shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat lovers please help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hey I need advice/encouragement.

I was doing laundry & looking for something & I almost stepped in a pile of cat poop on the basement floor. UGH.

So I clean everything up & change out the litter box (which was not very full) and now I''m trying to figure out how to clean up all the scattered cat litter (I use the no tracking kind...YEAH RIGHT!) that my cat has strewn all over the back part of my basement without contaminating the broom/shop vac. I''m thinking spritzing paper towels with disinfectant & doing it by hand. YUK!

I have had it up to HERE with my cat. I love her, but I can''t take one more mess. She''s only 12, and while I feel a responsibility to her, she just tracks those nasty litter paws all over my counter tops. She hairballs all over the place & I''ve adjusted her diet per our vet so many times its not funny.

She''s expensive to feed and she is the DIRTIEST animal I have ever met. She''s old, cranky, and keeps us up all night. I am about ready to find the nearest no kill shelter & drop her off.

I don''t think I can make her an outdoor cat because her front claws have removed.

I am no longer a cat person. I am thoroughly disgusted by the whole indoor cat dynamic.

What do I do? I want to be a good owner, and I want to be good to her, but I''ve been struggling with this since my first child was born almost 4 years ago & todays mess was just too much.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Diver
at this point she is considered an "older" cat. 12 is getting up there. I think that moving her would probably be devastating to her. Is there a way you could section her off to just one area of the house? Or do you have a porch that could be her home in the warm months? I had a messy hair - ball shedding cat as well, she was cranky and sometimes downright mean. She lives with my dad and grandmother currently (this was a family pet, she went to dad when the divorce of parents happened), and is much the same, but we''d never let her go anywhere. But I feel your pain, it stinks, it''s gross, but unfortunately that is part of pet ownership. Algae in my fish tank is gross, horse poop and pee are gross, and picking up my dog''s poo when I walk her outside of my yard are gross, but its all part of pet ownership and sometimes we learn lessons the hard way (unfortunately). I''ll probably never have a fully indoor kitty again, mine will learn to go out, maybe you could teach her to go out and come back in when she''s done? Like supervise and make sure she doesn''t go far to teach her?

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I have a very safe backyard. Its fenced in with a 6ft cedar fence and has a TON of covered shelter. I''m almost tempted to make her a cat house out there with a nice warm bed & let her inside at night, especially when its cold. I live in a very temperate climate, so its never really cold or really hot here...I mean if she was outside HALF the time, it would make my life easier by about half...right? I can live with that!

After finding my guest room covered in hairballs & cat litter in the guest bed (and all the cleaning with BLEACH that ensued) I had DH put up a door (there was no door, my basement is half finished) and right now she basically "lives" in the unfinished daylight, but she has run of the house, she just prefers it down there.

At least now my guest room stays hair/litter/hairball free. DH and I are saving up $$ to finish the rest of the basement, and it should take a few years, but I really won''t to have her down there making a mess in my kids playroom, new laundry room, guest bath & den area once its carpeted/drywalled made nice like the rest of the house. Who knows, maybe she''ll be up in the big catnip field in the sky by then & it won''t be an issue. Seeing as how hard saving is these days. LOL.

I have 2 kids in diapers, one being potty trained, and I have to clean up the dog poo in the yard (big german shepherd dog poo) and then I am always trying to clean long dog hair, long cat hair, and sticky fingerprints from the 2 legged monsters.

I am OVERWHELMED. I need my dog (watchdog) and she''s really easy...I know its horrible to say, but I''m just too kid centered to be bothered by pet issues. I wish I had known that--I had my pets before becoming a parent.

I told dh he''s going to develop a "cat allergy" so when the kids ask for a cat later on I will say NO!

I am DONE with cats. So very very done. This is my last one. Its so weird, I had them all throughout my childhood...but they were outdoor.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Definitely try the outside half time inside half time and see how she and you adapt! Most cats enjoy being outdoors some of the time anyways!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 5:58:41 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Definitely try the outside half time inside half time and see how she and you adapt! Most cats enjoy being outdoors some of the time anyways!
i disagree: she is declawed and has lost her ability to defend herself.....and she''s 12 years of age which means her reflexes are not as good nor is her eye sight. i see large vet bills in this scenario.

if you must put her outside, at least build her an enclosed schelter with a proper roof. just make sure your daily routine still includes her.

movie zombie

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
You probably should have asked for the opinions of someone other that cat lovers.

As a cat lover, it''s hard to hear that you''d give up your cat that you love to be put to sleep. At 12 years old, she will be put to sleep. No-kill shelters are overflowing with pets of foreclosure families. The shelter that I volunteer at adopted 86 animals out last week, but took in 140. 80 of which were owner surrendered. Shelters that kill for space will probably have your cat be the first one to go.

My two cats get litter everywhere, and puke at least once a week. It''s just part of being a pet owner. You owe it to this cat to let him live out his senior years with you. Not in a shelter waiting to be killed. Please do not give up your cat

Try to keep your cat to one area as much as possible. If it''s hairballs, have you tried remedies? LItter attractant so he goes in the litter? It may be work, but you owe it to the kitty to try.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
How spry is your 12-year-old cat? I have a high-sided rubbermaid bin for my cat's litterbox (so the puppy won't eat those little nuggets). When he jumps out, he doesn't spread too much litter around, and the high sides keep him from kicking it around. He gets in and out just fine. If you want to again reduce litter spreading, put a patch of old carpet around it. Carpet will catch any remaining litter in his paws. And then once/month or so, you can shake out the carpet.

If he's not spry enough to jump in and out, you can cut a hole in the side. He will be able to get in and out, and the high sides will reduce litter all over the place.

I'm a neat freak, and I have a puppy and a cat - it can be done!

ETA: I sweep the cat litter area once/day after emptying it. I keep a small broom and dustpan next to it to make it easy - it takes 1-2 minutes every morning.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do your cat and your dog get along? If they do, I'd consider letting the cat out in the back yard during the day. Unless she has some sort of medical condition, the poop on the floor is probably some way to get your attention and send you a message... probably "hey, what about meeeeee?" Giving her a change of scenery, especially in a well-secured back yard -- may be a way to solve that, and it's certainly preferable to getting rid of her.

I've had cats all my adult life, usually two at a time, and they've all been indoor/outdoor cats. Mine stay within a house or two of home, and when they get older, even closer than that. (Before the flames start -- all of my cats have lived to be 20 or so.) I know your cat's front claws have been remove, but cats are like rabbits -- when they need to defend themselves, those back feet come into play too. If you have a secure back yard and a dog to guard it, I think it's worth trying some outdoor time.

BTW cats on the kitchen counter are simplly not tolerated in my house. My cats don't respect all the rules I try to instill in them, but I make sure they get the kitchen counter one early on and I make sure it sticks. I think it's worth the effort to teach and enforce that one, even with an older cat. You might find yourself a little more tolerant of your cat's -- eh -- quirks if she sheds one or two that you find the most offensive.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2008 8:00:11 PM
Author: movie zombie

i disagree: she is declawed and has lost her ability to defend herself.....and she's 12 years of age which means her reflexes are not as good nor is her eye sight. i see large vet bills in this scenario.

if you must put her outside, at least build her an enclosed schelter with a proper roof. just make sure your daily routine still includes her.

movie zombie
Ditto. And take her to a shelter? I would think there is a very good chance she will be put to sleep, not to mention the anguish having to leave her home and being abandoned would cause her. She may not have much time left anyway if her health isn't what it was, try to hang in there with her please.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 4:31:48 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 10/1/2008 8:00:11 PM

Author: movie zombie

i disagree: she is declawed and has lost her ability to defend herself.....and she's 12 years of age which means her reflexes are not as good nor is her eye sight. i see large vet bills in this scenario.

movie zombie

Ditto. And take her to a shelter? I would think there is a very good chance she will be put to sleep, not to mention the anguish having to leave her home and being abandoned would cause her. She may not have much time left anyway if her health isn't what it was, try to hang in there with her please.

I thritto this. If she's been declawed she will not be able to defend herself at all and also if she's always been an indoor cat, putting her outside at 12 years of age is not a good idea. A shelter will more than likely put her to sleep due to her age. There are so many younger cats that want a good home so most people will overlook a cat at her age. What food is she on? Some reduce the amount of waste and the smell of it. Also if you do put her out, make sure that you do still give her attention-you've been her owner for years and she needs you.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
You CANNOT put your 12 year old declawed cat outside. Period.

I have strong feelings on this. The cat is your responsibility in this throw away world. With the exception of pooping outside the box (which might be a sign of a health issue)....your cat isn''t doing anything out of the ordinary. As for walking out counterts, it IS possible to train them not to...when we were in our old house, we NEVER used the kitchen table...they were on it all the time...Now, after yelling NOOOO a few times, they''re never on it.

If you''re going to give up the cat, the least you can do is post an ad and see if kitty can get a good home with someone is actually likes cats....

Best of luck...

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 9:39:42 PM
Author: elledizzy5
You probably should have asked for the opinions of someone other that cat lovers.

As a cat lover, it''s hard to hear that you''d give up your cat that you love to be put to sleep. At 12 years old, she will be put to sleep. No-kill shelters are overflowing with pets of foreclosure families. The shelter that I volunteer at adopted 86 animals out last week, but took in 140. 80 of which were owner surrendered. Shelters that kill for space will probably have your cat be the first one to go.

My two cats get litter everywhere, and puke at least once a week. It''s just part of being a pet owner. You owe it to this cat to let him live out his senior years with you. Not in a shelter waiting to be killed. Please do not give up your cat

Try to keep your cat to one area as much as possible. If it''s hairballs, have you tried remedies? LItter attractant so he goes in the litter? It may be work, but you owe it to the kitty to try.

Wow, you didn''t even read my post. I did NOT say I was going to drop her off to be put to sleep.

I said I was at the end of my friggin rope & was *this* close to taking her to a NO-KILL shelter. (we have those here...where they place the animals with your help & donations...no cat is euthanized.)

Instead you just decided to judge me when I originally came here for ---as I worded at the top of my post---- advice & ENCOURAGEMENT. From CAT LOVERS. Ummmm....maybe to give me some great ideas to help me cope with her last years.

Like the big rubbermaid bin suggestion. That is actually brilliant. I''m off to buy one today.

Or the suggestion to train them to stay off the counters--I''m about to ask that poster how.

Because quite frankly...anything that puts my children''s health at risk (nasty cat paws on the floor & baby crawling across--and then putting her hands in her mouth? My son has already had ringworm once & I keep a very clean home & litterbox) CONCERNS ME.

Kids before cats. Sorry...harsh but true.

And as I said "I WANT TO BE A GOOD OWNER and be good to her" but no...you didn''t read that.

Whatever.

I have a right to be pissed off by my cat''s mess. I have a right to feel overwhelmed by my responsibilities right now, and I have a right to ask for advice without being A) read incorrectly and B) judged unfairly.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 11:58:14 PM
Author: Aloros
How spry is your 12-year-old cat? I have a high-sided rubbermaid bin for my cat''s litterbox (so the puppy won''t eat those little nuggets). When he jumps out, he doesn''t spread too much litter around, and the high sides keep him from kicking it around. He gets in and out just fine. If you want to again reduce litter spreading, put a patch of old carpet around it. Carpet will catch any remaining litter in his paws. And then once/month or so, you can shake out the carpet.

If he''s not spry enough to jump in and out, you can cut a hole in the side. He will be able to get in and out, and the high sides will reduce litter all over the place.

I''m a neat freak, and I have a puppy and a cat - it can be done!

ETA: I sweep the cat litter area once/day after emptying it. I keep a small broom and dustpan next to it to make it easy - it takes 1-2 minutes every morning.

Do you also have 2 small children and a ginormous house that you can''t close off? I don''t want to seclude her from my house if she''s going to live here, I just need to control the mess & its just too hard with our schedules. DH is never home.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
VR beauty: How do you teach your cat to stay off the counter? I''ve tried ringing a bell at her, squirting her with water, hollering "shoo!" and she''s all over it. If I could contain the litter & keep her off the counter I''d be so thrilled.

My dog & cat BOTH live indoors. The dog loves the cat & the cat barely tolerates the dog. If they were ever to get in a fight, my money would be on my cat. She still has back claws & puts my german shepherd in her place when my dog tries to play with her. So if I let the cat outside, the dog follows her & "brings" her back in....a la german shepherd herding style.

Nothing can get into my back yard. Especially not with killer the guard dog. Nothing wants to get back there.

Bee: Shes on a prescription food. She gets cystitis due to dehydration (not bacteria--she''s been tested) and has to be on a very specific food. If I deviate, we are back at the vet..this keeps her from being in pain, so I can''t change it.

MMM; I yell at her to get off my tables, counters, etc to no avail. I come home from being out & there are paw prints tracked all over my black table & countertops and I''m constantly wiping things down.

If anyone has any products that could help....I''ve tried hairball products etc.

I''ve had cats live to 18 or 19 years old. I just can''t forsee putting up with mess for another 8 years. Its disgusting.

And to everyone who criticized me thinking I was going to put her to sleep...please read the original post better. That was never my intention.

Nice way to help a fellow pser in need.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 5:07:50 PM
Author: divergrrl
Date: 10/1/2008 9:39:42 PM

Author: elledizzy5

Wow, you didn''t even read my post. I did NOT say I was going to drop her off to be put to sleep.

I said I was at the end of my friggin rope & was *this* close to taking her to a NO-KILL shelter. (we have those here...where they place the animals with your help & donations...no cat is euthanized.)

Instead you just decided to judge me when I originally came here for ---as I worded at the top of my post---- advice & ENCOURAGEMENT. From CAT LOVERS. Ummmm....maybe to give me some great ideas to help me cope with her last years.

Like the big rubbermaid bin suggestion. That is actually brilliant. I''m off to buy one today.

Or the suggestion to train them to stay off the counters--I''m about to ask that poster how.

Because quite frankly...anything that puts my children''s health at risk (nasty cat paws on the floor & baby crawling across--and then putting her hands in her mouth? My son has already had ringworm once & I keep a very clean home & litterbox) CONCERNS ME.

Kids before cats. Sorry...harsh but true.

And as I said ''I WANT TO BE A GOOD OWNER and be good to her'' but no...you didn''t read that.

Whatever.

I have a right to be pissed off by my cat''s mess. I have a right to feel overwhelmed by my responsibilities right now, and I have a right to ask for advice without being A) read incorrectly and B) judged unfairly.

I read the part where you said you were about ready to drop it off at a no-kill shelter. I took that as you were considering it. I asked you to please not give up your cat.

I did not judge you. Sorry that you took it that way. I feel very strongly about pet ownership.

I never said you were a bad pet owner, or judged you, or anything you accused me of. I merely said that most no-kill shelters are full. That is very very true. If you''re lucky enough to find one, great for you, not so much for the cat.

You asked for cat lovers, I''m a cat lover. I feel strongly about keeping pets permanently. I''m entitled to my opinion. I thought I was pretty nice about it. There was no reason to jump down my throat. I''m out.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
about the poop on the floor, was it poop, or a pooplet? What i''m asking is, do you think she intentionally squatted and did her business on the floor or do you think it might have been a little one that got stuck on her tail?

If you think it was intentional, try varying the type of litter box that she has. Cats are strange and as they get older their preferences change. My 15 year old decided one day that the covered litter box wasn''t working for her and made the cream carpet her home to go. I got an uncovered box and things are better.

There are uncovered boxes, boxes with the lid and the hole, the Booda system which is a round covered box with a ramp (this one is helpful with litter-toes because the ramp gets some of the litter out), self-cleaning ones, etc. Try a couple of different ones out. It might be slightly expensive, but it will be worth it in the long-run. I tend to like the ones with the higher sides or the booda. The cat has to take it easy coming out. It''s the lighting-speed running after doing their business that makes them fling litter everywhere. I take it kitty is pretty spry considering that she is on your counter-tops.

Also, getting a really big mat around the box to trap the litter is helpful. The more it looks like fake plastic grass, the better it is at tracking things.

About vacuuming it, if it''s just litter, i don''t understand why you can''t vacuum it, but i think I''m missing something. Can you explain this for me?

As for the counter there are a few things you can do. One big one is to put double-sided tape on the counter tops for a bit. Cats hate the feeling of it and once she realized it''s there and she hates it, she''ll be less likely to do it. This is probably the safest, non-toxic way to deal with the issue.

Re: Hairballs. You mentioned long cat fur. Well, if you have a long-haired cat, this is part of the deal unfortunately. However, what you think might be hairballs actually might be vomit sometimes (mixed with fur). Hairballs are hard and they look like cat-fur colored poop. If she has an upset tummy and is vomiting, fur is going to be within the vomit because she is a longer haired cat. So. . . if you think it might be vomit, try feeding her smaller meals at a time. One of my lovelies eats way too fast and then proceeds to vomit. We make all sorts of innappropriate cracks at her having eating issues, but what it boiled down to is that she gets too excited, eats to fast and then yacks it up. Poor baby. If it is hairballs, she might require more brushing or even a haircut (but please don''t make her look like a lion. Cats who get the lion cut always look so POed. I feel like it''s the cat equivalent of a jerry curl or a mullet).

If all else fails, please go back to the vet and discuss these issues.

Afterall, you made a commitment to be her Mama. Until one of you dies. Think about her as a person. Teenagers are expensive to feed and are the dirtiest animals i''ve ever met. They are cranky, keep you up at night and (if they are boys) miss the toilet sometimes. I hope things get better.

Cheers!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diver, this might sound like a weird suggestion, but what about (occasionally) lining your kitchen counter with tin foil? I used to have a cat that would always jump on our counters and it drove me nuts. I heard that the sound or feel of tin foil freaks out cats, so I tried it. It worked pretty well. We didn''t keep the counters lined with tin foil all the time, but I got it out whenever the cat was with me and it looked like he was about to jump up.

I know it''s a stange suggestion, but it *might* help.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
diver--I can tell you are completely overwhelmed with taking care of all of these beings, and I feel for you. I don''t have children of my own, and I can only imagine how difficult it must be to take care of them.

I, too, am a conscientious pet owner. I think that adopting pets is a huge responsibility, and not one that should be taken lightly. And I think the fact that you came on to PS seeking advice shows that although you are totally up to your ears in stress and feeling overwhelmed, you''re trying to do right by your kitty.

Okay, that being said, it sounds like you''ve gotten some great advice here. Let me tell you what we''ve experience with our older cats:

My little Bootsie started pooping outside of her litter box (and peeing on my clean laundry) about three years ago, when she was 15-years-old. I took this as a sign that she was sick, so I brought her in to the vet right away. Sure enough, she has hyperthyroidism, and she''s been on $75/month medication and special diets ever since. At first, our vet told us that the medication should make her feel better, and she would then begin using her litter box again. SO, we kept her in one room of the house, yet she never used her box regularly again. Never. We bought those scents you put in the box to attract them, we tried to train her by picking her up and placing her in the box whenever she started to go somewhere else. None of it worked.

But I love her. I''ve had her since I was ten-years-old, so I was dedicated to keeping her as healthy and happy as possible.

Next, I bought a huge cage (it''s huge, it''s one of those that they use in pet stores to keep six to eight cats in) with four different levels and kept her in there while I was at work, and took her out when I got home and kept her in the room with me. Our vet thought this might retrain her to use the box since most animals don''t like going to the bathroom where they sleep. It didn''t work.

She''s been on those meds and in that giant cage ever since. I worried at first that her quality of life was compromised, but she is as happy as ever. We''ve made about twenty different carpet-covered tubes for her to sleep in and hung them in the cage (we have to replace them every time she poops on one, which happens every few months). We take her out when we''re home, and she cuddles up with us constantly.

And we clean really gross poop off of the various levels of her cage every single day, and sometimes three to four times a day. Is it disgusting? YES. Is it sometimes embarrassing? Yes. She pooped on a level last night when I had a whole family of friends over, and hubby had to run and clean it up immediately because it absolutely stunk.

But she''s my baby. I love her. And I''m willing to spend the money on the meds and the food. It is not easy. Hubby has called me a couple of times completely exasperated about the situation because he''s never had to deal with older cats as an adult. But this is what we do. We have a pet, and she is ill but her illness is not one that calls for putting her down, so we''re doing what we can with the situation.

Perhaps you can try keeping her in one space, or retraining her to use the litter box. Call your vet, ours had a ton of ideas, and I''m certain yours will, too.

Good luck. I know it''s tough, but your kitty needs your love and compassion, especially now as she reaches old age.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ve heard about the foil on the counter trick and have read it actually works.

movie zombie

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Divergrrl: One thing to try for the litter box is a litter product called cat attract:

http://www.preciouscat.com/

I've used it before to train kittens -- which admittedly is pretty easy, and not comparable to your situation. However, it's not that expensive as something to try. Chances are if it's going to work, it'll work pretty quickly so you wouldn't need to use it on a continuing basis.

I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Litter for my two because it has less dust, and seems to track less, than most other litters. It is a bit more expensive but the dust part especially is worth it to me. Unfortunately it isn't totally track-free, but it does seem to be pretty good. I've used the wheat based litter before and it really minimizes the tracking problem. It is also more expensive than most, and I'm not sure this is the best use of a food/fuel product so I don't use it anymore. My brother has had good luck with the pine pellets. He actually uses woodstove pellets, which are dirt cheap compared to most other options. Not all cats take to that, and it does require a diffrerent litter box (that you can order from the folks who sell the pine litter) because they work totally differently. My mother's cat did not adjust to the pine pellets and I haven't tried them with mine. However, there is zero tracking problem with this stuff.

You're at a bit of a disadvantage in training your cat to stay off your counters because of her age. However, I suspect that's one thing -- along with the litter box training -- that would really decrease your stress a lot so it would be worthwhile to go all out on this one. Cats on the kitchen counters is one thing I absolutely will not tolerate, so it's one of the first things I train. I'd yell "NO!" loudly and emphatically enough to frighten them, and combine it with swatting the cat off the counter if necessary. (In your case, because of your cat's age, it might have to be more of a grab and careful drop.) Repeat as necessary. As Movie Zombie said, there are other things to try like crumpled foil and double-sided tape. But I think it's important for cats to respond to an emphatic "no" -- as in stop in your tracks and don't go there , Buster -- for their own safety so it's one thing I try to instill in my cats early on. (Yes, I feel like a meanie when I'm screaming at a younger cat. But the payoff is that I have an effective way to get my cat's attention in a potentially dangerous situation.)

As for the truth in advertising, my cats do not go on the counters at all... but I do have reason to believe that they get on the fireplace mantle when I'm not home, and they consider the top of the cocktail table to be fair game if I happen to be using it
38.gif

Good luck with your cat. I hope you're able to find some solutions.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never really had a cat before so I can''t give any advice... I just wanted to say that I hope you find some sort of solution. I had a friend who had 8-12 cats and dogs at any given time. Her cats wandered all over the counters and ended up eating quite a few raw steaks that were left out to thaw
23.gif

Her family didn''t mind them being up there so they never trained them not to do it. It seems like there have been quite a few good suggestions for training your kitty though so hopefully something will work. I am an animal lover but also have sympathy for those times when it just doesn''t seem like your pet fits in with your life anymore. I know a pet should be forever, but when your life changes and your pets personality/behavior changes, it can be extremely difficult to turn things around. Good Luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diver, in the Mommies Thread where you said " people can't read for you know what" we were just trying to help!!

Look I feel your pain, I have a cat who is incontinent at times and he sprays pee, he is in good health according to our vet and we have tried many things, but he will still do it occasionally when he is stressed.

As to your cat, there are things you can try to keep her off the counters and tables. Use a loud voice as you have, if you catch her up there hike her down and tell her NO, then she should get the message eventually, it worked for mine as has tinfoil, cats hate the crackling under their feet so that is worth a try until the penny drops with her that your table and counters are a no go area. The double sided tape is also a good idea, I hadn't heard of that one before and it sounds like it could work.

As to the litter, I am forever sweeping it up too, as to the messes outside the box, I don't know if there is a lot you can do about that, maybe change the box type might work.

I can understand that urge to ferociously protect your children!!! But at 12 years, your cat may not have a lot of time left anyway if her health is declining, try to stick with her and perhaps spend some time daily interacting with her - I know how busy you are with the kids but try to fit her in, the cat needs and loves you.

I just thought of something else, does she have long hair? If she is getting poop caught around her back end or it is dropping off in the rest of the house, and she is a long hair, then clipping the hair away can really help, I have Persians who do this and it helps a lot. Also you say DH is never home and it does sound as if you have a heck of a lot on your plate right now, could you get in some help, maybe someone to do a bit of cleaning a couple of times a week to give you a break? That could really make a difference to how you feel, just a suggestion.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh! I forgot about the foil trick! I lined T''s crib with foil (while preggo) so my 2 cats wouldn''t jump in it. Must have worked b/c one day I noticed little paw indentations and they NEVER try to jump in there now. DH thought I was crazy but it works! Squirt bottle works for us too (but sounds like she is not easily scared off) Plus you have to be there to "catch" them in the act.

My cats are short haired but one does vomit sometimes. Sometimes food, sometimes hair balls. Sometimes I feel like I clean up vomit all day. Haha. Both are in door so I have no advice on the outdoor part.

Sounds like you are *overwhelmed*! I cannot imagine how hard it is b/c I know your husband travels for business all the time. You are doing a great job Diver and I know you love your cat. You can do it lady!!!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, if the foil doesn''t work for the counters (my cat tried to EAT it), try double-sided tape (marketed as Sticky Paws at the pet store). Never met a cat that didn''t avoid that stuff like the plague.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve also found using a lemon scented kitchen spray has worked wonders with Manolo. He hates the lemony smell so he stays off the counter most of the time now.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Cats definitely hate the double-sided tape. Ours decided that he really liked "walking the tightrope" (a.k.a. the top of our flat-screen TV) and since I put a strip of tape there sticky-side up, he hasn't gone near it. I just used regular packing tape and curled each end under to stick it to the TV, so that it faced up -- no need for the pricey Sticky Paws stuff. If we had a furniture problem, though, I would have gotten the Sticky Paws because it's not supposed to leave any residue when you peel it up.

I also second the "fake grass" mats for catching litter, we have one in front of our cat's box and it's amazing how much litter ends up in it.

Good luck, I hope you find a workable solution soon.

ETA: *bee, I had heard about cats hating citrus, too! I haven't tried it, but it could definitely be worth a shot, and using citrus oils should be non-toxic and good for someone with kids.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Awww, Diver, I''m so sorry you are having this stress.

I think you got some great, practical suggestions... and I think this *battle* can be won by utilizing lots of little strategies that will hopefully add up to a nice sizable *fix*. Keep us posted.

[hugs!]
Lynn

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I didn''t respond last night, I had to teach & then had a meeting at my son''s preschool.

Tons of great ideas. I have a great pet food/stuff store here in my ''hood & the owner is a friend, so I''m going to see if she can hook me up with some better litter & a better box.

Zoe Bartlett: I''ve heard the foil remedy is a good one, I think that will amuse my son to no end, I''ll let him put it up there. And one of my students in class last night told me that there are these sonic things you can get to keep them off the counters/sofas etc. Sounds more expensive than foil, so I''m going to try foil first. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Cellososweet: My reluctance to vacuum/sweep the litter was because some of it was contaminated with pee/poop. I fixed that buy purchasing a hand broom & dustpan just for her at the dollar store. I didn''t want to get poo germs on my vacuum that I run all over the house. KWIM? (I''m a poo germ phobe if you haven''t gotten that by now, esp. since it causes ringworm & my son has gotten despite my efforts to keep a very clean home. I''m ALWAYS CLEANING) I''m checking out this Booda system later today. It sounds interesting.

Haven; I can''t even wrap my head around what you do for your cat. Someone would have to haul me off to a looney bin. You are awesome. It really does help that you don''t have non-fur children--my kids exhaust me to no end, I went crosseyed reading what you have to do.

VR you won''t believe this, but my cat tracked the pine pellets just as bad too. I''m beginning to think she is in there throwing a litter party. I''m wondering if she doesn''t like her covered litter box any longer?

Oobiecoo: Thank you for saying that. We had to find a new home for our beagle in ''05 because she bit me, bit dh (drawing blood each time trying to get a piece of food she wasn''t supposed to have) and then my son learned to crawl & she tried to bite him just because he crawled past her. I went through beagle rescue & spent a long time interviewing families & found a nice lady with no kids. I felt horrible, but dog bites and kids don''t mix and once a dog bites, they are gone for me. I am not even interested in fixing it. She hated my son from the get go---would lay in her bed & glare & growl while I nursed him. Since I had her for 7 years prior, I think it was jealousy. But even in my finding her a new home, I made the new owner promise to bring her back to ME if she couldn''t keep her so I could make sure she was taken care of. I never heard from her again, so I think my diligent interviewing (and the fact that my dog fell in love with this lady) paid off.

But you are right..sometimes when you have animals (which are not like humans & I don''t humanize them) and your life changes, its hard to make everything fit.

Lorelei: I haven''t even thought of clipping her. Oh that''s gonna be fun! LOL. But I bet it would help a lot. I think I might call the mobile groomer. My dog needs a bath too. Yeah, I am the person who does it all here. Its no that my dh doesn''t help, he does what he can, but his job is the reason.

I use that L.O.C. cleanser from Quixtar/Amway (my bff sells it) I think they have an orange one & I''m almost
out. But a $8 concentrated bottle lasts me 3 years and I fill a spray bottle w/ that & water & it keeps my black granite gleaming. And its cost effective since when I first got these counters, I found myself going through 4 bottles of granite cleaner a month at $5 a pop.

Ok, so thanks for the advice folks! I have quite the shopping list now. And my kitty actually slept with me last night (she used to all the time until the kids came) which is really nice.

Anyway...my advice for pet owners or people who are considering children or remodeling kitchens.

Don''t buy black granite (thank god its tile and we got it on sale at home depot for $200--we won''t be sad when we redo it in a few years) if you have pets or kids. It looks sharp, but is hard to keep clean.

Also, don''t buy a black kitchen table (esp w/kids) or bar. (I did these things pre kids...stupid)

If you are pregnant...don''t get a new pet. Now is not the time. Wait till the kids are older. It''ll be fun for them to be a part of the choosing process anyway. You will still be 100% responsible for their care (the pets) but its gotta be easier when your kids are toilet trained. Otherwise your whole life revolves around sh@t. And it gets really tiring. And if you are like me you will be amazed at how expensive kids are (medical bills for healthy ones are ridiculous) fyi, yesterday -- I had to take my baby to the doc for a fever/rash and because it wasnt a well baby visit, and they did a strep test, it will run me $267. And I have what''s considered "good" insurance.

Its just crazy how it all adds up.

but I was much better at being Martha Stewart when I only had 1 kid. Now that I have 2 its a whole new ballgame. And since I''m point guard at home, its really tough, but I try not to complain to DH too much because he''s busting his butt for us right now & is an awesome man.

Anyway....gotta make my cat shopping list. Maybe I''ll get her some nip and new toy. That can''t hurt either.

Thanks everyone!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
awesome diver...trying is all you can do!

Also, if you can, try bugging the snot out of kitty all day so that kitty doesn''t sleep during the day...when mine sleep all day, they are really annoying...now that I''m home all day, I''m always waking them up to pet or play and they are out cold at night...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results