shape
carat
color
clarity

Are lab grown diamonds more enviro friendly?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Garry, I noticed that this article mentions job creation in mining countries. But it conveniently omits the comparison between mined/grown diamonds and the use of child slave labor. Hmm...

Care to comment?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The thing that blows my mind in the new FTC guidance is they aren’t asking Diamond Nexus type CZ sellers to do more to distinguish their products from “synthetic” (MMD) diamonds. Lots of CZ sellers call CZs “synthetic” diamonds but the guidance clearly refers to MMDs as “synthetic.” Very confusing for consumers IMO.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry, I noticed that this article mentions job creation in mining countries. But it conveniently omits the comparison between mined/grown diamonds and the use of child slave labor. Hmm...

Care to comment?
These people made it possible for very young children to register as miners in conflict zones.
I believe holding high and mighty first world attitudes does not help third world people struggling for survival.
http://www.ddiglobal.org/who-we-are/board
I do not sanction slavery, but it is easily possible to show that very young children are being taken advantage of thru the lens of western journalism. When in fact the situation is far more complex.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Garry, some of your arguments were used to justify child slave labor in the mines and cotton mills of our country during the Industrial Revolution.

Last edited:

sparklynurse

Rough_Rock
Garry, some of your arguments were used to justify child slave labor in the mines and cotton mills of our country during the Industrial Revolution.

And, indeed, throughout much of human history.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Next week's article: "Do Lab Created Diamonds Contribute to the Starvation of Third World Child Laborers?"

Next month's article: "Do Lab Created Diamonds Made by Power of Renewable Energy Contribute to Bird Genocide?"

Next year's article: "How Come None of This Is Working?"

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Next week's article: "Do Lab Created Diamonds Contribute to the Starvation of Third World Child Laborers?"

Next month's article: "Do Lab Created Diamonds Made by Power of Renewable Energy Contribute to Bird Genocide?"

Next year's article: "How Come None of This Is Working?"
:)
BatGirl do you know who any of those people on the board that 'allow and encourage' child labor are and stand for?
Some of these people are the leading bleeding hearts in saving people in Africa and South America.
Why would they encourage child labor?
Because children are orpahened. Their parents have AIDs or hep or malaria or G knows what horrible afflictions.
Come down of the high horse. Donate to DDI.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
:)
BatGirl do you know who any of those people on the board that 'allow and encourage' child labor are and stand for?
Some of these people are the leading bleeding hearts in saving people in Africa and South America.
Why would they encourage child labor?
Because children are orpahened. Their parents have AIDs or hep or malaria or G knows what horrible afflictions.
Come down of the high horse. Donate to DDI.

Your post is kind of incomprehensible gibberish, and I'm not sure what your point is.

I suppose I have no choice but to continue to make my own choices on what I consume and what industries I support.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
And, indeed, throughout much of human history.
FYI
http://www.ddiglobal.org/login/resources/mds-manual-april-2019.pdf
From DDI:
23 April 2019

This manual describes the Maendeleo Diamond Standards™ (MDS) and the MDS Certification System. Since the initiation of the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) in 2003, a plethora of systems, protocols and guidance documents have been developed for diamonds, coloured stones and precious minerals. Until now, however, there has been no a comprehensive approach to artisanal diamond mining, not least because of the complexity, informality and opacity of the sector.

The artisanal diamond fields of Africa and the conflict diamonds they produced were at the epicentre of several of the worst conflicts in recent memory. And while better regulation and improved diligence are part of a preventive response to conflict, they are not enough. For the average artisanal diamond miner, little has changed in twenty years.

Maendeleo is a Swahili word meaning development and progress. The MDS Certification System is more than a set of rules, therefore; it is a unique effort to support artisanal diamond miners and their communities, and to ensure their inclusion in a broader system of responsible supply chains. The idea is not just better prices for artisanally mined diamonds, but a system of legalized mining operations that respect human rights, health and safety, and support environmental sustainability.

The Standards are an outcome of several pilot efforts in recent years, developed and managed by the Diamond Development Initiative and its partners, mainly in Sierra Leone. This Manual and its companion documents are, however, generic—in the sense that with country-specific addenda, this document can be used in most countries where diamonds are mined artisanally.

The Diamond Development Initiative looks forward to expanding the MDS Certification System, and to working with governments, civil society, industry, miners and their communities as we learn to apply and make the Maendeleo Diamond Standards more effective.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results