shape
carat
color
clarity

How can I tell if this Tiffany ring is authentic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flo030999

Rough_Rock
How can I tell if this Tiffany ring is authentic? Inside the ring, it reads 18K TIFFANY, not TIFFANY & CO 750. Item can be seen at: www.ebay.com # 110282029358
Thanks!
Flo

ebay Tiffany saphire ring.jpg

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I see the auction''s ended already - did you buy it? x x x

flo030999

Rough_Rock
Yes, I did. I''ve been on the forum, so I went along with the seller''s ratings which are over a 1100 at 100%, and since I purchased from them before.
What is your opinion on this piece? I was concerned because on the listing it says "It is stamped 18k Tiffany & Co inside (although it is difficult to see in the picture), but it is stamped 18K TIFFANY.

Flo

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Personally, it doesn''t look authentic (the markings), but for $200 Tiffany will do an appraisal (which will determine if it is authentic or not!)....

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doesn''t look it to me, but you never know. As UCLABelle says, take it to Tiffany''s. If it''s not authentic you should be able to file a SNAD claim. If it is, then you''ll have paperwork from Tiffany''s saying it is.

flo030999

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 9:51:46 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
That''s a very nice looking ring, but the neither the look of the stamp nor the wording appear authentic.

Richard,
Thanks for your feedback. I would like Tiffany to take a look at this, but we have no Tiffany''s in Alaska. Looking at the feedbacks, I''ve gotten, I am getting my doubts that it is an authentic Tiffany''s ring, but looking at the seller''s feedbacks, I don''t think he did this intentionally. Maybe the gold, diamonds, and sapphire is real? Since you have a lot of knowledge, in your opinion, how much do you think this ring is worth? I''m not sure if I should just return the ring for a refund, or keep it and get part of my money back because I do really like the design.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 10:41:46 PM
Author: flo030999
That's a very nice looking ring, but the neither the look of the stamp nor the wording appear authentic.

Richard,
Thanks for your feedback. I would like Tiffany to take a look at this, but we have no Tiffany's in Alaska. Looking at the feedbacks, I've gotten, I am getting my doubts that it is an authentic Tiffany's ring, but looking at the seller's feedbacks, I don't think he did this intentionally. Maybe the gold, diamonds, and sapphire is real? Since you have a lot of knowledge, in your opinion, how much do you think this ring is worth? I'm not sure if I should just return the ring for a refund, or keep it and get part of my money back because I do really like the design.
You will most likely need to take it to independent appraiser in person. I will not answer for Rich, but perhaps this conclusion is too hard to reach from pics alone?

Under resources at the top you can look up appraiser in your area. Good luck !

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
That''s a very nice looking ring, but the neither the look of the stamp nor the wording appear authentic.
I agree with Richard...the design, and the wording dont feel right...also the color of the sapphire is fairly dark compared to the bright blue sapphire cabs ive seen in Tiffany & Co. jewelry.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any chance tiffanys will let you mail it to them for authentication?

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
It looks as though the vendor is quite reputable, and they seem to have a pretty good return policy.

I would email them and ask on what basis they decided it was a genuine Tiffany ring - did they just guess, or was it authenticated by an expert?

I would certainly have an independent appraisal of the ring. Afterwards, if you''re happy with it anyway at the price you paid, then great - if not, I would return it for a refund.

x x x

merlinthecat

Rough_Rock
I have seen so called Tiffany rings on Ebay.

I saw one where the setting was a Tiffany band, but from the spec of the diamond there was no way it was a genuine Tiffany diamond. But the seller was clever in just letting people assume that the diamond was Tiffany, when in fact only the setting was.

So I guess the question is: How much do you like it, and is the price right ?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 10:41:46 PM
Author: flo030999

Richard,

Thanks for your feedback. I would like Tiffany to take a look at this, but we have no Tiffany''s in Alaska. Looking at the feedbacks, I''ve gotten, I am getting my doubts that it is an authentic Tiffany''s ring, but looking at the seller''s feedbacks, I don''t think he did this intentionally. Maybe the gold, diamonds, and sapphire is real? Since you have a lot of knowledge, in your opinion, how much do you think this ring is worth? I''m not sure if I should just return the ring for a refund, or keep it and get part of my money back because I do really like the design.

Did the seller furnish you with any details, such as the carat weights of the sapphire and diamonds, and quality of either?

If so, I could give you an approximate estimate of value if you''d email me the details. My email address is listed in the contact section of my website, which you can get to by clicking underneath my signature.

If there''s no details though, I''d just be shooting in the dark.

I''m with you. The seller probably doesn''t realize it isn''t genuine Tiffany, and is just going by the stamp. It''s probably an honest mistake.

flo030999

Rough_Rock
Richard,

I tried to cut and paste the information from the auction site, but couldn''t. If it''s not too much trouble, can you take a look at ebay the auction is # 110282029358?

Thanks so very much,
Flo

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Figuring the ring as non-Tiffany, and figuring the diamond grading is correct, and figuring the sapphire for "good" quality (not fine, but good), and figuring the carat weights are accurate, it looks like you bought the ring at a reasonable internet price, with it probably appraising out in the $2200 neighborhood.

This is with all the disclaimers of course that "photo appraising" with grading supplied by an unknown grader is fraught with pitfalls, etc.

Estimated Retail Range: 1900 to 2200
Estimated Retail "Discount" Pricing: 1600 to 1900
Estimated Internet Pricing: 1300 to 1600

If you like the ring you might consider keeping it. Maybe you could get the vendor to kick in a discount if the ring is found out to be non-Tiffany by an appraiser.

flo030999

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:43:15 PM
Figuring the ring as non-Tiffany, and figuring the diamond grading is correct, and figuring the sapphire for ''good'' quality (not fine, but good), and figuring the carat weights are accurate, it looks like you bought the ring at a reasonable internet price, with it probably appraising out in the $2200 neighborhood.

This is with all the disclaimers of course that ''photo appraising'' with grading supplied by an unknown grader is fraught with pitfalls, etc.

Estimated Retail Range: 1900 to 2200

Estimated Retail ''Discount'' Pricing: 1600 to 1900

Estimated Internet Pricing: 1300 to 1600

If you like the ring you might consider keeping it. Maybe you could get the vendor to kick in a discount if the ring is found out to be non-Tiffany by an appraiser.
Thanks so much for the logical information. Now, I can decide from here, what to do.

Again, than you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results