shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on size ration for a trilogy ring

Wkmg

Rough_Rock
Hi, I’m researching engagement rings. The plan at present is a trilogy ring. I’m aiming for a centre diamond carat weight of 1.25-1.5. What would be a good size to pair with that? I was thing 2 x .6 carat diamonds for 1.25 and maybe slightly bigger if I go with 1.5. What do people think? I don’t want the side stones to look too small but also don’t want the ring to look clunky. It would be in a traditional 3 stone yellow gold setting. Can’t find to many examples on line of trilogy rings with centre stones in that size range so is hard to get an idea.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock

Check out this thread for ideas. I’ve been looking at this a lot while I await my own three stone ring.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock

Here’s another three stone ring thread.

Wkmg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help. This is the perfect place to come for advice.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're getting center stone and sidestones and setting all at the same place, ask for them to send you pictures of your center stone with a couple different sizes of sidestone, if they can (or if you can see that in person if you're buying in person). Many will be able to do that for you and that may give you a little more confidence about what proportions you like best. Fortunately with three-stones, there's no wrong answer! They all look great, they're just different flavors. My favorite look is for the sides for a center that size to be 0.2-0.25, but obviously opinions vary!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like smaller side stones for an engagement ring to allow the center to shine. I would do 0.25ct each for the sides personally.

If you want the classic "TIffany" look, then .75 each would be the way to go.

PS: WHat does the intended wearer want? Have you talked about it?

Wkmg

Rough_Rock
I like smaller side stones for an engagement ring to allow the center to shine. I would do 0.25ct each for the sides personally.

If you want the classic "TIffany" look, then .75 each would be the way to go.

PS: WHat does the intended wearer want? Have you talked about it?

I’ve got a fairly good idea based on chats we had years ago. I know 3 round cut stones, I know yellow gold and I know her friends all have bigish diamonds. Whatever she ends up getting will be a surprise. I wouldn’t want her to know it’s coming and I know she’ll be happy whatever I get.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that my opinion matters (what matters is what she likes)...but I love smaller like in the link @rockysalamander posted. They give more interest but
allow the middle stone to be the star!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve got a fairly good idea based on chats we had years ago. I know 3 round cut stones, I know yellow gold and I know her friends all have bigish diamonds. Whatever she ends up getting will be a surprise. I wouldn’t want her to know it’s coming and I know she’ll be happy whatever I get.

I mean, you know your situation best, but I just want to let you know that we see a lot of women show up here because their fiances thought what you wrote in bold and in fact were totally wrong.

In addition, research suggests that proposals and marriages are most likely to be successful when the couple has talked about the proposal and marriage in advance... so just think about that a little as you contemplate your proposal.

You don't need to defend your choices to me, but I do want you to think about what *she* wants and prioritize meeting her desires over your own or at least equally to your own (e.g., Does she want a surprise proposal? Does she want a say in the ring?)

Wkmg

Rough_Rock
I mean, you know your situation best, but I just want to let you know that we see a lot of women show up here because their fiances thought what you wrote in bold and in fact were totally wrong.

In addition, research suggests that proposals and marriages are most likely to be successful when the couple has talked about the proposal and marriage in advance... so just think about that a little as you contemplate your proposal.

You don't need to defend your choices to me, but I do want you to think about what *she* wants and prioritize meeting her desires over your own or at least equally to your own (e.g., Does she want a surprise proposal? Does she want a say in the ring?)

Honestly, I get your point and do take it on board but I’ve done my due diligence. We did a lot of looking at rings for “fun” a long time ago when engagement was clearly not on the cards so that I would have a good idea if and when it comes. I know she wants a plain yellow gold band 3 diamond round cut ring. Apart from precise stone size and ratio I’ve got a very good idea. I don’t have any desires when it comes to the ring. If she’d intimated that she wanted a solitaire she’d get a solitaire, if she wanted a bracelet she’d get a bracelet. She’s also said (in the past) that she likes the man to get a ring as opposed to picking it herself. She’s very traditional.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some posters are favoring very small side stones. To ME (and only me) - while those might make the center stone “pop,” those aren’t traditional 3 stone rings. My 3-stone is roughly 1ct-2ct-1ct. Happy to show you a pic, but the guides above are probably all you need. Good luck!!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some posters are favoring very small side stones. To ME (and only me) - while those might make the center stone “pop,” those aren’t traditional 3 stone rings. My 3-stone is roughly 1ct-2ct-1ct. Happy to show you a pic, but the guides above are probably all you need. Good luck!!

From a historical perspective, I'm not sure there is a specific proportion that is correct. Everything from 3 (or 5) all the same size to very small side stones can be found throughout the modern history of rings. If there is a historical note, it is that colored stones were more common as center or side-stones both by region and time period.

I have a five stone that is 0.25 ct - 0.5 ct - 2.14 ct- 0.5 ct - 0.25 ct. My mom's favorite 3 stone is 0.25 ct - 3.6 ct - 0.25 ct. So, my "preference" is likely influence with what I saw as my mom's favorite. IMHO...I think that it all ends up being about the setting (not all 3-stones are the same in terms of look) and the aesthetic of the wearer. For example, I prefer that the stones are stair-stepped and not on a constant curve -- but that is preference.

Nothing right or wrong here.

Translating for the poster...

Stair-stepped - side stones are lower than center and tucked slightly under the girdle of the center

1576675567811.png

Constant Curve you can draw a constant curve over the table of the stones

1576675515885.png

Attachments

• 1576675477736.png
    1576675477736.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 44

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal preference for a 1ct centre would be around .50 each, as I like the ratio of the total carat weight of the sides combined, being roughly equal to the centre. I do like the look of smaller sides (.25ct each or so) but to me that is more of a solitaire with side stones, rather than a classic trilogy/3 stone. I don't think you can go wrong!

OX1985

Rough_Rock
For a 1ct main, would be best to explore a 0.4-0.5 on each side if you don't want it to overpower your main.
I would also suggest having a 0.7 on each side if you don't want the size difference to be too obvious.

But I think this design is particularly suited for pear shaped side stones though.
Something like this image below.

123.JPG

headlight

Ideal_Rock
For a ring with 3 rounds, I like the ratio of the sides to be approx half the sides of the center. I had a beautiful 3-stone awhile back that was 1.51 center with a .74 and a .76 on the sides. I thought it was A perfect ratio. The center still was the star yet the sides didn’t look like accent stones, or was definitely a 3 stone ring. My SIL has a 3-stone with all emerald cuts, same proportions, and it’s fabulous. With the rounds, just make sure the colors match and that their face up appearance match (similar table size) or else if you don’t make sure of those 2 elements one of the stones will stick out like a sore thumb and ruin the fluidity and be distracting.

VeredynC

Rough_Rock
My personal preference for a 1ct centre would be around .50 each, as I like the ratio of the total carat weight of the sides combined, being roughly equal to the centre. I do like the look of smaller sides (.25ct each or so) but to me that is more of a solitaire with side stones, rather than a classic trilogy/3 stone. I don't think you can go wrong!

Both sounds like a great idea! I'm just afraid with the 0.5ct on the sides would overwhelm the entire ring. I work in a child care center so I don't want to have something that's too loud for me to wear it to work everyday. I know it's contradicting considering trilogy rings are pretty snazzy but I just love the look! :love:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's all personal preference! My three stone serves as my engagement ring, center is 1.70 cushion and the sides are 0.25 each frenchies. They are more of an "accent" for the center.

itskcc

Rough_Rock
I agonized over this very same equation. I went to Tiffanys to try some on because they were the only place with a wide range of stone sizes to try on. Their formula is that the total carat weight of the side stones equals the carat weight of the center stone. I never thought I would say this, ever, but that formula was a little too much for my center stone of 2.3cts. It was too bulky for me. I ended up with 80 pointers on each side and I love how it came out. I think you just have to play around with some options. Tough to do right now with all the stores closed. For a while, I toyed with the idea of sapphire side stones and tried to figure out sizing. I ended up ordering super cheap fake sapphire stud earrings from Amazon in 5, 6, and 7mm sizes just so I could play around with the proportions.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, I’m researching engagement rings. The plan at present is a trilogy ring. I’m aiming for a centre diamond carat weight of 1.25-1.5. What would be a good size to pair with that? I was thing 2 x .6 carat diamonds for 1.25 and maybe slightly bigger if I go with 1.5. What do people think? I don’t want the side stones to look too small but also don’t want the ring to look clunky. It would be in a traditional 3 stone yellow gold setting. Can’t find to many examples on line of trilogy rings with centre stones in that size range so is hard to get an idea.

The minimum that has worked for me for 44 years is the total of the sides should equal the center

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is a 2 ct center with 0.5 ct each side. I feel like it‘s balanced that way with plenty of finger coverage (but not too wide) and with the sides not overpowering the center but still adding to a „classic“ 3 stone ring. But that is very individual.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
The minimum that has worked for me for 44 years is the total of the sides should equal the center

Very interesting.
Many Psers are against 1:2:1 proportions, it's nice to hear someone in the trade with a different opinion.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very interesting.
Many Psers are against 1:2:1 proportions, it's nice to hear someone in the trade with a different opinion.
I favour 1:2:1 up to about 1.3:2:1.3
This is based on what sells and not what an individual prefers.
For example a 2 ct center with 0.5 ct each side is a solitaire with shoulder diamonds that would best be set slightly lower and possibly with more tilt - axis radiating to the center of the ring.
The side stones should be set a little lower.
A classic 3 stone has the girdles almost touching and the axis of the diamonds usually points to the bottom of the band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results