shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine?

fourAM

Rough_Rock
42E63352-6AFC-45AB-8804-E129C27A45C5.jpeg

I saw this picture and love the color of the stone/the setting with the halo of pears.

Would this be considered an aquamarine?

Sorry the picture is blurry!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with whitewave. That color is more often seen in blue topaz. If those were natural, untreated aquamarines, then they would be very expensive.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

Do you know of any reputable vendors that sell topaz?

Finewatergems.com

Look up on the sticky at the top of the page for vendors, go to the last post.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uugh, no finewater doesn’t have topaz.

I’m sure others will chime in soon enough

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mastercut gems has nice topaz, so does litnon.com

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there’s a gem show in your area, blue topaz is abundant and low priced. I wouldn’t spend more than $10/ct, unless it was some fancy precision cut by a known lapidary.

Blue topaz comes in many shades of blue, from a light sky blue to a very dark blue, often coined “London blue.” That looks like one of the mid to light toned ranges.

fourAM

Rough_Rock
If there’s a gem show in your area, blue topaz is abundant and low priced. I wouldn’t spend more than $10/ct, unless it was some fancy precision cut by a known lapidary.

Blue topaz comes in many shades of blue, from a light sky blue to a very dark blue, often coined “London blue.” That looks like one of the mid to light toned ranges.

How does topaz compare to zircon? Is zircon similar in color to the stones pictured above?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does topaz compare to zircon? Is zircon similar in color to the stones pictured above?
Zircon is much more sparkly than topaz, but yes they can be similar colors. Depends on your preferences.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to Lovedogs comments, just wanted to add that topaz is more durable. Blue zircon is heated to get its blue color, Topaz is bombarded with neutrons or electrons to get its color. The nuclear regulatory commission has to verify safe radioactivity levels on this stone. The darker colors are the ones that are more “iffy.” Some blue topaz is coated too, which can wear off. Most of it is safe for wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results