shape
carat
color
clarity

Better diamond from certain countries

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Acclaim

Rough_Rock
A local vendor told me that there is a secret in diamond bussiness that not many people know about.

He said that diamonds from Africa, India and other hot climate countries are sparklier and more brilliant than diamonds from cold climate countries like Belgium, Canada, etc., assumming that they have same color and clarity and cut proportions.

He also mentioned that he only sells diamond from "hot" climate countries. Is this a sell tactic, or it is partly true? I have not come across any thread on this topic. Have anyone noticed or heard about the difference in optical properties of diamonds from warm and hot climate countries?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
And just when I think I've heard everything...

This is 100% bogus. When De Beers, for example, gets its diamonds out of the ground, they are combined without regard to origin and sorted into grading categories based only on quality and size. By the time they are cut and polished, there is no way that jeweler has the slightest clue where his stones came from.

Only diamonds from Canada are currently being sold based on their origin, and they carry a premium because of it.

Diamonds form 90-120 miles down in the earth. Maybe this guy can explain to you how the climate on the surface could possibly affect their appearance?

Acclaim

Rough_Rock
Thanks LawGem,

He also said that most ideal cut diamonds are from "cold" climate countries. The reason they are cut ideally so they can compete with average cut diamond from hot climate. Basically, he is saying that no one would buy these "cold" climate diamonds if they are not cut to ideal proportions.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I would never speak to that salesman again. What a load of c__p. Either he was told this and believes it himself which makes him very dumb, or he's thought of a strange way to try to lure people to buy from him.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
What a load!!!

Since diamonds were actually formed roughly between 100 million and 3 billion years ago in the bowels of the earth (as stated above) there were no countries or continents and I dare say the climate was very different then!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!

If anyone collects 'strange diamond-talk' this is the one for the cover. I've heard loads of strange salesman talk, but this is something to behold. If you ever go to the dealer again, ask him for a discount for his chat and get an Ukrainian cut diamond.

twirl.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey,

Then you should see our crop of this summer.

We had a record summer with the highest average temperature since they kept data, that is since 1835. This of course is reflected in the quality of our diamonds. True collector's pieces, I should say.

Truly, if you really want an exquisite diamond, you should definitely take one cut in Belgium in 2003.

And this winter, we are going to cut in our greenhouse, just to be sure that you get the best possible quality.

Live long,

Paul

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I just thought that you should print this thread out once everyone responds and mail it to him. You don't have to give your name - just send it to him and he'll get the picture. He probably has told this line to others so he may not even know it's coming from you.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
This one win's PriceScope's "BS Story of the Month" award.

We need to make up an award like the Oscar, only portraying a bronzed pile of manure.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The biggest hit in the budget jewellery world at present is 'Hot Diamonds' a British company selling little diamonds in Silver
1.gif

Actually as everyone has said, the diamonds came up via volcaonoes but from very few sources of diamonds - the continents drifted over them and wham-O.

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
Heh... I'm going to microwave my diamond. It's been in the ground too long... too cold.
3.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/4/2003 12:48:43 PM Paul-Antwerp wrote:

Hey,

Then you should see our crop of this summer.

We had a record summer with the highest average temperature since they kept data, that is since 1835. This of course is reflected in the quality of our diamonds. True collector's pieces, I should say.

Truly, if you really want an exquisite diamond, you should definitely take one cut in Belgium in 2003.

And this winter, we are going to cut in our greenhouse, just to be sure that you get the best possible quality.

Live long,

Paul----------------

BWAAHAAA HAA HAAAA!!! Thanks for the morning laugh! Still giggling.

glitz&glam

Rough_Rock
That's the silliest thing we've ever heard. PLEASE don't buy from the vendor that told you that nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results