shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone Color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Marcus

Rough_Rock
I am looking to get engaged soon and am in the market for a diamond. I have been offered the following diamond by reputable dealer in NYC:

1.69 carat round brilliant
Meas. 7.64 - 7.68 x 4.70 mm
Depth 61.4%
Table 58%
Girdle Medium to slightly thick
Cutlet none
Polish vg
Symmetry ex
Color I
Clarity SI1
Flour. none
Price: $8600

I have an appointment to see the stone on Tuesday, so I have yet to see it. My question is that I am concerned about the color as I really wanted a G or H. I am assured that the cut is excellent and it is very brilliant, but will the low color grade effect the beauty of the stone? Can a laymen actually see the differnce between a G H and I? I would also appreciated some input as to the asking price.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I think sometimes you can see the difference between a G and an I. Ask him if he has one with med. flourescence. It should help make it look whiter.

acanuck

Rough_Rock
Ask him to show you similar stones graded G and H when you visit. Find out who graded the diamond and ask to see a copy of the cert.

IMHO, if they are of similar quality in all other respects, you won't be able to tell that much of a difference between them face up, flip em over on a white sheet of paper and then you'll likely be able to notice the difference. For a more thorough read on this subject check out Goodoldgold.com or Niceice.com - both offer really excellent explanations on color, cut etc. As you're in the NY area you may want to take a trip out to visit Good Old Gold......I sure would.....

What you'll learn is that if your really concerned about brillance you need to go beyond the basic 4C's. If you really want to be assured that it's an excellent or ideal cut you need to know more than what is listed.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/25/2003 5:29:02 PM Marcus wrote:

My question is that I am concerned about the color as I really wanted a G or H. I am assured that the cut is excellent and it is very brilliant, but will the low color grade effect the beauty of the stone? Can a laymen actually see the differnce between a G H and I? I would also appreciated some input as to the asking price.
----------------

The I color won't affect the beauty of the stone and will look white IF...and this is a BIG if......if the stone is excellently cut. Many folks here have been thrilled with their I stones, but all of them bought exceptionally well-cut stones.

The problem for you on this stone is that the information above doesn't tell you anything about how well the stone is cut. All you have so far is the vendor's "assurance" that it's well-cut.

I'd ask your vendor crown/pavilion angles. If you get the data and it checks out as a well-cut stone, then go for it without reservation. But, if you cannot get the data, I'd pass. Both Whiteflash and GOG have stones in the 1.58 ct range, I, SI1 that are excellently cut and score well on the HCA for about $8800-$9000, and they are ideal cuts with all the data to support it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
'reputable dealer in NYC'....hee hee..I had to giggle a little. We hear those words all the time on here!

I would definitely check out GOG in NY since you are so close, and also get a Sarin on the stone you are looking at. It may very well be ideal or well-cut and you are getting a great deal. But usually retailers need to mark up their stones to pay their overhead...so if AL is finding similarly priced excellently cut H&A stones for the same price online, I'd question this stone a little more...after all if it was SO GREAT why does he need to sell it at such an affordable price? Not trying to burst your bubble, my point is just be SURE you know what you are getting. Assurances from a jeweler mean nothing to me, he is after all trying to get my sale. Get the Sarin, run the numbers...hopefully you are pleasantly surprised.

Oh and on the 'I' color, if the stone is excellently cut you should be fine with an I color..many people have gotten I stones on here and because of the cut they appear whiter than they really are. But if the stone is not cut well, the color will show more. I wouldn't worry too much about the I color if the stone turns out to be well-cut.

Shop smart and in the end you will be very happy. Best of luck!
1.gif

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
Marcus,

I recently bought an I color and am very happy with it. As others have said, the cut is the key. If it helps, take a look at some pictures of the new diamond I bought by CLICKING HERE.

I suspect that next to an G, you will see a difference. Perhaps not next to an H. Once they are set, it becomes much harder to tell the difference.

Just my 2 cents.

The other thing is, I would contact the dealer and try to get a Sarin report for the stone. If you can get the measurements of the crown and pavilion angles, you can run this diamond through the Holloway Cut Adviser and know if it is likely a dud before you waste time going to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results