shape
carat
color
clarity

.9 D vs2 excellent, should I buy

Ssalbritton

Rough_Rock
The specs for this diamond are in the attached image. Here is the deal. I want a diamond that would impress every one she shows. After researching this lead me to a true hearts diamond, but I can't find one in the color d and .9. Should I wait until I find one? Will this diamond give me the same light performance? Is there another diamond with better proportions that is eye clean for around 5 grand. If there is anything you see that worries you about this diamond, let me know. At this point I just want to buy a moissanite. I feel like all I've been doing is NCAA score this hca score that. This diamond does have a score below two. Here is a link that the diamond if the pic doesn't work https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...d-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2663080
Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_0107.PNG
    IMG_0107.PNG
    538.1 KB · Views: 17

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either a D/VS or nothing ! [of course I know what you mean:. hommo sum ... ]

The stone is so by the book - all correct (HCA).

You must have noted the 'strong fluorescence' on the lab report - a detail well loved around here (search if you will), especially on colourless diamonds, such as this.

Why not E, F, G ?

Even by GIA's word, D, E & F are together the 'Colourless' range (mentioned on the report).

If something must be perfect about the stone, let it be the cut - it sure does show above & beyond the D-E hair split, or the D-F hair split.

SI1 can be good too - quite easily. [I'd be looking for one, but ... no time].

Beyond F, the thing would not be called 'Colourless' on paper (at least, not GIA paper), but would still look so in this cut & size range for the next GIA range of 'Near Colourless'; taking J off the table would still be 'strict', IHMO.

I'd say cut & size are the things that impress, as you are asking for. The letter does not always impress in a good way. The first does.

Just a thought ...

Footnote:
Of course, the setting does show a great deal ! In my opinion, especially the 'simple' ones.

Last edited:

Ssalbritton

Rough_Rock
Thanks first. What do you mean when you say d e hair split and d f hair split. I know the colors but I do t know the term hair split. Not sure if that is a diamond term. Now will a hearts and arrows diamond make that much of a difference or just stick with this excellent. As for flourescence I heard it makes the price cheaper in th d color range and that you may be able to see it in the sun. I think it will make it more icy. I think I'm going over board but her cousin sells diamonds so I need to impress.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks first. What do you mean when you say d e hair split and d f hair split. I know the colors but I do t know the term hair split. Not sure if that is a diamond term. Now will a hearts and arrows diamond make that much of a difference or just stick with this excellent. As for flourescence I heard it makes the price cheaper in th d color range and that you may be able to see it in the sun. I think it will make it more icy. I think I'm going over board but her cousin sells diamonds so I need to impress.

I think what she is wants you to understand (and if I'm wrong, please correct me) is that there is no reason to spend extra money on a D color, when E and F colors are still colorless. I'd even say that no one will be able to tell a D from a G unless those colored diamonds are sitting next to each other, upside down and unset, and against a white background. What others will notice is the cut (how much it sparkles) and size. Maximize your budget and go with a G/VS2. :)

It's likely that her cousin doesn't sell a lot of very well cut stones. It's also a possibility that all of them aren't graded by GIA or AGS.

What is your budget for the diamond alone?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think what valeria101 is saying is that it is very, very difficult to tell the difference between colors in the colorless range (DEF). Therefore, you could extend your parameters a little bit and still get an icy white diamond. With regard to strong fluoro, you are correct - it does make the price cheaper. Especially in the colorless range. The potential benefit to having blue fluoro is that it can make a diamond look a little whiter in lighting environments with strong UV component, such as direct sunlight. The blue can cancel some yellow, but if there is no yellow to begin with, there is little benefit. Therefore not much of an upside other than price. As long as you are aware of the potential downsides of strong fluoro, that could be a win for you.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you mean when you say d e hair split and d f hair split. I know the colors but I do t know the term hair split. Not sure if that is a diamond term.

Oops ...
It is just an expression: 'hair split' is any ridiculeously small amount of anything.

Now will a hearts and arrows diamond make that much of a difference or just stick with this excellent.

H&A stands for more than GIA's Excellent symmetry & polish grades ...

The Red Ideal Scope diagrams on the HCA Tool page start explaining acceptable downgrading of the average proportions.

I would not mind a HCA 'Very Good' for spread; after all, you have the exact measurements of the diamond telling exactly how it measures against others of the same weight. Small (.1mm) diferences in diameter show if they make a good deal of difference in surface - that is to say, the bigger the diamond is. .9 is not there, IMO.

Quite likely, I am thinking of the H&A designation as you do about 'D' !

As for flourescence ...

I agree ...

The 'Strong' fluorescence is a slight effect - & nice. It is quite a pleasure to see in sunlight !

I'm going over board but her cousin sells diamonds so I need to impress.

No way !

... on a second thought: ask him for an equally nice D-E/VS, H&A (potential fluorescence) with a reasonable discount.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ssalbritton

Rough_Rock
5 to 6 grand is my budget. I'm all about cut. From what I understand, it's the most important. Really my main question is will this diamonds proportions give me the same effect or light pro Forman even as a true hearts diamond. What I see in true hearts diamonds are the symmetrical arrows on a diamond facing the upward position. On this diamond I see the same thing, so I thought I may be able to get away with it. It scores excellent on there categories with the spread being very good. I'm not quite sure if that is good enough.

First I picked a true hearts with an I color for 5 grand but then I noticed how amazing the icy white diamonds look. So I searched true hearts in color d and could not find any on James Allen.

I started thinking could I get away with buying an ideal diamond on James Allen that has close to the same pattern as a real true hearts diamond and get the same light performance. Is that possible? Or do I need to go with a true hearts diamond. I'm Hopi g the diamond I have selected will have the same light performance as a true hearts. If it does not I will try to go maybe g true hearts in the same size. Your thoughts. Thanks to for bearing with me and the new thoughts

Ssalbritton

Rough_Rock
Ty ty 33 love those diamonds. I've heard of white flash too. I think it has something to do with Brian Gavin. Now are those diamonds better performers than the one I'm looking at or does it just have a better platform for picking a diamond. I did enjoy all of the ways to check out the diamonds performance. I may would take an f diamond, maybe but I can tell the difference between a colorless diamond and g in zoom mode but I bet you guys are right. I may try to step up in weight and use the g color. But I heard the price jump from .9 to 1 is a 30% increase because of the manically number. But this diamond shopping is addictive.

Is there a way I can tell if the true hearts diamond performs better than the excellent graded diamond I have, maybe by viewing the aset or ideal scope image. I'm not sure how to gauge if the true hearts diamond is a better performer or if the excellent diamond is close enough to a true hearts performance

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The H&A stands for the outmost precission of that pattern - the technical limit, not the visible approximation.

The premium is for the worry ...

[do not try to judge diamond colors that way - perceptible differences are tricky to demonstrate in photography - there are a few shots of diamonds of various colors in realistic conditions, side by side, but not many ... WWW ]

[finished editing - at long last !]

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the side,

You've got some subtle choices: D-G, fine points of H&A presentation more than precision & the 'Strong Blue' distraction ...

I'd be taking out the dice at this point !

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ty ty 33 love those diamonds. I've heard of white flash too. I think it has something to do with Brian Gavin. BG used to work at Whiteflash.
Now are those diamonds better performers than the one I'm looking at or does it just have a better platform for picking a diamond.
Your stone has none of the images that the WF stones have that we use to evaluate a stone...so there is no telling whether
that JA stone will perform as well as the WF stones. James Allen has never laid eyes on that stone you've posted. The 3 stones
that I posted were evaluated by Whiteflash to be excellent performers and they bought them as part of their inventory.
JA most likely does not own that stone (it is a virtual stone at some other location and does not belong to JA).

I did enjoy all of the ways to check out the diamonds performance. I may would take an f diamond, maybe but I can tell the difference between a colorless diamond and g in zoom mode but I bet you guys are right. I may try to step up in weight and use the g color. But I heard the price jump from .9 to 1 is a 30% increase because of the manically number. But this diamond shopping is addictive. Yes, unfortunately this is a price jump :(.

Is there a way I can tell if the true hearts diamond performs better than the excellent graded diamond I have, maybe by viewing the aset or ideal scope image. I'm not sure how to gauge if the true hearts diamond is a better performer or if the excellent diamond is close enough to a true hearts performance.
Not without requesting an H&A image and and idealscope image. I dont think JA does H&A images. That stone you picked from JA
has 80% lower halves it will produce smaller arrows and a more splintery look. I perfer 75% lower halves with bigger arrows. I guess
thats a matter of preference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results