shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Oval Diamond

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

even though I love reading through pricescope I'm still far from being an expert.

Would this 1.81 K VS1 be a bad option? I'm aware of K showing a yellow tint.
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...t-k-vs1-laboratory-grown-diamond-lg_337816753

Or does this stone hold more value?
1.57 E SI2
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ct-e-si2-laboratory-grown-diamond-lg_10872411

This would be my favourite but is it worth it?
2.01 G SI2
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ct-g-si2-laboratory-grown-diamond-lg_10884908

Will lab grown diamonds really go down in price in the next year? I would wait if the prices are supposed to drop significantly.

Thank you for your opinions!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Have you reached out to Jonathan about them? He will give you his honest assessment of them- or help you pick something.

There’s such a difference in the color grades you are considering. Do you want a warmer stone? The k is going to be a lot warmer than g. The e Si2 looks like it may not be eye clean.

I don’t see a big bow tie on either, but I’d ask @Rhino if you wanted advice on stones and on the pricing issue for future.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply. I was interested in a independent opinion. I do trust Jonathan totally. But I was just interested in opinions from people who won't sell the diamond to me.

Yes the K is a pretty low color but does the stone seem fine otherwise? I'm not sure if a K colored stone (that isn't cut in an antique way) is even worth any money? Would you buy an oval K (as colors show in ovals more than in rounds?).

Thank you for your time!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally speaking, I don't like the E because I don't think it would be anywhere near eye-clean.

You might not mind inclusions, though - I am just a clarity freak ;-)

Do you have a particular budget in mind? The other two options are vastly different in terms of price.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I have the same thoughts about the E - probably all I would do is scrutinize the diamond.

After some thoughts I have ruled out the K.

Does anything obvious to you stand out bad for the G diamond? Is there some important point I'm missing and not aware of?

Thank you!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that the G is very clean under the table - it satisfies my clarity OCD ;-) lol

You can slightly see the inclusions reflected in the facets at the bottom of the stone (as positioned on the screen) when at certain angles - such as when the stone is facing sort of south-east / 45 degrees to the right - but they appear to be quite white and therefore should hopefully mean it is eye-clean :)

I think my main concern would be regarding the position of the inclusions - the clarity plot on the grading report does not specify if they are clouds or feathers or something else, so if they are feathers that reach the girdle, there is the potential (although unlikely) that they could present a risk to structural integrity.

Ideally you could ask for the stone to be sent to a PS-approved appraiser for review and comment on the inclusions (at your cost, of course!), but I would also drop Rhino a line and ask him if he would be able to comment, as he has a lot of experience working with diamonds and I don't think he would willingly or knowingly sell a stone that had any risk of increased potential for damage. :)

Have you decided how it will be set? A bezel setting would provide a protective structure that would minimise any risk of damage (as is true for any stone) so that could be an option to consider if you would like extra peace of mind :)

I'm not trying to scare you off, of course, I'm just wanting to make sure that you investigate all the potential issues to your satisfaction!

re: future pricing - if I had a crystal ball I would be a rich man ;-) lol. Lightbox pricing structures ($800/ct) for stones under 1ct are affecting the market for those sizes, but the larger stones' market is perhaps still in a higher state of flux because Lightbox has no presence there (yet?), and it is unclear how the future effects of production capacity / quality available / cutting standards / market demand / market positioning / pricing structures / social acceptance will pan out!

I think the safest position to take is to assume that any MMD is potentially worth maybe 10% if sold secondhand in the future, and to write off any and all monies spent on that basis. If a diamond needs to be a 'store of value' for the future, Mined stones are a safer bet - although, even then, any resale value would depend a lot on diamond quality/speed of sale needed/market demand... so as is seen now, a Mined diamond could sell for anywhere between 10% and 80% of its value, but there are no guarantees unless one is buying a 'superideal' diamond from one of the PS-recommended vendors with a written buy-back guarantee :)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a color freak and lab diamonds are not on my radar. I enjoy watching Jonathan's videos and learn from them. I always say that diamonds are like cars-get what you want and enjoy them now as their worth in the future is not certain and can not be predicted.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think the k will have a good amount of tint. At least it seems so. What about an I or j? That might be budget middle ground. I don't see large bowties on either.

On value, I'm with the others. Selling a mined diamond is hard. I think buy because you like it and it fits the budget you have. Selling any jewelry item is a large hit usually.

I bought a lab grown emerald from Jonathan. He is working on setting data now. I know it will be hard to sell in the future. But it is also half the cost of a mined stone. I wanted to try one out but was not interested in moissanite.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the k will have a good amount of tint. At least it seems so. What about an I or j? That might be budget middle ground. I don't see large bowties on either.

On value, I'm with the others. Selling a mined diamond is hard. I think buy because you like it and it fits the budget you have. Selling any jewelry item is a large hit usually.

I bought a lab grown emerald from Jonathan. He is working on setting data now. I know it will be hard to sell in the future. But it is also half the cost of a mined stone. I wanted to try one out but was not interested in moissanite.
Have you seen it in your hands yet?

I can't wait to hear your thoughts! :)

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everbody for your insights and thoughts. I hadn't even thought about feathers and the possibility of a diamond breaking! Which is important because I want to set it in a delicate four prong with a pave band.
Yes actually I don't plan on selling it so I shouldn't make that a factor in my purchasing decision :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@OoohShiny I have not seen it yet! Jonathan's bench has it to determine the size of the black spinel to be cut. It's going to be in a black art deco style halo but instead of onyx, black spinel. I'm hoping it is great in person.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny I have not seen it yet! Jonathan's bench has it to determine the size of the black spinel to be cut. It's going to be in a black art deco style halo but instead of onyx, black spinel. I'm hoping it is great in person.
Ooooh, this sounds like it's going to be a really classic piece :))

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for coming back but I'm still a little unsure if I want to pull the trigger on this
G SI2 diamond

2.01 G SI2
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ct-g-si2-laboratory-grown-diamond-lg_10884908

The inclusions are mostly near the gridle (which isn't good). But I'm suspecting that there are some clouds and hazziness in the top and end which also could be a reason for the SI2 rating?
Do you see the cloudyness as well? It just doesn't seem like it will sparkle in the top and end part.

Thank you for your opinion!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The visible inclusions are very likely the reason for the SI2 grading.

Have you spoken to Rhino yet? If he has the stones in-hand (ask him!) he could analyse whether there are any negative impacts of the inclusions.

You could also ask him re: any potential issues with setting it in an open (no bezel) setting.

Another option could be to send the stone to Denverappraiser or Oldminer, to employ their services (at your cost) to assess the stone independently.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I havent spoken to him as I wouldn't be buying the diamond from him as I found the same diamonds for a better price - so I didn't want to waste his time.

But I did contact the vendor now and I'm so excited for them to send me some pictures :) if I ever end up getting my diamond ring I can't wait sharing it!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I havent spoken to him as I wouldn't be buying the diamond from him as I found the same diamonds for a better price - so I didn't want to waste his time.

But I did contact the vendor now and I'm so excited for them to send me some pictures :) if I ever end up getting my diamond ring I can't wait sharing it!
Ah yes, the age old quandary - do you buy from the cheapest place or pay a little more for improved service?! It is at least good to have both options available.

Make sure you have the vendor's Returns policies in writing / screengrabbed, and that a Return would give you 100percent refund (maybe less cost of shipping) rather than 'store credit'...

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
I appreciate that the OP does not want to waste Rhino's time.
Just wanted to chime in that AV prices for lab diamonds can be less expensive in some cases. I've been mildly obsessed with finding a well-cut heart and finally found a candidate in my desired size/price range when I opened up the search to lab diamonds. I think Rhino's concierge service is well worth it, especially if you reside outside of the USA. =)2 I love the combination of his enthusiasm and knowledge.
Edited to add: *less expensive than the same stone on other sites.

Last edited:

thebrady28

Rough_Rock

Care to share details of the new option?

Is the cut quality similar to AVO?

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi no the vendor also didn't have them on hand so he couldn't give me any pics or videos. I would have to buy the stone and send it to an appraiser. Which I will do but at the moment I haven't found the perfect stone yet :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results