shape
carat
color
clarity

The Baby Question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
I have been married exactly 6 weeks today and I have people asking me if I''m pregnant yet!
6.gif
WTF? 6 weeks people! I can excuse my mom since she REALLY wants a grandbaby, but coworkers, people I don''t know well, everyone seems to feel they can chime in. One person even asked what we were waiting on! Is this normal? I''ve NEVER done that to someone. I just think that when a couple chooses to start their family is their business.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
The top questions that are always asked:

When single
Have you started dating anyone yet? When are you going to start dating?
When dating
When is he going to propose? Why hasn''t he proposed yet? Are you ever getting engaged?
When engaged
When''s the wedding? How are the wedding plans? Are you excited?
Two days after the wedding (or at the wedding)
So when are you guys having a baby?
After baby 1
When are you having baby 2? (and so on)

It never ends.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
CHuman nature, busybodies etc etc etc. Can''t satisfy everyone. My mother-in-law, the first word that came out of her mouth wasn''t congratulation but "so fast?". Well, i got pregnant a month after our wedding, fast or not, I think its not 100% if i want to have a baby anytime I want. I''m glad I was pregnant cos I''m tired of my husband playing daddy to his stupid ex-gf children when they''re even his and their real dad is alive and well and the mom is well equipped with an atm-machine on her arm.

Ignore as much as you can, I know its not easy to do so.
19.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 1:50:54 PM
Author: fieryred33143

When single

When dating

When is he going to propose? Why hasn''t he proposed yet? Are you ever getting engaged?

When engaged

After baby 1

It never ends.
I agree. Just do your best to not let it get to you.

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock

When single
When dating
When engaged
After baby 1

It never ends.
Lol, you''re right. I got alot of these same ones as I was in the various stages. I guess it does never end...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why not just answer truthfully? That's what I do. Well, usually with a bit of sarcasm thrown in, too. Seems to satisfy people (though they're usually surprised to not be sidestepped).
25.gif

When single
1) Nope
2) Whenever I find a guy that's handsome/funny/intelligent enough!
2.gif

When dating
When is he going to propose? Why hasn't he proposed yet? Are you ever getting engaged?
1) We're thinking this winter / next year
2) We don't have a ring / we're not ready / etc.
3) Yes
9.gif

When engaged
When's the wedding? How are the wedding plans? Are you excited?
1) Next fall / spring / etc.
2) Good. (no expansion necessary...)
3) Yes, we both are.

In five years / when I'm 30 / when hubby gets a promotion
25.gif

After baby 1
When baby #1 is toilet trained and reliably sleeps through the night.

Option 2: Never! (Or when the condom breaks
31.gif
)

It never ends.
So why not have fun with it?

People have been asking us when we were getting engaged since month 6 of our relationship. It took us 3 years--so that's 2.5 years of "When is he going to propose??" The minute we were engaged we got BOTH the wedding questions AND the baby questions. People ask because they're interested in you and your plans, not because they want to annoy you
2.gif
Just answer, it's a lot more fun than saying "Leave me alone!!"

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 2:55:53 PM
Author: musey
Why not just answer truthfully? That''s what I do. Well, usually with a bit of sarcasm thrown in, too. Seems to satisfy people (though they''re usually surprised to not be sidestepped).
25.gif

When single
1) Nope
2) Whenever I find a guy that''s handsome/funny/intelligent enough!
2.gif

When dating
1) We''re thinking this winter / next year
2) We don''t have a ring / we''re not ready / etc.
3) Yes
9.gif

When engaged
1) Next fall / spring / etc.
2) Good. (no expansion necessary...)
3) Yes, we both are.

In five years / when I''m 30 / when hubby gets a promotion
25.gif

After baby 1
When baby #1 is toilet trained and reliably sleeps through the night.

Option 2: Never! (Or when the condom breaks
31.gif
)

It never ends.
So why not have fun with it?

People have been asking us when we were getting engaged since month 6 of our relationship. It took us 3 years--so that''s 2.5 years of ''When is he going to propose??'' The minute we were engaged we got BOTH the wedding questions AND the baby questions. People ask because they''re interested in you and your plans, not because they want to annoy you
2.gif
Just answer, it''s a lot more fun than saying ''Leave me alone!!''
I get the interest and to a degree I expect the questions, but I guess it''s how quickly people are almost expecting us to procreate that is most surprising.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's always up to you how much you let peoples' "expectations" get to you.

You're not the first, you won't be the last--and it's not isolated to babymaking or relationship progress. I get these kinds of questions/expectations all the time about my career. Sometimes it bothers me, but I remind myself that it's MY life and MY career (and MY babymaking schedule), not theirs. So I tell them what they want to hear and move on!

ETA: We tend to get the most annoyed by these questions when they hit a nerve. I know that's true for me. When I was having a bit of "lady in waiting" syndrome, that was when I got annoyed at the "when are you getting engaged?" questions. I felt like I had no control over the situation--so why were they asking me?

Same with work. I'm excited to talk about it and answer questions when I feel as though my career is going well, but when I'm feeling stuck, I just want people to leave me alone about it.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Hahaha... I know how you feel. People were asking me when the babies were coming AT MY WEDDING!!! Geez people! At least let us get to the honeymoon!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
People are so noisy! I have been getting the "when are you have baby #2" for like 6 months now.
20.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
there are some people that everytime i see them they ask when i am getting married. like these people are sitting around waiting to see me so they can ask or something. every time i see them!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ha, I must have noninvasive friends/family. No one has ever asked us when we''re having kids! Maybe then know I''m too busy working to have time to *get* pregnant hehe
3.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock

When single
When dating
When engaged
After baby 1

It never ends.
You forgot (the days after the wedding):
Do you feel any different?

14.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, whenever I ask such questions (and I do/have), it''s because I can''t think of anything else to talk about with that person
3.gif

Family is different--they honestly want to know, because they''re excited. But friends/acquaintances usually just think it''s something interesting that is/could be going on in your life (which it is) and that it''s something worthy of chatting about (which, again, it is).

Give ''em a break, they''re just excited for you and/or can''t think of anything else to talk about!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium

After baby 1

It never ends.
I agree with this...I think that people have finally gotten the picture that DH and I will not be having a 4th child...not intentionally anyway!

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
It''s nobody''s d*mn business (as you said, mom gets a pass because well, she is mom!). I have been married 13 years and after all that time, I now say "When hell freezes over." We don''t want kids and have none by choice, but how rude--I would never ask that. It''''s none of my busness #1. #2, you don''t know what is going on. What if a woman is going through a fertility crisis?

The best advice is to find a way to politley dismiss these poeple--unfortunately, people like coworkers, neighbors, etc., have to be dealt with delicately because you have to continue to deal with them, and you can tell them to F off (although it might feel good for 5 seconds
3.gif
)

Someone gave me great advice recently--when asked ANY question that is none of the asker''s business, simply, calmy ask back "Why do you need to know that?"

Boy, has it been effective! It has chanegd my life!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results