shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique sapphire and diamond ring..with a story

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This story may run long….read at your leisure.

This past Saturday I took a ring I had managed to bend (it made me ill when it happened) to the pawnshop where I make regular visits because they have jewelers there that are top-notch. When I got there, there was only one young man waiting on customers at the jewelry counter. I didn’t see the usual personnel there anywhere and it wasn’t busy, so while he waited on another customer down for Cruising the Coast, a yearly event in south Mississippi, I browsed the jewelry trays.

Big mistake….(not really)

I spotted a pretty ring that I had seen before. Two diamonds with a pear shaped sapphire. They had taken it out of the case before for me to check. It wasn’t a big ring but it was unusual and sapphire is my birthstone so I asked the young man to let me see it again. Then, I did something I try to never do…I asked him if I could borrow his loupe. I may be wrong, but in my mind I feel as if when you loupe a piece of jewelry you may be thinking of buying then that makes you look a little more “expert” than the usual customer and then the store may not be so willing to work with you on the price. That’s just me though….call it how you see it…but I am so GLAD I asked him for his loupe.

So, I look at the diamonds first….whoa…..old mine cuts! Clear as day!!! And sparkly as all get-out! I looked at the tag….$349.95 with a “vintage” notation. I really wanted that ring at that point but then I looked inside the band and I actually almost hyperventilated right there, in the middle of the store. Inside the band was writing in script. On one side of the band it was engraved “1888” and on the other side another date engraved was “1898.” Now, I had watched the young (I have children older than him) man waiting on me have to go to his manager to ask about the best price on a lovely vintage/antique coral ring and a pair of gold hoop earrings the lady before me purchased. I asked him what his best price was….he hesitated. Then I got really bold….I asked him who he was checking best prices with because I was going with him. So, we strolled down to the other end of the counter where some more young men are talking and dealing with folks buying firearms. He told one of the men, the manager who also happened to be his brother, that I wanted to know what their best price for the ring. I started out by telling him what a great customer I am….that I buy ALL my jewelry there (not a lie at all) and that my husband has purchased firearms there and how we always tell people how great they are with prices and customer service. In the meantime, he was weighing the ring and looking at it. Then I used my super-secret weapon question that I only use in dire bargaining emergencies. That clinched it. It made all the guys standing there laugh....so I knew it had him right where I wanted him. I would have paid full price for it, but he quoted me a price of $290.00 (out the door, taxes included) and I hollered “DEAL!” I know they got a kick out of this gray haired middle aged lady being so intense but y’all can imagine how much I wanted that ring!!

I have looked the ring over and studied the diamonds. Even the little diamonds on the sides are sparkly. I just love it. For now, it’s my new favorite. It fits my middle finger and that’s not usually where I wear my rings but for now, I am. I really don’t want to size it and risk messing up the dates inscribed. What do you think they mean? Any ideas? I’d love to hear your theories.

So, here are the pictures in different lights. I didn’t know old mine cuts could sparkle like that….but they do. Thank you for taking the time to ready my story and really, you should have been there to see me work on my art of the deal!

Loretta
IMG_3107.jpg IMG_3113.jpg IMG_3117.jpg IMG_3124.jpg IMG_3130.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an absolutely beautiful piece! It's fascinating about the dates!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an absolutely beautiful piece! It's fascinating about the dates!

Thank you so much! I like to think it was waiting for me to come along again!

Loretta

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it and love the story behind it too. What a sweet deal for a sweet ring. It has a very old world charm romantic feeling about it.:love: Congrats!

It was waiting for you to return and claim it for your own!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it and love the story behind it too. What a sweet deal for a sweet ring. It has a very old world charm romantic feeling about it.:love: Congrats!

It was waiting for you to return and claim it for your own!

Thank you! Maybe I shouldn't feel like some things are meant to be....but I do. Many years ago while in an antique store here in Mississippi, I found an old love letter from around 1906, written on railroad station letterhead from a husband to his wife. I never could figure out the name of the wife it was addressed to until one day I looked at it and there it was....the name.....I could read it. I then began researching the family....remember, this was an envelope with just a name and a city and state...no street address. I managed to find mentions of the couple online and then began looking at obituaries and was able to find a descendent, a niece down the family tree, still living in the same area. It turned out the couple never had children but travelled extensively during his career. Her father was a prominent Methodist who founded a college in Iowa and when the couple eloped and her father found out a year later, he made his daughter have a proper wedding. A wonderful story and I had the letter and envelope framed when I first found it and was more than happy to send it back to the relative and she was so very appreciative. Sometimes, things don't "settle" until they find their place.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Maybe I shouldn't feel like some things are meant to be....but I do. Many years ago while in an antique store here in Mississippi, I found an old love letter from around 1906, written on railroad station letterhead from a husband to his wife. I never could figure out the name of the wife it was addressed to until one day I looked at it and there it was....the name.....I could read it. I then began researching the family....remember, this was an envelope with just a name and a city and state...no street address. I managed to find mentions of the couple online and then began looking at obituaries and was able to find a descendent, a niece down the family tree, still living in the same area. It turned out the couple never had children but travelled extensively during his career. Her father was a prominent Methodist who founded a college in Iowa and when the couple eloped and her father found out a year later, he made his daughter have a proper wedding. A wonderful story and I had the letter and envelope framed when I first found it and was more than happy to send it back to the relative and she was so very appreciative. Sometimes, things don't "settle" until they find their place.

Aww what a wonderful story and how kind of you to make that effort. Lovely of you.

I agree that some things are meant to be. I completely believe my dh and I were meant to find each other. The odds were super slim and yet we did. And I feel that way about a few things. Not everything and I don't believe everything happens for a reason. No that I do not believe. Sometimes bad things happen with no reason. And sometimes good things happen for no reason too. But I do believe some things are meant to be.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Aww what a wonderful story and how kind of you to make that effort. Lovely of you.

I agree that some things are meant to be. I completely believe my dh and I were meant to find each other. The odds were super slim and yet we did. And I feel that way about a few things. Not everything and I don't believe everything happens for a reason. No that I do not believe. Sometimes bad things happen with no reason. And sometimes good things happen for no reason too. But I do believe some things are meant to be.

I know exactly what you mean. My husband and I went on one date and didn't see each other again for almost two years. Then, when we saw each other again, we clicked and will celebrate 36 years of being married next month. He truly is my best friend. I think the special things that are meant to be, we know them when they happen.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know exactly what you mean. My husband and I went on one date and didn't see each other again for almost two years. Then, when we saw each other again, we clicked and will celebrate 36 years of being married next month. He truly is my best friend. I think the special things that are meant to be, we know them when they happen.

Happy 36th Wedding Anniversary Loretta! :love:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this ring, I love the story and what a bargain buy.
I Love love love bargain buys.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh Loretta
that ring is sooooooo blue
and sooooooo white and sparkly
sooooooo sparkly
enjoy

opps forgot to wish you happy anniversary
well done you two !

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
oh Loretta
that ring is sooooooo blue
and sooooooo white and sparkly
sooooooo sparkly
enjoy

opps forgot to wish you happy anniversary
well done you two !

Thank you!! We've had more good times than bad ones for sure....but in the bad times we stuck together and made it work and that made the good times better!!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this ring, I love the story and what a bargain buy.
I Love love love bargain buys.

Bron, we know you are a bargain diva..... you have made it an art form and you really should take that for the compliment it's meant to be!! Does it ever happen to you when you're not really looking? Because I was not looking at all! I had bent that Jack Gutschneider opal mosaic and diamond ring on a file cabinet at work....I was so upset. So, it'll be fixed up like new and I have a pretty little old ring as a consolation prize for my hurt feelings!! Win/win situation! LOL!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you!! We've had more good times than bad ones for sure....but in the bad times we stuck together and made it work and that made the good times better!!
very wise words
i am not married but we have lasted about 4 times as long as his marrage to his grown up children's mother
i think being friends beforehand helps and also just digging in and enduring the hard times because the good times are just around the bend
i think some people give up to early at the first bump in the road
mind you we also were not the result of a teenage pregnancy like that first marrage

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But Loretta, can you share your "super secret" question?
We pawn-shoppers need to network and score those deals!

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bron, we know you are a bargain diva..... you have made it an art form and you really should take that for the compliment it's meant to be!! Does it ever happen to you when you're not really looking? Because I was not looking at all! I had bent that Jack Gutschneider opal mosaic and diamond ring on a file cabinet at work....I was so upset. So, it'll be fixed up like new and I have a pretty little old ring as a consolation prize for my hurt feelings!! Win/win situation! LOL!!
Ha ha, I am NEVER not looking ha ha. I even dream bargain buys!
Seriously I have a surprise buy in the pipeline to post up once received.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ha ha, I am NEVER not looking ha ha. I even dream bargain buys!
Seriously I have a surprise buy in the pipeline to post up once received.

Oh goody!!!!! I am excited....you always have the best finds!!!!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But Loretta, can you share your "super secret" question?
We pawn-shoppers need to network and score those deals!

OK...for you I will....I find this question helps break the ice a lot of the time, especially when you are dealing with someone who isn't familiar with you as a customer.

"What is your FRIENDLIEST price????"

Say it with a big smile (I add my dimples to mine) and a lot of confidence and you'll go places. I did that the other day and everyone laughed and it was like, "No pressure...just do me a solid."

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
very wise words
i am not married but we have lasted about 4 times as long as his marrage to his grown up children's mother
i think being friends beforehand helps and also just digging in and enduring the hard times because the good times are just around the bend
i think some people give up to early at the first bump in the road
mind you we also were not the result of a teenage pregnancy like that first marrage

You are so right. It's not always good but the thought of not staying together is not an option. When the argument is over....it's over. Don't keep seething, sulking or pouting about it. I think that's the main thing that has helped us....oh, one more thing, we don't take our problems outside of our house...what goes on under our roof, stays under our roof. We talk about any issues and get it worked out between us.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...for you I will....I find this question helps break the ice a lot of the time, especially when you are dealing with someone who isn't familiar with you as a customer.

"What is your FRIENDLIEST price????"

Say it with a big smile (I add my dimples to mine) and a lot of confidence and you'll go places. I did that the other day and everyone laughed and it was like, "No pressure...just do me a solid."
Hey, I like that! I will definitely try it next time.
It can be intimidating to bargain with one of those hard-boiled grumpy pawn shop guys.:lol:

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey, I like that! I will definitely try it next time.
It can be intimidating to bargain with one of those hard-boiled grumpy pawn shop guys.:lol:

YES!!! You KNOW what I am talking about! There is an annual Cruising the Coast event in Gulfport every October and it was gearing up. For once, the place was not too busy and there I was, dealing with the gun section guys, and I am pretty sure they thought I had lost my mind. Actually I had...over that ring.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES!!! You KNOW what I am talking about! There is an annual Cruising the Coast event in Gulfport every October and it was gearing up. For once, the place was not too busy and there I was, dealing with the gun section guys, and I am pretty sure they thought I had lost my mind. Actually I had...over that ring.
Guys get all worked up over guns.......I just don't get it.
Which way to the jewelry case???:lol:

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Guys get all worked up over guns.......I just don't get it.
Which way to the jewelry case???:lol:

When my husband and I go in together we part ways at the door! LOL!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my husband and I go in together we part ways at the door! LOL!!
When my DH drags me into Office Depot or Staples I always say
"Where's the jewelry department? What's the point of a store with no jewelry? It's so boring here."

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are so right. It's not always good but the thought of not staying together is not an option. When the argument is over....it's over. Don't keep seething, sulking or pouting about it. I think that's the main thing that has helped us....oh, one more thing, we don't take our problems outside of our house...what goes on under our roof, stays under our roof. We talk about any issues and get it worked out between us.
i totally agree

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a beautiful ring and I’m so glad it’s yours!!! I like index and middle finger rings so I wouldn’t size it and risk losing the engraving.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s a beautiful ring and I’m so glad it’s yours!!! I like index and middle finger rings so I wouldn’t size it and risk losing the engraving.

Thank you! I haven't worn a ring on my middle finger in a long time but I'm getting used to it. I just never would have thought it would have languished as long in that pawn shop as long as it did.....it really was waiting for me.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful piece of history at a great price = one of life's special moments and I'm so glad you shared it here! :love: I will have to try your super-secret question if I ever find myself in a similar situation!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful piece of history at a great price = one of life's special moments and I'm so glad you shared it here! :love: I will have to try your super-secret question if I ever find myself in a similar situation!

I think it works because we can always say, "Can you go any lower?" or "What's your best price?' But "What's your FRIENDLIEST price" is something they don't hear every day. They called this morning about the ring I bent on a filing cabinet the other day. They said it was ready and were charging me as if it were a cleaning....$10 plus tax. That happens when you're a good customer!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results