when she’s doing any type of house work or any other type of work. She only used a few times when she went out. That’s why we strongly believe it’s the quality of the setting job.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Probably. Or perhaps the prongs themselves just lack strength. I've bent prongs on those stamped casting mass produced heads without even trying.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results