shape
carat
color
clarity

Between a rock and a diamond

carcarat

Rough_Rock
hi All,
I need help...I currently have a 1.20 Carat Oval diamond. Don't judge me, its EGL USA graded, F SI1. I think it's beautiful. For my 40th birthday my husband said I can upgrade. The jeweler gives 100% for what we paid for. With that said, my husband said I can spend an additional $5500 on my upgrade. After reading so much on how EGL USA is crap, I don't know what to do. I already gave this jeweler a $500 deposit required for them to bring in more diamonds. They have some GIA diamonds in their store but they are mostly EGL USA and the 4-5 diamonds they have shown me has been EGL. It's been about a week and so far they haven't shown me anything I really like. I don't know if it is hard for a place like this to bring in options. I feel like I myself don't have many options since I already screwed myself...twice. Opinions? Options? Ideas?...anyone...

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have good working knowledge of cut and grade of diamonds (I wear a diamond band), so I cannot weigh in on your delimma. BUT, I did want to chime in and say that your oval in your avatar looks lovely! I think ovals are such a beautiful cut of diamond.

I'm sure the experienced PSers will weigh in for you!

carcarat

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your response. That is my ring now and yes, like I mentioned, the diamond I have is beautiful, but you know, a girl wants bigger...

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Simply tell the jeweler to call in GIA stones or AGS graded stones and explain if he can ONLY get EGL any stone would have to be sent into GIA ANYWAY before purchase or setting for regrading .

carcarat

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice. I will request only GIA/AGS but I feel like I'm at their mercy. If I become too demanding I'm afraid they will charge me wayyy more...cause they can and I hope my $500 is refundable. :confused:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all congratulations on your future upgrade!!! While I'm no expert, I can share my personal experience. When my husband suggested an upgrade, we ended up with a lovely 1.51ct, VS1, E color MRB that had an EGL USA certificate. I didn't know anything about labs at that time, but I did know enough to have my ring inspected by an independent, reputable appraiser. In my case, everything was exactly as stated on the certificate. We did end up upgrading again and this time did choose to go with a diamond with GIA certification. So, my advice would be to ask the jeweler to get you stones with GIA or AGS certification or, if you really fall in love with a EGL graded stone, ask if they will send it to GIA for a second opinion. You can offer to pay for the service if all is as it should be, but make it clear that you won't pay if the two labs don't agree.

carcarat

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I honestly think that if I were to have my diamond appraised or even graded by GIA, it wouldn't be too far off than what is on the EGL cert. just me personal opinion of course.. I think you and the other person that responded is right, I need to request GIA/AGS only diamonds. Im just extremely frustrated. I told them exactly what I wanted, color, l/w ratio, etc... they have showed me everything but that. So asking for even more such as GIA/AGS.... I'm afraid I will never hear from them.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like they're not listening to you. That's a red flag in my opinion. They probably have inventory they want to move instead of calling in more stones for you. I assume you are sticking with them because they are giving you 100% credit. If you really feel like you have to continue to deal with them, make the purchase contingent on an independent appraisal. If you decide to do that, be sure to get everything in writing before you close the deal.

carcarat

Rough_Rock
It sounds like they're not listening to you. That's a red flag in my opinion. They probably have inventory they want to move instead of calling in more stones for you. I assume you are sticking with them because they are giving you 100% credit. If you really feel like you have to continue to deal with them, make the purchase contingent on an independent appraisal. If you decide to do that, be sure to get everything in writing before you close the deal.

Yes, that is the ONLY reason why I am sticking with them. I contacted a place in NY that supposedly pays a fair price for diamonds, I've considered getting my diamond to get a GIA cert since most jewelers won't touch a EGL cert, that way I can sell it and start over instead of throwing more money at these people...I'm weighing out all my options trying to get the least screwed.

This jeweler is a mom/pop shop so I don't know what their inventory is like. They always say "we have more in the back" or "we have to check inventory in LA and NY and have them send it to us"..either way, I don't hear from them unless I go into the store, and even when I have called, they are too busy and don't return phone calls.....and I'm over here trying to give you more money? Is it that hard to find diamonds that meet my specifications?

Ether way, I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult right? Like I mentioned earlier, Its only been about a week

Last edited:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is the ONLY reason why I am sticking with them. I contacted a place in NY that supposedly pays a fair price for diamonds, I've considered getting my diamond to get a GIA cert since most jewelers won't touch a EGL cert, that way I can sell it and start over instead of throwing more money at these people...I'm weighing out all my options trying to get the least screwed.

This jeweler is a mom/pop shop so I don't know what their inventory is like. They always say "we have more in the back" or "we have to check inventory in LA and NY and have them send it to us"..either way, I don't hear from them unless I go into the store, and even when I have called, they are too busy and don't return phone calls.....and I'm over here trying to give you more money? Is it that hard to find diamonds that meet my specifications?

Ether way, I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult right? Like I mentioned earlier, Its only been about a week

Since you still have your diamond, why don't you call Jonathan at August Vintage or ID Jewelers to see if they could do something for you. They both are highly respected pricescope vendors. I'm not sure if they would take someone else stones, but it couldn't hurt to explain your situation and ask if they take trades, etc. It really shouldn't be this hard. I would be polite but firm in dealing with the original jeweler. If they can't or won't give you what you want, ask for a refund. If they refuse that, I would insist on getting the new stone recertified. If everything is legitimate, there shouldn't be a problem with any of this. It makes me sad because this should be enjoyable, not stressful. I hope it all works out for you. Please share pics when you get your new ring.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would try and get your $500 refunded and go elsewhere. Why should you pay $500 for THEM to have inventory to show YOU? Would you tolerate that at a shoe store? Or a furniture store? I wouldn't! My guess is that they are showing you overpriced subpar stones and you may end up throwing good money after bad. You might consider sending in your current stone to GIA or AGS to get an accurate grading, so that you can sell it either privately, or on consignment and then purchase your upgrade through a Price Scope approved vendor. I think that in the end, you will end up with a better value than if you stick with mom and pop. It really bothers me that they took $500 from you to "get inventory" and aren't even showing you what you asked for! Unbelievable! :angryfire:

carcarat

Rough_Rock
UPDATE:
So the last time they showed me diamond at above mentioned jewelry store was on March 9th. I went in on March 15 expressing my frustration after not hearing from them...ever...and the owner stated that they have a 1.80 carat coming in, GIA cert, from Israel....or somewhere. I was excited being that it was GIA cert and I was willing to wait and see what they were bringing in. It is now the 20th and I have not heard from them. I think I am now at a point where if I don't hear from them by Friday then I'm done. I'm just going tp keep what I have :(
I don't want to lose too much money and the dimensions of my diamond now is close to a 1.50 carats so if I want to see a difference that is worth the money I would have to go closer to a 2.00.
My diamond now:
1.20 carats
measurements:
8.71 x 6.21 x 3.24

sad. frustrated. no 40th birthday upgrade for me. :(2

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE:
So the last time they showed me diamond at above mentioned jewelry store was on March 9th. I went in on March 15 expressing my frustration after not hearing from them...ever...and the owner stated that they have a 1.80 carat coming in, GIA cert, from Israel....or somewhere. I was excited being that it was GIA cert and I was willing to wait and see what they were bringing in. It is now the 20th and I have not heard from them. I think I am now at a point where if I don't hear from them by Friday then I'm done. I'm just going tp keep what I have :(
I don't want to lose too much money and the dimensions of my diamond now is close to a 1.50 carats so if I want to see a difference that is worth the money I would have to go closer to a 2.00.
My diamond now:
1.20 carats
measurements:
8.71 x 6.21 x 3.24

sad. frustrated. no 40th birthday upgrade for me. :(2
Oh no!!! Don't give up! Get your money back and try to work with another jeweler. :((

carcarat

Rough_Rock
Oh no!!! Don't give up! Get your money back and try to work with another jeweler. :((

well, I did the concierge thing through August vintage and Jonathon already emailed me back. Quick!
so, we'll see...
I'm going to get my deposit back and let them know that I will be giving them a poor review on Yelp. What else can I do. I'll be losing thousands of dollars though which I'm still debating if it is worth it.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad you contacted Jonathan! He's such a nice person and very knowledgeable. I think you'll be very happy with his advice/service. My fingers are crossed that all goes well.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@carcarat You may want to click ‘report concern’ on your first post above and ask the mods to move your thread to RockyTalky (or start a new thread there) where you may get more input/feedback from prosumers about options for trading up/in toward a new diamond, or even help you find a new diamond. This section of PS is usually more about showing off finished pieces, whereas Rocky Talky is more about the journey to buy a diamond or setting. ;)2

carcarat

Rough_Rock
@carcarat You may want to click ‘report concern’ on your first post above and ask the mods to move your thread to RockyTalky (or start a new thread there) where you may get more input/feedback from prosumers about options for trading up/in toward a new diamond, or even help you find a new diamond. This section of PS is usually more about showing off finished pieces, whereas Rocky Talky is more about the journey to buy a diamond or setting. ;)2
alrighty. Thanks. new here.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mom and Pop stores may only deal with one supplier since they don't carry a huge inventory. When they call in stones for you to view, they are having to pay shipping costs from the supplier to their store and back if the customer doesn't buy the stone. So I understand the $500 deposit to make sure the customer is serious about the upgrade. The fact is, they don't usually have access to every stone we can see listed online. We can find stones more easily than they can in many cases. So really, I wouldn't be too mad at them. Great ovals are hard to find and you need to look through MANY to find a good one. You'll take a loss selling your old stone, possibly, but you'll likely get a better price on a new stone.

Start looking at sites such as James Allen to see what they have in the size and price range that you want. Then when they are narrowed down, vendors such as Jonathan or ID Jewelry can call them in for you and evaluate them. Often they can offer a better price than is listed on JA.

carcarat

Rough_Rock
Mom and Pop stores may only deal with one supplier since they don't carry a huge inventory. When they call in stones for you to view, they are having to pay shipping costs from the supplier to their store and back if the customer doesn't buy the stone. So I understand the $500 deposit to make sure the customer is serious about the upgrade. The fact is, they don't usually have access to every stone we can see listed online. We can find stones more easily than they can in many cases. So really, I wouldn't be too mad at them. Great ovals are hard to find and you need to look through MANY to find a good one. You'll take a loss selling your old stone, possibly, but you'll likely get a better price on a new stone.

Start looking at sites such as James Allen to see what they have in the size and price range that you want. Then when they are narrowed down, vendors such as Jonathan or ID Jewelry can call them in for you and evaluate them. Often they can offer a better price than is listed on JA.

This was very informative, thank you. I get the mom/pop shop limited inventory. Just don't tell me you're waiting for the carrier to deliver 2 stones from NY, and I don't hear anything from you, and I don't like the lack of communication. Why am I always the one calling or coming in the store for an update.

So, a place in NY gave me an estimate of what they think they would buy the diamond for. I would be losing between $2-3,000 depending on what they offer.

I have been looking at JA and Blue Nile, but it is so hard to tell online even with the videos. Especially when I think I have to go with an SI1 clarity. I had no idea Jonathon or other places would do that for you...I will definitely take advantage of that!..thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results