shape
carat
color
clarity

Better to size up or size down?

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I’m looking at a ring that is only available in whole sizes (5 or 6), but I am a very solid 5.5. Would it be better to buy the smaller size and thin out the bottom or the bigger size and put something in the band (or whatever you do).

Attached is the style I’m looking at. Also, I don’t have a regular jeweler - is sizing something any place can do? Thanks!!

Attachments

• 4EF0AE57-D78F-4F44-AA25-D8BB4431E453.png
    4EF0AE57-D78F-4F44-AA25-D8BB4431E453.png
    298.4 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: AV_

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size up. 1/2 a size could come in handy when it's hot and your fingers naturally swell. If it feels way too loose, you can always add one of those ring sizing noodles.

As for having a jeweler resize it, gold is easy but for platinum I think laser welding is best. Check on Yelp for local options.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sizing a ring down is far better than sizing up as far as shank integrity. Sizing down requires one cut in the bottom of the shank, solder or lazer the gap together vs sizing up which can be more difficult. For just a half size, purchasing the size 6 and adding sizing beads may be a good option for you. Any decent jeweler can do this for you.

Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results