shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather finish on a VS1? Should it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DLFB

Rough_Rock
*yes, I used the search engine.

What does GIA mean when they say "feather finish"? I understand "feather" alone , but feather finish?

I''m thinking it shouldn''t matter for a VS1, but I might as well ask just to make sure.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have never seen it before but would love to know the answer. I also looked it up but only your post came up.

By the way, I was able to see a feather with my naked eye on a GIA VS1 so I am always hesistant about feathers now depending on the placement on the diamond.

DLFB

Rough_Rock
based from my research, as long as the feather isn''t close to the surface then its good right? how far from the surface are we talking about here?

I''ve been cracking down on feather inclusions since I''m close to buying a stone, but the only thing that''s pulling me back is that it has cloud, crystal and feather. So right now I''m looking for alternatives and the one alternative I''m looking at has the "feather finish".

Here''s the stone I was originally looking at:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lwaaa9&s=4

if anyone wants to re-assure me or warn me, feel free to do so.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2008 6:45:41 PM
Author: DLFB
based from my research, as long as the feather isn''t close to the surface then its good right? how far from the surface are we talking about here?

I''ve been cracking down on feather inclusions since I''m close to buying a stone, but the only thing that''s pulling me back is that it has cloud, crystal and feather. So right now I''m looking for alternatives and the one alternative I''m looking at has the ''feather finish''.

Here''s the stone I was originally looking at:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lwaaa9&s=4

if anyone wants to re-assure me or warn me, feel free to do so.
That''s not a VS1 is it? You HAVE to see magnified images of a stone if it has inclusions and is SI, particularly. I don''t think there is much to worry about with VS1. Those are supposed to be difficult to see the inclusions with a 10x loupe.

DLFB

Rough_Rock
^ that one was the original stone i was looking at, which is an F, SI2

how bad is that feather? I was estimating it and I'm guessing it's 2-3mm in length which is long in my opinion (the measurement is 5.7 x 5.7 x 3.5 ish)

and if anyone wants to answer the original question :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2008 6:53:50 PM
^ that one was the original stone i was looking at, which is an F, SI2

how bad is that feather? I was estimating it and I''m guessing it''s 2mm in length.
The SI2 looks way too risky to me. I wouldn''t consider it for a second unless it is from a vendor such as WhiteFlash or Good Old Gold who can provide you with magnified images of the stone itself.

DLFB

Rough_Rock
the stone is actually coming from a reputable seller, but again, it bothers me whenever I think about it.

is it that bad? I thought I had a winner already
7.gif

DLFB

Rough_Rock
uppppppp

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t worry about inclusions in a GIA or AGS graded VS1.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2008 7:01:33 PM
the stone is actually coming from a reputable seller, but again, it bothers me whenever I think about it.

is it that bad? I thought I had a winner already
7.gif
Have they supplied you with magnified images of the actual stone? Did they examine it and tell you if it was eyeclean?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2008 10:14:04 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I wouldn''t worry about inclusions in a GIA or AGS graded VS1.
k, he is referring to a SI2 a few posts down. The plot would make me have to have magnified images.

DLFB

Rough_Rock
The seller''s been excellent with giving me information about the stone. I''ll have the pics up as soon as i get them.

and thanks kcoursolle
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I am really confused as to whether you are more interested in the VS1 or the SI2. I wouldn''t worry about VS1. I would worry about the SI2. But I''d want photos or idealscopes of either one! Sorry if I misunderstood.

DLFB

Rough_Rock
It's actually my fault, sorry.

Yeah, I'm thinking on which stone should I go for because of that feather inclusion of the SI2 stone. I brought this topic up for the 2nd stone=VS1 (in case I changed my mind about the 1st stone=SI2).

Thanks for your help though
2.gif

Here's the scope photos of the SI2 stone:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29qijdf&s=4

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2s187iu&s=4

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there not any in your size range that are VS2 or SI1? Those can be very nice and would avoid the potential problems of the SI2 and the extra cost of the VS1. If you want to do some more searching, use the cut quality search and put in excellent-excellent for cut and check GIA and AGS for labs and you''ll come up with in-house stones mostly.

https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx

DLFB

Rough_Rock
Yeap, have done tons of searching and I was just lucky to have been offered that stone. I actually started emailing other sellers if they can offer me a stone of the same specs (basically H&A)and for around the same price. It''s either I have to drastically go down with my ct wt or increase my budget (which has already been stretched).

scope pics are up for the SI2 stone btw. ^^^

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know what feather finish means? Curious.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2008 11:38:50 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
Does anyone know what feather finish means? Curious.
I think this doesn't actually mean a ' feather finish' but it is written on GIA reports as -

clarity characteristics - feather
Finish
polish
symmetry

DLFB

Rough_Rock
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lxiljl&s=4

picture of the report which says "Feather finish"

As long as its no biggie then I''m good with the diamond. If the SI2 diamond isn''t good enough I''m gonna go with the VS1 diamond

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2008 2:15:52 PM
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lxiljl&s=4

picture of the report which says 'Feather finish'

As long as its no biggie then I'm good with the diamond. If the SI2 diamond isn't good enough I'm gonna go with the VS1 diamond
Yes as I thought, the clarity characteristic is a feather and finish refers to the polish and symmetry grades.

If the images are of the SI2 diamond and it is being sold from a reputable vendor then you should be fine - did I miss the proportions of the stone anywhere?

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei is correct. Finish is the next category. It does not say feather finish..... It says Feather and the next category is finish :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Doh. I feel like an idiot not figuring that one out.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2008 2:50:46 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Doh. I feel like an idiot not figuring that one out.
CP this isn''t the first time this has come up so don''t feel bad!
35.gif

DLFB

Rough_Rock
Ahh, I feel like an idiot now. But one would assume (like myself) that "finish" is part of the first line. Thanks!

As for the SI2, as soon as I get pictures then I''ll post them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2008 4:39:52 PM
Ahh, I feel like an idiot now. But one would assume (like myself) that ''finish'' is part of the first line. Thanks!

As for the SI2, as soon as I get pictures then I''ll post them.
NO NO NO!!!!!

PLEASE don''t feel like an idiot, this is what we are here for to help and trust me we want everyone to feel comfortable asking about anything they are not sure of. It is confusing with all the new terms and info, so ask away if there is anything you are not sure of. This has come up before also, so you are not the only one wondering!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results