shape
carat
color
clarity

Ballerina Ring Setting - dated or not?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always liked the Ballerina ring setting for a chubby EC or Asscher cut Emerald, and it looks like my dream is a big step towards reality.

However, I have reservations that this setting may be considered as rather "dated", and it is definitely against my "no prongs/claws" preference.

What do you think?

Here are some inspiration ring settings I could find on the web, mainly from Lang's:

1-68-carat-emerald-platinum-and-diamond-ballerina-ring_1_30-1-10279 (1).jpg
product-platinum-640-ct-emerald-cut-emerald-and-diamond-ring-69-670.jpg be51262b41e917c28fcd6c569aa18c70.jpg
emerald-ballerina-cocktail-ring-hh287e (1).jpg

Thanks for your input in advance.

DK :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a gorgeous style that’s rather timeless IMO. First touch of this, muttiple baguettes, appeared in Art Deco styles, then in the fabulous 1950’s cocktail era, and through to today. I have seen plenty of modern ballerina settings. I have a pendant with that style, which is just pure light around the stone. I personally do not think it’s dated unless compared with ultra trendy styles, which will surely be dated eventually.

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not "dated" but it is "of an era"...it evokes 20's style to me. Depending on the design you choose it can look more classic/timeless or more trendy/potential for looking dated imho

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love, love the classic style but hate the halo of round diamonds around the stone. IMHO the halo of round diamonds ruins the flow and symmetry of the baguettes and makes the ring look chunky.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love a ballerina style and agree with others that it’s a definite Deco era vibe if it’s done in an antique style.

I think the dated connotations may come from the fact that the style was reinterpreted in the 80’s too, and some ballerina style settings can definitely lean towards a Dynasty style if they get too far from antique leanings!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the execution in the first place. I don't overly like the first ring you posted, two prongy and bulky and I don't think I would have liked it when it was first made either. The others are lovely. However like other posters I do think they evoke a certain era, for me I'm with @Bluegemz that would be mid century, it's not a style I associate with Art Deco.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F80C5DF1-B30C-4ED4-B7B4-43671055DAF6.jpeg BF4BAB7D-9F09-4925-A1AD-C1D501F7E42C.jpeg @meely what I was expressing is that the start of multiple, aligned baguette diamonds around a stone can be seen already in Art Deco styles. A good example can be seen in my ring here.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E129C0EA-B145-4590-B957-1E3C117DC6B9.jpeg Here is a modern example @ 2000 of this style in my jade pendant.

Generally, when I think of ‘dated’ jewelry, I associate that with styles which were not so great, or with stylistic details which are inherently linked to a certain time period. In my experience, the designs that are pure tend to persist through multiple time periods because they capture an essence which cannot be simplified further, free of extra , stylistic details. In general, my opinion is that Classics tend to look far less dated due to ongoing relevance.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1B5C7B65-78BE-4420-B329-DEBEE86E2024.jpeg Here is a very modern example of a ballerina style, which is far more trendy, and will very likely be linked to this time period due to the extra details which are a part of the present bank of styles, such as irregular placement.( still love this though, personally) it should be noted that irregularity of placement started in the late 50’s- 60’s, but is inherently linked to that time due to the unique and specific expression. It has been recycled in And inspired some modern styles.
See the ballerina-ish halo ring in this picture...

Last edited:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
F80C5DF1-B30C-4ED4-B7B4-43671055DAF6.jpeg BF4BAB7D-9F09-4925-A1AD-C1D501F7E42C.jpeg @meely what I was expressing is that the start of multiple, aligned baguette diamonds around a stone can be seen already in Art Deco styles. A good example can be seen in my ring here.
Misread your post. nice ring!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love ballerina style! A modern designer is making a killing selling it: Heidi Gibson. The prices are crazy. I would love a CS ballerina.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have always loved ballerina style. I think it's timeless. Love your pendant and ring BG! Can't believe how well your nail polish matches your jade pendant!!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always loved ballerina style. I think it's timeless. Love your pendant and ring BG! Can't believe how well your nail polish matches your jade pendant!!!
Thank you, @Luce ! I got the nails done last Summer soon after having purchased the pendant. Loved this lavender look on the nails. Now I’m thinking that it would be fun to do again.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your insight.
I agree the halo with rounds around the stone looks clunky.
I would like to bezel the centre stone and the baguette skirt if at all possible.
The setting is going to cost a lot more than the emerald as it will be a synthetic cut by Jeff White - it is the only way I can have a nice 2-3ct emerald!
Here is another design that I like:
jor04344-1-500x500.jpg
DK :))

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only have one ring in a ballerina setting. At one point I thought about changing it for a more modern look but friends talked me out of it. I do love how the baguettes put on a little light show as your hand moves.
IMG_0015.jpg IMG_0012.jpg

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
This is my mum's ballerina style RB diamond ring being modelled by my 6 year old niece. I didn't like it when I was younger and thought it looked dated. But it's grown on me and now I love it. It's a sentimental piece.
2539DDC3-F038-42C6-B265-B4053E482201.jpeg

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
I only have one ring in a ballerina setting. At one point I thought about changing it for a more modern look but friends talked me out of it. I do love how the baguettes put on a little light show as your hand moves.

Love this! My mum also has a similar piece. I need to go take it out for a spin.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous Jade and setting, thanks for sharing! :love::love::love:

Sadly Jade does not agree with me, hey ho!

DK :))

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that ballerina rings are quite pretty! I was just admiring a jade/diamond one very similar to @lilmosun's ring on display in the diamond district during my lunch yesterday!

I think that if crafted properly, small prongs, delicate metal work with the right stone and the right placement of the baguettes, this is quite a timeless style. I agree that poorly executed versions can be very "date-y" as they don't seem to hold that classic ethereal quality I love about these rings.

@Bluegemz - not to threadjack too much, but you have my favorite hands on PS, long long long fingers culminating in those beautiful almond nails!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a BALLER of a badass ballerina! :love:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_4257.JPG IMG_4256.JPG Deco is right... come and Deco-rate mah FINGER!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
34856700-2B60-49D8-8063-5C5232BEE6DA.png 56871867-0D17-4BCB-9803-75CC7C02AF1C.png Hi! Well, I will be the opposing view and I think it is a dated look, frumpy and a bit old mall jewelry to me. Jewelry is of course subjective but I wanted to share my honest opinion as it seems many people here love the look.

I have an emerald I am looking to set and here are some of the styles I like for an emerald or emerald cut stone.

But of course you may think these are hideous! I love both these styles.
Just some ideas to share with you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results