shape
carat
color
clarity

New Guy buying a Diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wjberris

Rough_Rock
Hi all -
My name is Bill, and I am in the market for an engagement ring -- I finally talked to her dad and so am now in the serious market... I have read the forums here for quite some time and explored quite a few of the vendors represented here and have learned a ton.

Question 1: I am not able to be homr during the day to receive FedEx... problem is that if I buy online and can only ship it to my card billing address (completely understandable, don''t get me wrong), what is a solution?

I am in the market for a princess cut, about 1-1.2 carat, F-G, VS2 or so.... any ideas?

Question 2: I went to my first Brick and Mortar yesterday to see some thing first hand... I saw the following and wanted your opinion:
1.14 carat
F
VS2
Table: 81.4%
Depth: 78.6%
I have some of the other numbers, but not with me -- the were at $5950 for that stone.

I know that the table and depths are off a bit, but it lokoed nice and all... it seems that I would pay about 500-600 more (and tax) over what I would pay on the net... does this sound right?

OK, enough for now -- I appreciate any advice/information you can give me - I will check back in with more questions I am sure...

Oh, here''s one... I am in Modesto, CA... any rexxxxble appraisers/jewelers that anybody can recommend in the general area?

Thanks for everything!

~Bill
shrinerbill AT sbcglobal DOT net

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/16/2003 11
6.gif
5:52 AM wjberris wrote:
Question 1: I am not able to be homr during the day to receive FedEx... problem is that if I buy online and can only ship it to my card billing address (completely understandable, don't get me wrong), what is a solution?

I believe that the shipper should be able to sent it FedEx and specify "hold" at your nearest FedEx station. Whiteflash does that for sure.

mini

Rough_Rock
Hi Bill,

Congratulations on the great news!
1.gif

In reference to your first question, you can call your credit card company and have them add another address to your account. This should take care of any insurance requirements for the shipping procedure. Another option is shipping it to your nearest FedEx pickup location.

Also, to find an appraiser you can go to www.appraisers.org
& select 'Find an appraisal expert' then scroll down to 'Option 1' and select 'Gems&Jewelry' then make a selection under 'State'.
Click 'Search' next to state to find the most convenient appraiser in your area.

You are on the right track with your diamond specs
1.gif

The depth and table are a little bit off on the diamond that you described and I recommend staying as close as possible to 64-75 for depth and 59-72 for table. I would also recommend that you try to find a girdle that is between thin to slightly thick. Avoid extremely thin or very thin girdles. In addition, no fluorescence is preferred but faint would be ok too.

Good luck with your search!

Candace
www.abazias.com

JC

Shiny_Rock
Hi Bill. I see that you are in the market for an engagement ring. I also noticed that you've had the "conversation" with her dad. I know how that feels. I purchased a princess cut diamond for my fiance' back in March. I wanted to let you know that I do have a solution for your shipping problem. There are online vendors that can have your diamond shipped to a local fedex pick up station near where you live or even your place of employment. So if you look around I'm sure that you will be able to purchase a diamond from a company that can ship to more than just your home address. In relation to the princess cut that you have listed, I don't believe that I would recommend that diamond. The "cut" of a diamond is the most important factor when determining how beautiful the diamond will appear. I personally like the depth percentage to fall between 68%-75%. I also think that a great table percentage range would fall between 68%-72%. If you want to take a more in depth look at the cut of a princess than visit www.gemappraisers.com. I have found that website to be very helpful. It looks as though you have found a diamond that has great color and clarity, but I would sugest going with a better cut. Also, I wasn't sure of who to recommend in the Modesto, CA area for an appraiser. So I would just check around to see who comes highly recommended. Hopefully this helps.
wavey.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hiya!

I think you could arrange the shipping with the seller so that you can have your package on hold at the fedex station. Otherwise you can pay by wire and have it shipped to a friend of yours.

The make of that princess looks quite off. Table should be CONSIDERABLY smaller... About 65%, give or take a few points. Was that stone certified?

Also, you might consider a G-H color in VS 2 or even SI 1 clarity so you can get a lot of bang for the bucks. Plus, you could get a larger diamond. It's all about size
naughty.gif
!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results