shape
carat
color
clarity

David''s bridesmaid dresses...resizing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
So the wedding is two weeks away which means all sorts of crazy things are starting to go wrong hehe

I was asking my MOH about her dress earlier in the week since she was concerned that it wouldn''t fit and she hadn''t yet tried it on because she was scared to find it too tight. Apparently she finally tried it on today and low and behold it is WAY too tight. Her mom was able to get the zipper up all the way, but the fit is really not flattering (and I''d imagine, not at all comfortable either). I think she''s hoping that control garments will help with the fit, but to me it really looks like it needs to be let out a bit. When I made this suggestion to her, she seemed to think that the dress could not be let out any.

I''ve not seen her dress, or any David''s bridesmaid dress in person (the joys of long distance planning) so I''m hoping one of you has some experience with this...

Can a David''s bridesmaid dress be let out a size?

If it can''t, any other ideas on how we can fix this dress?

HELP :)

~Heidi

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
First off, breath. If she needs to get it let out, maybe you could get a yard of the the same color fabric and change the zipper to a corset?

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
If the dress hasn''t been altered, I believe David''s bridal might allow you to exchange for a different size. I realize time is an issue here, but you could check all local David''s to see if they have a dress you could exchange it for off the rack.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
I suggested the corset to her as well. Luckily my sister is very short so her dress needed a lot cut off and all 3 of the bridesmaid dresses are from the same dye lot so there should be extra matrial from that but I''m worried that 2 weeks isn''t enough time to put a corset in a dress plus it might look odd with the shape of the dress. Let me add a photo of the dress she chose.

megtruffledress.jpg

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/26/2008 2:03:13 PM
Author: Sabine
If the dress hasn''t been altered, I believe David''s bridal might allow you to exchange for a different size. I realize time is an issue here, but you could check all local David''s to see if they have a dress you could exchange it for off the rack.

Ooh an exchange would definitely be the easiest route. I''m going to suggest that, and if she doesn''t start making the calls herself, I will :razz: hehe

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
Sabine''s idea of exchange would be the best option for sure. I agree with you, i think a corset back might not fit that style. Nice dress by the way.

If an exchange is not an option, you could just get another dress in the same color pallet. Since she is the MOH, her dress can be different.

enfianced

Shiny_Rock
for what it''s worth, I had a bmaid dress that was too tight once and it was easily let out enough for me to be comfy.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
For bridal dresses, David''s will allow one exchange for a dress of equal or greater value (I know this because I did it!). I''m not sure what the policy is for bridesmaid dresses, but I''d bet you can talk them into it. But it sounds like the dress may already have been altered:

Luckily my sister is very short so her dress needed a lot cut off

As for letting it out, I''ve heard from an experienced seamstress that Alfred Angelo is the only bridesmaid dress designer who builds extra fabric into seams so the dresses can be let out. So I doubt you''ll have much luck with that. If you saved the fabric from the hemming, that might be a better way to go! Ask whoever did the alterations.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
As a quick update....

I called Davids and they agreed to let my MOH bring her "too small" dress in for an exchange (the MOH dress was not altered, my little sisters was so I thought we could use some of the extra material from her dress if necessary). We were hoping they''d have one in stock so we could do a quick swap, but they did not. Instead they are ordering her a new dress in the next size up and there is a $20 rush fee to do so (well worth the cost IMO). The dress should arrive by Oct 6th and the wedding is the 11th so at least she''ll have a dress that fits. She''d like to get it altered between the time she picks it up and the wedding day since she thinks the new one will be too big, but I''m leaving that up to her to figure out hehe

Thanks for all of your suggestions!! I''m sure things will just get crazier as the wedding gets closer hehe

~Heidi

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad they''ll let her exchange it! Aren''t those rush charges annoying? It''s not like they actually DO anything differently...they''re just looking for a way to make an extra buck. Oh well, at least it''s only $20, not $50 or $100. There may be a rush charge for the alterations as well, depending on the seamstress, but at least she''ll have a dress that fits!

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
heeh Yeah. I was kind of freaked with the wedding so close so a $20 rush fee didn''t even make me think twice hehe

I''ve been having such a horrible time with the alterations on my own dress that I''d gladly pay $20 to get a do over hehe

I''m really just hoping that whatever the next 12 days have in store for me are as easily solved as this little dilemma. It seemed I had all the time in the world before the wedding and now the days seem to be coming faster and faster :razz: It''s quite a ride.

~Heidi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results