shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I being set up for a scam?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I had a buyer on DB send me a message, and I'm wondering if she's working on a scam or am I paranoid?
A. She wanted to know if I would get the ring sized locally at her expense, because she just moved and doesn't know any jewelers.
B. She wants me to text a response to her phone # because her email has been spammed. ( wha?)

For $100 item, I'm thinking I should just ignore her?
Any veteran sellers out there? I'm pretty trusting and a bit naive in the ways of scammers, but this seems odd to me.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I am not any kind of veteran seller but.. I would not do it. Just seems wierd to me. Better to be over paranoid to me...

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I had a buyer on DB send me a message, and I'm wondering if she's working on a scam or am I paranoid?
A. She wanted to know if I would get the ring sized locally at her expense, because she just moved and doesn't know any jewelers.
B. She wants me to text a response to her phone # because her email has been spammed. ( wha?)

Any veteran sellers out there? I'm pretty trusting and a bit naive in the ways of scammers, but this seems odd to me.
I would never do anything where they ask you to spend money. It is almost always a scam and not worth it for a $100 item.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sounds fishy to me..Better safe than sorry..

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a $100 item, it would not be worth it for me to deal with the anxiety and stress of this transaction. I would tell her no thank you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yup, just say no. No way would I spend a dime for someone who wanted to buy from me *unless* they sent me the whole price + the extra cost (e.g. extra $50-75, whatever to resize). Otherwise I'm certainly not resizing at my own expense. Also, WTF about texting?! She can make a new email address in literally 30 seconds.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Just ignore it. Even if it wasn’t a scam, it’s not worth your time to have to worry over a $100 item.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A would be enough for me to say no.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@lovedogs right?! The sizing request was odd, but then "text me at the number above" really got my spidey senses tingling. I'm just curious, if it's a scam, what angle is she working? My DH says don't even respond. But, curse of the "nice" girl, maybe I should respond through DB messaging? Hmm, but then I think they see your email address?
Ugh.
Why can't people just be good, honest, and straightforward.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs right?! The sizing request was odd, but then "text me at the number above" really got my spidey senses tingling. I'm just curious, if it's a scam, what angle is she working? My DH says don't even respond. But, curse of the "nice" girl, maybe I should respond through DB messaging? Hmm, but then I think they see your email address?
Ugh.
I always weirdly weite back, even if just to say no. I don't know why. I probably shouldn't

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She just sounds like a pain.
Just message back and say “sorry, ring sold as is” AND if she’s still keen to buy only accept PayPal family and friends for payment so she can’t scam you. If she doesn’t like that arrangement, her problem not yours!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I ask myself this every single day practically. I don't know.:(sad
It's a slippery slope out there and you are wise to pass on this. Listen to your gut. It's almost always right.

And this slogan is on point about (many) humans. Pretty much sums things up.

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 8.43.09 AM.png

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DON'T give your phone number. By the time she has your name, your phone number and the last 4 digits of your CC (almost certainly on the copy of the receipt you text her) she has way too much information. If she truly wants to size a ring, she can ship it off to almost anyone.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:naughty: I would not respond to her anymore.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results