shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile purchase: EC, 6 carat, I VVS1

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
ADE1692C-735B-4BD8-8B69-A344FD1238EA.png 6C891C31-FB74-470C-BB89-5587E000342A.png

I’m nervous. I’ve never bought online before AND never bought an I color before.

I think this looks like a great deal. If I go to an H will that make a noticeable difference because it does in cost....

I could go down in size but I love round numbers. My husband’s fave number is four and mine is two so six is perfect.

Thoughts? Should I look for something in a length/width ratio closer to 1.5? Better color? Is the table/depth good or does it matter?

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great calculation device to help you understand your measurements, and what it potentially will look like on your finger....
You can even use this for comparison purposes, if you find others you like, and you are trying to eliminate one over the other.
As for your questions about color & l x w ratio, that is all personal preference.
Have you seen EC’s in person to know if you are color sensitive, up to a specific threshold? Step cuts tend to show more body color than brilliants. GIA H v GIA I should show minimal difference. However, a GIA G v GIA I will be more noticeable.

Honestly, you need to find out what the return policy is from this vendor. The best way to know for certain is to view this stone in person, in as many light environments as possible to determine if it suits your tastes & expectations. If it does...YAY! If not, send it back & start over, knowing where your color sensitivity is.

My sweet spot for EC’s l x w ratio is 1.35-1.50:1. You have to decide yours. **edited by moderator, no linking to affiliate sites**

Last edited by a moderator:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, can you post the actual link to the diamond? If you are worried that someone else might buy it in the meantime, you should request that BN puts it on hold.

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Wow.... that is a big stone!! If you'd like to go up to an H in colour but the cost is too high you could almost certainly drop the clarity from VVS1 as you are paying a premium for that. I don't think the slight colour difference from H to I would be discernible to most people in smaller stones, I'm not sure though if it would be more noticeable in a diamond of this size.

If the diamond is cut well that will help to hide any tint and also once they're set tint is harder to see. I have heard though that the fancy cuts tend to show tint more than rounds. The colour of the metal that the diamond is set in can also help to mask any tint.

I don't know too much about the ratios or tables and depths of Emerald cuts but I'm sure some of the others will be able to help you with those questions.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
The stone has already been removed from the website and reserved for us. We are completing the purchase this Monday since the confirmation that the stone was available came on Friday night and banks were closed so we couldn’t wire.

This is the link they sent. Not sure if it will work.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10288363

In my head I had convinced myself that I needed at least a H but I’ve been looking in real life and I honestly have not been able to see a perceptible difference. I’ve even seen J that I thought was pretty but it was in a jewelry store so may have been lighting.

I can’t tell if I’m just being a color snob or not. I certainly don’t want to pay the price of a higher color if it won’t really make a difference. I can go higher in cost but I’d rather not. It’s already a big expense. The good news is my husband keeps telling me to make sure I have no questions about it so...I came here to ask! I guess it’s all preference because on paper it should be amazing.

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MrsKBP I am not crazy about the emerald you selected. Face up, it seems that all facets “turn off” at the same time and it will have a dark appearance.

Here is one that I like, but I am not sure if it will be 100% eye-clean. Nonetheless, the color is beautiful.
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/6.02-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-5609413

ETA: I realize that this is an IGI stone, so the color is probably closer to an I, but the cut is lovely:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...t/5.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-2424231

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The JA 6.02ct VS stone would be a no for me* due to the dark carbon inclusions against the table. I’d be spending my life trying to clean them off....lol!
With a stone that size, those inclusions will scream out.
Let me see what I can find...

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, you have a very healthy budget to not settle for a poorly cut stone.

Some other suggestions include;
1. Look into BGD signature emerald cut stones. I have seen them in person and they are simply gorgeous. They are the only ideal emerald cut stones on the market (as far as I know). BGD can custom cut a diamond for you in the size that you are interested. You can inquire with them further about the process. Here is a link to the largest one they currently have in stock, just so you can see how they look:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...s/2.385-h-if-emerald-diamond-ags-104097991005
Including a pic as well:
B7D8DA07-3FD9-4C9E-8916-EDFFAF727DB9.jpeg

2. Look into vintage emerald cuts. Some vintage emerald cuts are beyond stunning. Here is an example of one that belongs to a PSer:
https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/5-68ct-antique-emerald-cut-diamond-gia-k-vs2
JbG is a good source for antique emerald cut stones.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

1. Look into BGD signature emerald cut stones. I have seen them in person and they are simply gorgeous. They are the only ideal emerald cut stones on the market (as far as I know). BGD can custom cut a diamond for you in the size that you are interested. You can inquire with them further about the process. Here is a link to the largest one they currently have in stock, just so you can see how they look:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...s/2.385-h-if-emerald-diamond-ags-104097991005
2. Look into vintage emerald cuts. Some vintage emerald cuts are beyond stunning. Here is an example of one that belongs to a PSer:

I second these recommendations. I also recommend reaching out to @Karl_K at Diamonds By Lauren, and @diagem Yoram at GemConcepts for help in sourcing an EC that has beautiful proportions, that meets your criterion, and that meets your budget requirements! All are extremely knowledgeable, and can help you find the “perfect” 6.00ct EC!!

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
The JA 6.02ct VS stone would be a no for me* due to the dark carbon inclusions against the table. I’d be spending my life trying to clean them off....lol!
With a stone that size, those inclusions will scream out.
Let me see what I can find...
No go for me on anything lower than I in color and even that has me holding my breath to see what it looks like.
What is it that makes it poorly cut? I want to see what you’re seeing and understand. Thanks!

Including a pic as well:
B7D8DA07-3FD9-4C9E-8916-EDFFAF727DB9.jpeg

I’ve actually bought a necklace from her. She was one of the first places I went to look for an antique or vintage but she had nothing in the colors I like....for now.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto...too many facets showing up as black at one time. This stone would probably not be for me.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
I think Brian Gavin is in Houston? If so I can give him a call! For some reason I thought he only specialized in round.

Is it possible to tell me what part is not a good cut for this particular stone so I understand?

I thought it would be excellent since the table and depth were on the excellent range and then it is also excellent polish & symmetry.

Just want to understand it better.

Thanks!

Reactions: AV_

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Brian Gavin is in Houston? If so I can give him a call! For some reason I thought he only specialized in round.

Is it possible to tell me what part is not a good cut for this particular stone so I understand?

I thought it would be excellent since the table and depth were on the excellent range and then it is also excellent polish & symmetry.

Just want to understand it better.

Thanks!

BGD is in Houston, correct. They have a few signature cuts besides super-ideal rounds - cushion H&A, princess and the newest shape is the Emerald cut for ideal light return.

I have always admired step cuts, but until I saw his amazing emeralds in person, I never understood what the hype is all about!

Fancy shapes cannot be selected by the numbers. I am not an expert in emerald cuts, but a good emerald cut will have facets that constantly turn on and off to produce even light return. The stone from BN has facets that all turn off when face up, which is how you will look at a diamond most of the time. This in turn makes the diamond look lifeless, dull and dark. You are going to be spending a great deal of money not to get the best possible stone for your budget.

I would be curious to see what BGD says about a possible custom cut. I would advice that you be open to a slightly smaller stone. It might not necessarily face-up smaller, but diamonds cut for ideal light return usually come with a premium. I remember Brian Gavin mentioning that appx 40% of the diamond rough yields into one of his signature emerald cuts, which is also why those stones retail at a premium.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely would not spend that amount of money on any diamond without some advice and evaluation from an expert. If BDG can source or cut ideal cut emerald diamonds, I would definitely wait and speak to him.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like everyone pointed out, this makes me worried for the stone— all those black facets turning off at the same time.

I would cancel if you can because you have to send it back and it’s a lot of money to be traveling back and forth.

We can find you a better one.

What is your total budget and ring preference?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you buy from BlueNile, especially a fancy cut, be ready to return it. I'm not saying it will be an ugly stone. But I do hope you know exactly what you are looking for, meaning you know what a beautiful emerald cut looks like and how it behaves. Fancy cuts are really difficult to evaluate with only numbers. You don't even have an ASET.
On another note, I didn't know BGD specialized in emeralds too. Thanks @SimoneDi !! I might check out something from him. I would trust his stones if he is cutting them. It is so hard to find a beautiful step cut. I went to my trusted local jeweler who stocks lots of stones. She brought out three, excellent blah, blah, blah and they just weren't pretty enough. Some facets did not turn on. The steps weren't even. Skinny center facet. Even if you got to see 20 IRL, finding one well cut one is rare.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl k is no longer with diamonds by Lauren

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have lots to say about emerald cuts as I looked for almost a year for a 3.5 - 4 carat emerald cut. Ended up with a 3.56 which faces up like a 4ct. I previously owned a 3 carat EC. So...length to width ratio is completely personal preference, I have come to realize I really like 1.3 or below. I’m not a fan of the long skinny emerald cut that many are. My sweet spot is an I, well cut VS2. I feel that’s the biggest bang for your buck. I have now owned two I VS2 Emerald cuts, they’ve been completely eye clean and white enough for me. I do not look at numbers when it comes to ECs, specifically table and depth. I actually like the lower depths because I feel that you are not wasting the carat weight in the bottom. Larger tables can be beautiful as well and throw off huge flashes of light. The biggest thing that bugs me in ECs is large, dark, dead spots. That can happen with ideal numbers, so you have to see in person. As long as you still have an emerald cut that sparkles and performs well, numbers are just numbers. I have seen many DEAD ECs in person with perfect numbers, go figure.

I reached out to Brian Gavin for a custom cut, in my carat range which was 4 carats... it was nearly going to take forever. He may be able to source you a beautiful 6 carat but I have a feeling that will take a little bit of time since he is so busy. I would reach out to Sam at Ice Rock Diamonds, he is super fast and gets on it quickly. Recently he found a 6ct antique Emerald for another PriceScoper. He gets to work fast, and listens to what you want. I would also reach out to IDJ in New York, they found me my current EC and will work tirelessly to find you what you want. Good luck!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I looked at a few of the suppliers I favor because of their prices. They're both good suppliers though not reknown on PS. The first diamond has lovely lively flashes and a nice slightly elongated ratio. I don't like the cut of the BN one at all. Table and depth are only two of the important figures, the thing that results in a diamonds beauty is how all the facets are cut, the angles and whether they compliment each other. You need to assess this carefuly with your eyes. Emerald cuts come in different ratios, but also have different facet widths - some are chunky facets and some are slim and sparkly facets. The looks for each are quite different. I guess I tend to favor slim facets like this following diamond; but it's personal choice.

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/5.92-ct-F-VS1-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D41724269

This next one is well worth requesting a video and ASET to assess. It wont have any clarity issues and is great value for money. It has strong fluoro which I think will make it even more stunning.

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/3414480

OP at this price range you have every reasonable expectation of being assisted to find your diamond. I wouldn't be buying anything without a person to person consultation and preferably seeing the diamonds in person. If you are in a position to see in person, New York might be the place to plan a trip. There are several vendors physically located around there.

Don't rush in and you can end up with an absolutely stunning diamond. I second what others have said about consulting with some of the known experts, but at the very least, if you choose drop shopping; make sure you know as much about the diamond as possible. Have it examined, request an ASET, make sure you can return it.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the Yadav one @scarsmum recommended based off stats! But as mentioned, you need video. If you love it, you could even see if IDJ could beat the price which I am sure they could. Did you say what your budget is?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem I see in this stone from the profile view is that it has a really flat crown. I try to find stones with tables of 65 or less, but prefer closer to 60 or less. You have more crown showing if you have a smaller table. But that crown is just too flat to me. I color is kind of that borderline color where the high end closer to H is really pretty good, but if it is at the low end closer to J, you might see the tint a little more. I think I color is a good choice, though, for such a large stone.

I would totally not consider custom cutting a 6 ct stone. Number one, it will cost more than the stones you are seeing that are already cut. And number 2, they cannot with 100% accuracy tell you the color and clarity of the stone they'd be cutting. You may or may not love the end product. It's too much risk for the buyer and seller. I would not buy a diamond that I couldn't see first, especially at that size.

38216FB1-C73D-4639-BD21-6C4E00402DAC.png
This is my choice for that much money.

Um, YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

https://www.joganibh.com/

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at a few of the suppliers I favor because of their prices. They're both good suppliers though not reknown on PS. The first diamond has lovely lively flashes and a nice slightly elongated ratio. I don't like the cut of the BN one at all. Table and depth are only two of the important figures, the thing that results in a diamonds beauty is how all the facets are cut, the angles and whether they compliment each other. You need to assess this carefuly with your eyes. Emerald cuts come in different ratios, but also have different facet widths - some are chunky facets and some are slim and sparkly facets. The looks for each are quite different. I guess I tend to favor slim facets like this following diamond; but it's personal choice.

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/5.92-ct-F-VS1-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D41724269

This next one is well worth requesting a video and ASET to assess. It wont have any clarity issues and is great value for money. It has strong fluoro which I think will make it even more stunning.

OP at this price range you have every reasonable expectation of being assisted to find your diamond. I wouldn't be buying anything without a person to person consultation and preferably seeing the diamonds in person. If you are in a position to see in person, New York might be the place to plan a trip. There are several vendors physically located around there.

Don't rush in and you can end up with an absolutely stunning diamond. I second what others have said about consulting with some of the known experts, but at the very least, if you choose drop shopping; make sure you know as much about the diamond as possible. Have it examined, request an ASET, make sure you can return it.

I’d look into the Yadov EC, as well. A static photo, video, ASET & in person examination are all necessary to know if it meets your expectations. It’s 7.01ct, but who’s counting? Lucky #7, anyone?!?
This type of purchase should really be done in person, as many have mentioned. DH & I didn’t even go by numbers with my EC & it’s 1.07ct!! Up close, personal examination, and under the microscope! We weren’t choosing, blindly. Online purchasing is great, if you know what you’re looking for, you have all the visual aids possible, and the return policy fits your window. If you have the opportunity to meet, in person, any of the above named vendors, that would be very wise.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Make sure you see an antique EC in person. Very different than modern or traditional. Way too big of a purchase to not know what you LOVE! Once you really narrow down the specifics, shopping online or with certain vendors can be the most cost effective way. But you HAVE to know what you want down to specifics.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Addendum - I thought the clarity on the diamond without details was VVS2. It may in fact have clarity issues.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
Addendum - I thought the clarity on the diamond without details was VVS2. It may in fact have clarity issues.
The stone I have on hold is an I, VVS1. From the video I can not see any inclusions. We have the stone on hold and plan on making the purchase on Monday. We should receive it on 09/26. We have 30 days to review & return or review and keep. It’s Blue Nile so it’s 100% refundable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results