shape
carat
color
clarity

ACA diamonds - splitting hairs!!

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
hi all!! I’m a newbie on here but have been lurking at the many helpful posts.

I’m looking to buy a diamond and cannot decide between the two below. Wondering if some of you could kindly give some advice as to which one u think is better?

Both are WF ACA VS2. One is a H and one is I colour (would like to see if you are able to tell which one is which since I wasn’t). I’m not that colour sensitive and when looking at diamonds in store I can’t tell the difference between a H and I or a G against a H.

The arrows on the right diamond seem darker and wider. Does this mean there is more contrast but likely to appear darker?

Also the proportions are largely the same(?) but I see the star as having the biggest difference. What does this mean in terms of performance of the diamond?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!!

LEFT:
Depth 61.7%
Table: 56.7%
Crown angle: 34.6
Star: 53.0
Pavilion angle: 40.6
Crown: 14.9%
Lower girdle: 77.0%

RIGHT DIAMOND
Depth 61.4%
Table: 56.2%
Crown angle: 34.7
Star: 48.0
Crown: 15.2%
Lower girdle: 76.0%

459D09DE-0B6E-4A6E-9CCE-4C91D13EF233.jpeg 9F1D0950-2FC6-417D-960C-4B5416F1A224.jpeg 6F6398B3-0681-48A5-9973-A23C7F594773.jpeg

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock

I’m looking to buy a diamond and cannot decide between the two below. Wondering if some of you could kindly give some advice as to which one u think is better?

Both are WF ACA VS2. One is a H and one is I colour (would like to see if you are able to tell which one is which since I wasn’t). I’m not that colour sensitive and when looking at diamonds in store I can’t tell the difference between a H and I or a G against a H.

The arrows on the right diamond seem darker and wider. Does this mean there is more contrast but likely to appear darker?

Also the proportions are largely the same(?) but I see the star as having the biggest difference. What does this mean in terms of performance of the diamond?

LEFT:
Depth 61.7%

RIGHT DIAMOND
Depth 61.4%

459D09DE-0B6E-4A6E-9CCE-4C91D13EF233.jpeg 9F1D0950-2FC6-417D-960C-4B5416F1A224.jpeg 6F6398B3-0681-48A5-9973-A23C7F594773.jpeg

Congratulations on picking 2 great stones you can't go wrong with either one.

If I had to pick I would pick the one on the right with a smaller table and fatter arrows...to me it looks more fiery and I'm guessing that one is the I color?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can only give my opinion on this, but...

Those stones are almost identical in stats. To that end, I'd buy the whiter one. A really well cut diamond will blind you to tint...till you've had a chance to wear it for a while and look at it side on. Multiple times I've heard buyers say "...and I never noticed the tint at ALL...till one day, I was sitting in the car and I suddenly saw it - and now I can't UN-see it!"

Sometimes it takes a while to develop the eyes to see tint. But once you have - you're stuck. So keeping that in mind, I'd go with the H.

And at 76 and 77% on the lower girdle, the difference will be negligible to almost any eye. If it was a difference between 75 and 79% - sure! But 76 and 77? No point in worrying about such a small difference.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All things essentially being equal, I prefer the one on the left because it just looks brighter to me.

I love the detailed pics WF provides, but wish I knew what that greenish-yellow color is that sometimes gets picked up - presumably in the environment/surroundings - in some of them.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm .... as for the star difference .... the only thing I could suggest is to watch the videos ... maybe one of them “speaks” to you more than the other ... although I’m not really sure the videos are the best indication how the diamond will perform in real life ... they are both ACAs and both will be beautiful ... maybe just a bit of character difference for you to choose between ...

As for the color ... I’m guessing the I is the one on the right ... as in, I think I can see a rather obvious difference, so if I’m wrong I need to get some new eyes ... I would listen to @mrs-b if I were you ... some people can’t unsee the tint in an H either ... but then others love to go with a J (not me, I stay in DEF) .... we all know it’s always tough trying to balance all the c’s to the one that your eye and wallet will like the best ;)2

At least when it comes to cut, you should be safe with the ACA ... just remember to check the certificate and the ASET image.

Happy diamond shopping!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too think the I colored diamond is on the right. I almost like it a bit better but agree with others on the color thing. What looks good today might not be ok tomorrow but then that's what upgrades are for!

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
I also think the I is on the right, at least in the top photo. BUT, keep in mind, should you like it better, it won't be sitting next to that H once you buy it. Both the H and I have a tiny bit of tint, but the difference, when not sitting side-by-side, well, there might as well be no difference.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one on the right looks like it its showing more color to me (ever so slightly though).

Also looks like the one on the right may be ever so slightly bigger???

They both seem so close that the casual observer couldnt tell the difference.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask for a video and see which one "speaks" to you. Honestly they are so similar that you could pick either one. And you can't go wrong. So I feel like a video might help you decide, since they are so similar on paper and in pics.

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your responses and taking the time out to give me your views/opinions. I really appreciate it. The diamond on the right is in fact the I and the one on the left a H. It’s amazing how you can all spot that... I still don’t see it. I guess it’s a blessing that I don’t? :mrgreen2:

@jp201845 yes, I think I too like the fatter arrows and smaller table. I’ve seen fiery diamonds IRL and I find them mesmerising:drool:

@mrs-b I think you raise a good point and that’s what I’m worried about - that one day my eyes have learnt to distinguish between the colour gradings and there will be no turning back (other than an update)

@the_mother_thing - yes. I too wonder where the colours are coming from. I often see various colours being reflected. I’m guessing it’s a reflection of colours in the room.....?

@kmoro thank you. I think you’re right. A lot of the times it does just come down to which diamond speaks to you. For some reason the I colour diamond on the right does... but I guess I’m just worried about colour. And even though I’m not (currently) colour sensitive, I don’t really want the whole world to see me with a “yellow”/“tinted” diamond and one day I wake up to see what they have seen all along.

@MissGotRocks haha... A huge benefit of purchasing through WF is the option of the upgrade :)

@Venzen007 You’re right. I need to remember that the diamonds aren’t going to be sat next to each other... so without that comparison it will be harder to tell the colour. In addition to the diamond not being magnified on my finger at all times.

@tyty333 wow yes! The one on the right is 0.01 x 0.03mm bigger. I didn’t even think it would be possible to tell.

@lovedogs I do think the right one speaks to me more based on pics and video... maybe I have my answer already but just worried about the colour.

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
DAF6EEBA-7AA5-48F7-9256-064D88DF843E.jpeg DE9EEB16-6C94-4A26-8053-4927F0DEC446.jpeg AF8F268A-FFB9-4A3E-81DC-56C13A259023.jpeg 058A25BC-ED06-4990-A136-C272855C7BC3.jpeg Here are the ideal scope and ASET images - I think both pretty much look the same but the diamond on the right has fatter arrows. Wht do u guys think?

Left diamond (H colour) first two images. Right diamond (I colour) last 2 images.

Attachments

• 4A5FB541-93CC-4E5F-8401-16123054CC8A.jpeg
    4A5FB541-93CC-4E5F-8401-16123054CC8A.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 55FB4729-085F-48E7-BF6E-390B14D20193.jpeg
    55FB4729-085F-48E7-BF6E-390B14D20193.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 13

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure the H diamond is eye-clean to your satisfaction?

WF's definition is: "No inclusions visible to the naked eye of a person with 20/20 vision when viewing the diamond in the face-up position at a distance of approximately 10 inches under normal overhead lighting."

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DAF6EEBA-7AA5-48F7-9256-064D88DF843E.jpeg DE9EEB16-6C94-4A26-8053-4927F0DEC446.jpeg AF8F268A-FFB9-4A3E-81DC-56C13A259023.jpeg 058A25BC-ED06-4990-A136-C272855C7BC3.jpeg Here are the ideal scope and ASET images - I think both pretty much look the same but the diamond on the right has fatter arrows. Wht do u guys think?

Left diamond (H colour) first two images. Right diamond (I colour) last 2 images.
Probably because of the 76 LGF. How that difference would play out in real viewing time is hard to say. It also has a steeper crown angle than the other. Call WF and ask them their opinion. Again not sure if it is an appreciable difference on the hand.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Seems like might be more leakage going on with the fatter arrows diamond.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Neither has leakage IMHO

This may be. I'm still learning what I'm looking at. I was commenting on what I saw to be a slight difference in size of the white areas in each.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This may be. I'm still learning what I'm looking at. I was commenting on what I saw to be a slight difference in size of the white areas in each.
Technically your right but neither has significant leakage and whats there is inherent in the design.
In order to remove it/reduce it you have to paint or dig the girdle facets which has the effect of degrading scintillation and off axis viewing.
The leakage is left there because removing it degrades the diamonds performance more than leaving it there.

Edit: it also provides a small amount of additional contrast for contrast brilliance.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Is it, then, that some degree of leakage is inherent in the various cuts, and the idea is to reduce it as much as possible while making the leakage that remains work toward the overall effect?

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock

WF's definition is: "No inclusions visible to the naked eye of a person with 20/20 vision when viewing the diamond in the face-up position at a distance of approximately 10 inches under normal overhead lighting."

I did worry about this and WF assured me it is completely eye clean. Based on reviews and feedback on PS, I assume if they say it is then I should trust that?

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Probably because of the 76 LGF. How that difference would play out in real viewing time is hard to say. It also has a steeper crown angle than the other. Call WF and ask them their opinion. Again not sure if it is an appreciable difference on the hand.
Sorry, what do you mean probably because of the 76 LGF? What difference would a (materially) lower LGF have?

I had asked WF how the two compare but responses so far have been that both are ACA and both would be amazing.

I don’t know if I’ve been over-reading all the PS forums and just nitpicking now.. but I guess when numbers are different I can’t help but think the numbers are telling me something

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is it, then, that some degree of leakage is inherent in the various cuts, and the idea is to reduce it as much as possible while making the leakage that remains work toward the overall effect?
Sometimes you intentionally leave it in to gain something else.
Everything is a trade off somewhere.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did worry about this and WF assured me it is completely eye clean. Based on reviews and feedback on PS, I assume if they say it is then I should trust that?

Yes, WF is definitely trustworthy, and you can rely that it is completely eye-clean according to their definition (someone with 20/20 vision cannot see an inclusion with their naked eye 10" inches away from the face-up stone under normal overhead lighting). If that matches your own definition of eye-clean, then you are good to go. Still, if you purchase the H stone, I recommend having it sent to you loose so you can confirm it is eye-clean to your preference before setting and while in return period.

Note: I am a WF fan and have bought from them many times, but my own definition of eye-clean is more stringent than theirs. For me, my definition is eye-clean 6" away from top and side views in most lighting environments.

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Yes, WF is definitely trustworthy, and you can rely that it is completely eye-clean according to their definition (someone with 20/20 vision cannot see an inclusion with their naked eye 10" inches away from the face-up stone under normal overhead lighting). If that matches your own definition of eye-clean, then you are good to go. Still, if you purchase the H stone, I recommend having it sent to you loose so you can confirm it is eye-clean to your preference before setting and while in return period.

Note: I am a WF fan and have bought from them many times, but my own definition of eye-clean is more stringent than theirs. For me, my definition is eye-clean 6" away from top and side views in most lighting environments.
I had actually asked WF to view the diamond and inspect it for me. They confirmed it was completely eye clean from any distance/angle.
Thank you for the tip though. I definitely would like a eye clean and mind clean diamond in terms of inclusions.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, what do you mean probably because of the 76 LGF? What difference would a (materially) lower LGF have?

I had asked WF how the two compare but responses so far have been that both are ACA and both would be amazing.

I don’t know if I’ve been over-reading all the PS forums and just nitpicking now.. but I guess when numbers are different I can’t help but think the numbers are telling me something

Ideally you are looking for LGF of 76-78 and that diamond falls in that range. You really can’t pick out one of the numbers to focus on. The lower LGF can create fatter arrows and my response was to that specific question.
WF does extensive light performance testing over and above what AGS provides. That is why they are comfortable in telling you that they are both great performers. You will find lots of number combinations so no don’t get stuck on a specific number. Choose the stone that speaks to you and know that WF has a great return policy so you are not ‘stuck’ with a diamond that you don’t love!

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Ideally you are looking for LGF of 76-78 and that diamond falls in that range. You really can’t pick out one of the numbers to focus on. The lower LGF can create fatter arrows and my response was to that specific question.
WF does extensive light performance testing over and above what AGS provides. That is why they are comfortable in telling you that they are both great performers. You will find lots of number combinations so no don’t get stuck on a specific number. Choose the stone that speaks to you and know that WF has a great return policy so you are not ‘stuck’ with a diamond that you don’t love!
Thank you!! Yes, that’s right. I keep focusing on the numbers individually and thinking maybe it won’t be as “good” as another diamond. One of the limitations of buying online I guess.... I end up focusing on the numbers and try to interpret what it means.

I understand that the fatter arrows may mean more contrast. By comparison, would it mean that the diamond *may* appear darker compared to a diamond of smaller/thinner arrows?

Yang Kin

Rough_Rock
Trade

LEFT:
Depth 61.7%

RIGHT DIAMOND
Depth 61.4%

Personally... I always prefer something with higher star length.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Typically leakage is reserved for white under the table, and around the edge of the diamond (which can reduce overall face up appearance of the diamond). You are referring to hot spots, which area 'controlled leakage'. They are expected and vary between different parameters of the diamond. They can also be increased and reduced by painting/digging. The variations in these hot spots is a different topic to a poorly performing diamond due to leakage.

Generally they are not called leakage and doing so may scare off people from a diamond due to the negative connotations with the word.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@daydreamer24 You've entered the analysis paralysis zone. Watch the videos and go with your gut feelings. You wont be wrong.
Is this stone for you or your GF? If I were you, I* would go with the H.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally... I always prefer something with higher star length.

Thanks for your input. Can you tell the poster what star length range you prefer and why? She is trying to learn and analyze all these numbers. Thanks!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! Yes, that’s right. I keep focusing on the numbers individually and thinking maybe it won’t be as “good” as another diamond. One of the limitations of buying online I guess.... I end up focusing on the numbers and try to interpret what it means.

I understand that the fatter arrows may mean more contrast. By comparison, would it mean that the diamond *may* appear darker compared to a diamond of smaller/thinner arrows?

Good question and I honestly don’t know the definitive answer. Hopefully some of the experts will chime in on this one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results