shape
carat
color
clarity

A confession and a reveal - new DKJ 3 stone

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. I'm Mrs-B and I didn't love my halo.

There. I said it. I LOVED the workmanship. I LOVED the diamond. But I just didn't love it on me, and I didn't love the tint.

I wrestled with the idea of giving back that gorgeous, gorgeous ring for about 48 hours, but I knew as soon as I saw it that it wasn't for me. So I took a deep breath and contacted WF, who worked with me to go from a 4.01ct I VS1 up to a 3.05 F VS2, to procure the perfect side stones (2 x .625ct G VS1), then contacted DKJ and told them I wanted to go a different direction.

Let me say right off the bat - I'm keeping the halo setting! But I'm setting it with one of the most gorgeous green tourmalines I've ever seen, and I think the green, gold, and diamond contrast will give me a ring I far prefer. There was something about the 'circle around a circle' that just seemed a bit blob-like to me. But a colored stone should address the problem.

And in the meantime, I have the world's most gorgeous 3 stone. It's a perfect size for my finger - substantial and elegant. It's not too big, but there's no question that this is a whole lotta ring. I am completely in love. No reservations.

Firstly, some DKJ photos.

DKJPV_1012_TSTT-1.jpg

DKJPV_1012_TSTT-2.jpg

DKJPV_1012_TSTT-3.jpg

DKJPV_1012_TSTT-4.jpg

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
This is so gorgeous!

I've always tried to love the halo look but something about three stone rings draws me in. I have a 3 stone EC and adore it. I can't wait to work on a new project! :)

doobaokwei

Rough_Rock
OMG! What a beautiful ring!? Substantial indeed. I especially love the yellow gold & double prongs. This is a an exquisite addition to your lovely collection, @mrs-b. :kiss2:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Mrs B!!!! That is utterly, breathtakingly gorgeous!!! The beautiful stones, the two-tone setting, the dainty claw prongs! I'm so happy for you! It looks perfect on your hand! And I'm so glad you now have a ring that you LOVE. :kiss2: :clap:

And I'm in the same exact boat with my halo ring...it's gorgeous and the workmanship is exquisite, but over the years it has become a bit blob-like to me, too. Maybe my eyes are getting old and the diamonds are all starting to run together and confusing my aging vision, lol. But what a great idea to salvage the setting by putting a colored stone in there!!! Hmmm, wheels are turning...

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another beautiful masterpiece @mrs-b .The proportions are perfect and your ring looks gorgeous on your hand. I love the little diamond on the outside of band too, does this hold special meaning to you, would love to hear about it if you’re happy to share:kiss2:

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring!! I love the clean ‘prongless’ look of the side stones, very different from what I’ve seen before. Congratulations, what a stunner! :love:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely perfect and super gutsy to know that you needed the redo and went for it. Now you will have two wonderful rings!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations @mrs-b !! A three-stone is a classic and easily a forever setting. DK did a wonderful job. An icy F should satisfy your need for a white stone.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect! And good for you in changing things & not keeping it as it was. It's stunning & those double claws & the way the side diamonds float are heavenly :love:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow and good for you not settling with something that wasn’t right for you. I love the new ring on you. I did wonder if you were going to reset that yuge 4ct into the most amazing toi et moi ring given your other thread :twisted2: :mrgreen2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and stone.:love: And kudos to you for getting exactly what you want @mrs-b. You deserve nothing less and so happy for you. Enjoy in health and blingy happiness and love.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous! The two-tone and three-stone ring is so classic and timeless. Love it! Kudos to you for getting what sings to you and not waiting. :))

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As always, your ring is beautiful, your jewelry is beautiful and the ring looks so cool on your finger.!!! smart move, I love 3 stone rings.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stop it! You've done it again! Tasteful, elegant, stunning PERFECTION. I love love love the setting of the sidestones, that's something I've never seen and I adore it. And I can't wait to see that beautiful halo sporting a delicious green tourm! You really have the most incredible eye for style and detail. LOVE!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @LinSF :)) I think EC 3 stones are just the most elegant ring! Do you have photos somewhere? I'd love to see! Looking at other people's jewelry is one of the great joys of PriceScope!

Thank you, @doobaokwei! I think I'll have a soli again one day, but it won't be as big, tho it WILL be as white. I've learnt an expensive lesson re me and tint!

@KristyDarling - I hear you re the halo dilemma!! I agree - there was something about it all just running together and ending up as one big circle. I like that a 3 ring has more places for the eye to 'land'; I just find them more visually interesting. And I luuuurve that curve around the finger! I had my CADs tweaked a couple of times to get the angle sharp enough, and I think this ring is all the better for it. And I love it when your wheels turn....! Means something good is in the works! :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your newest addition is stunning!!! Very elegant and timeless. This ring looks amazing on your hand.
So glad you are keeping the halo setting and that you will set a green tourmaline in it.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sparkles88 - thank you for your lovely comments. :)) I put the tiny diamond in the back of a ring years and years ago - and loved it. my husband said "this should be your jewelry signature!" and I've been doing something similar ever since. it doesn't work on every ring - eg rings with very narrow shanks - but it works most of the time, and I've always been keen to do it if I can make it fit.

Thank you, @Katya DXB - I love the minimalistic look of the sides. It gives a nicer taper and doesn't distract from the diamonds. Which is as it should be. :))

@peacechick - thank for those encouraging words. I have to say, it was HUGELY hard to get back to WF and DKJ and say "er...I think I made a mistake...a great big one..." I felt like such a twit. But it was @Vera W at WF who made me feel like I wasn't completely psychotic and who encouraged me to have what I love. If it wasn't for her, I think this whole process would have been far more difficult. I really think the folks at both WF and DKJ have seen it all, when it comes to jewelry purchasing!

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom - the 4.01 I and the 3.05 F are both stunning stones. Absolutely faultless in their own ways. But for me, I just had to have that 'super white' look. I have, as you know, a number of rings. But this is my really GOOD ring, and it just had to be perfect. (and I think it is!) Consider the itch scratched!! And yes - I love a classic - which is why I was interested in reading your comments about occasionally missing wearing a plain soli. I hear you on this, and I intend to start on a new diamond in the new year. I'll probably work on upgrades for a couple of years, but I'd like to get back up to around 3.75ct in the end. But THIS new ring STAYS!

Hi @Alex T :wavey: In real life, the claws are minute. I'm in love with this setting, and I'm kind of kicking myself for taking the long route to get here! But I'm veeeeery happy to have landed here now; any reading of my past threads will give a pretty clear indication how much I love 3 stone rings, so it's no surprise to me that in the end I went with my heart and here I am. :))

@foxinsox - I laughed - OUT LOUD! - at the idea of an 8ctw moi et toi!! Now that's a showstopper!! I do love the proportions of this ring, tho. I wondered if it would hurt, going from a 4.01 down to a 3.05, but the sides really stretch it out and actually give me a bigger diamond surface area. And I just LOVE the shape of it; all those people who who said "small sides! Small sides on a 3 stone!"...were absolutely right! So special thanks to @diamondseeker2006 - who always keeps me on the straight and narrow, and @Niel - whose aesthetic I trust absolutely.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @missy :kiss2: I'm SO happy with it! I loved the halo - and I was so impressed by the workmanship, but I knew from day 1 it wasn't right. I remember waking up on the first morning after I received it, and seeing it on my night stand, and having a slight sinking feeling in my tummy and thinking "oh damn...I'd forgotten about you..." :( NOT the response you want to a new piece of jewelry!

Thanks, @kathley :)) I think I would have gone out of my mind if I'd had to wait to fix the mistake I made with the halo. I can't say it often enough - the halo setting and the 4.01ct ACA were perfection. Just not for me. It was such a relief to be able to move so seamlessly to something I adore. And I'm with you - I love a good classic look!

@Tekate I'm so glad you like it! I have certain gaps in my collection, and am trying to plug them. It's slow going, but I'm getting there! :mrgreen:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really understand this decision, and it is a situation that many of us find ourselves in. There's just no way to know unless we try out a ring design. I love the three stone and agree that it is classic and timeless and just comfortable to wear anywhere, anytime. You are really making me lean towards trying the three stone, but I have the complication of having to have matching sidestones cut, unfortunately!

Can you tell me the mm of your center and sides? I'd like to know the proportions.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, mrs-b, I for one am not totally surprised. There have been hints along the way about downsizing and three stone rings that made me think hmmmm….wonder what is going on?

Jewelry is such a personal thing. It has to be just right or it is not right at all. Better to reach out and make it something you love than to settle for something you don't regardless of size. As you well know, I love a three stone ring and yours is no exception! White diamonds contrasted with yellow gold just makes my heart go pitter-patter!

It is beautiful and I hope you love every minute and every sparkle! Are you planning to wear it solo or will you pair it with a band?

Also, please share with us the stats - table, crown and pavilion angles!!

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo beautiful, @mrs-b!!! It looks perfect on your finger!! Great idea!! Looking forward to your next projects!!! :love:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwww - @Dandi - you are so sweet! Thank you for your kind words. :)) The halo'd tourm won't be until the new year, I think, but it will be something special when it's done. It's going to have some tweaks, but it will be an eye-catcher! And I'm still loving your 5 stone! Are you still enjoying it, and is it doing all you'd hoped it would do? I hope all is well with you. :kiss2:

@Acinom - thank you! And yes, I can't imagine not doing something with that amazing halo setting! I think it just needed something to break it up a bit, so the tourm should work just fine. Tho I don't need to tell YOU anything about the power of colored gems - your collection is glorious!!

Ooooooh, @diamondseeker2006! How right you are about not knowing until you wear a ring! I saw halos, I loved halos - but something in my heart said "not for you, mrs-B!" I ignored it and went ahead regardless....and learnt pretty promptly who I really am in my soul when it comes to rings - and it's not a halo girl! I can TOTALLY see you with a 3 stone, knowing how much you love a well made classic! My sides are exactly 5.5mm, with a 9.35mm center. Or to put it another way - the sides are each almost exactly 20% ct of the center stone. And if this helps at all, Jon told me he'd be able to cut matching AVR sides if I wanted to make a 3 or 5 stone out of my new .64ct AVR. I mean, I'm just sayin'.... :mrgreen:
Thank you for your help, my friend. I appreciated it and would not have the ring I have, had it not been for your aesthetic astuteness.

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girl you know I think it’s perfect as we are exactly the same bling person.
I have had the same thoughts about rings I e had. “People say this is perfect but still I want a change”. I think sometimes this place can be counter productive in that sense.
It’s AMAZING AND PERFECT AND I LOVE IT

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She’s heavenly, @mrs-b :kiss2: While I admired the halo ring, this three-stone is simply stunning. It’s so amazing and right at home on your hand. I hope you enjoy her! Can’t wait to see the new tourmaline set - it sounds divine!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is gorgeous and I agree with the others about loving the way the side stones are set. I can't wait to see it!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring, well done! You deserve a lot of respect for moving forward and getting exactly what you wanted! Great job.

Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results