shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvovals

Rough_Rock
I''m a lurker of several years. I rarely post but love to oggle everyone''s rocks and read the informative discussions. I''ve been having some problems with my engagement ring and wondered if anyone had suggestions. I have a very simple 5 stone setting with 4 round 15 pointers and a smaill half carat oval in the center. I''ve only had the ring 3 years and have had stones fall out 3-4 times. I found the stones except for the last time when I had to replace one of my 15 pointers. I went with a supposed local reputable jeweler with a 30+ year history in my city. After I lost the last stone and took it in, I was very upset with the way I was treated by this "reputable jeweler". Instead of coming to speak to me, he instead kept a running commentary about how there was nothing wrong with the ring, they don''t come with life time warranties, etc... I only wanted him to come and discuss what options I may have to fix it. My husband and i have been tlaking about upgrading my middle stone to something larger but I want to get the band problem remedied before moving on to that. This jeweler also said he would "allow" me to get a larger stone with only 4 prongs for the center stone. My mother has had her oval set with 4 prongs going on 31 years and has never had a problem. I don''t like being told I can''t have my ring the way I want it. I never plan on using this jeweler again.

My band is 18kt white gold and I''ve figured that is also what the prongs are made of and that''s probably why I''m having problems. I admit I''m rough on my hands but come on. I was wondering if there was any way to only replace what I call the head (the section with all the prongs) with one made of platinum but keep the band white gold. I really don''t want platinum. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
I am sorry to hear about your problem. Without seeing the ring it is difficult to assess what the situation is.

What I can say is that ALL metals, be their 18ct gold (white or yellow or rose) or platinum wear with use which is why we provide free regular servicing to all our clients. This means that we advise our clients to come back every 6-12 months (or sooner if they notice that a claw has become loose) for us to check that the diamonds are still secure and restore the lustre of the metal like new (with 18ct white gold we re-rhodiate it to restore the whiteness and with platinum we re-polish to remove the grey dull patina that develops with time). If a client comes back for regular servicing then we are able to guarantee their rings for life whether they are in 18ct white/yellow/rose gold or platinum.

Without knowing more about how you wear your ring or seeing your ring in person I can only speculate on what the problem/likely solution could be but situations where rings receive more/wear tear that I have seen are:
a) if the ring is loose so that it spins so that the diamonds get knocked more (as all rings get more wear/tear at the back than the front) - if this is the problem then getting a tigher fit to avoid spin would be a good solution
b) if you are left-handed (assuming that you wear the ring on the left-hand) so that it receives more wear/tear.

Just a word of caution re. getting your ring re-made: the cost of handcrafting the ring is likely to a significant proportion to the price you iniitially paid if my guess is right that your initial ring was a cast or ready-made ring rather than handmade.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Have you had any luck with getting this respolved?

Another factor that can cause rings to wear away quicker is if you wear other diamond rings next to this one especially if the diamonds on adcacent rinsg rub against each other.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results