shape
carat
color
clarity

Back from Greece!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to Greece with 40 high school students, six other chaperones, and one brave couple who wanted to join us for their 30th wedding anniversary.

The trip was incredible. We stayed on land for seven nights, and went on a four night cruise, and we saw so many incredible sights. I came home and slept for 24 hours straight, I was so exhausted.

In Athens, we visited the new Olympic stadium, and the Acropolis (the Parthenon was so incredible in person). Then we went to Delphi, which was not only beautiful but so very cool. We visited Mykonos, which is breathtakingly beautiful. Then we went to Patmos to visit St. John''s grotto and monastery, which was intense because the grotto is where St. John wrote the Book of Revelations. We went into Kusadasi, Turkey, to see the ruins of Ancient Ephesus which were really incredible. Rhodes was so neat, the town is very old and I happened to meet a Holocaust survivor in the synagogue. He told me his story and we cried together. We visited the ruins of Knossos on the island of Heraklion. The island of Santorini was breathtakingly beautiful, and I had the best hour of the trip sitting in a cafe with a frappe and some ice cream overlooking the Aegean. We then went back on land and visited Epidavros, Mycanae, and Argolida. The town of Epidavros was my favorite, it was so small and beautiful. We stayed in Pylos for a night, which was also beautiful, and visited Nestor''s Palace the next day. Then we went to ancient Olympia and the kids got to run up and down the Olympic stadium, which was so very cool.

I''m sure I''m missing a lot of details, but overall it was an incredible trip.

I want to share some of my pictures with PS. I took 1,000 photos (on the dot) but can only post the images without any students in them, so here are the best shots of what I can share.

Here''s the Parthenon peeking out over Athens:

PS - 08.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
A view of Athens from the Acropolis:

PS - 09.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this shot of the Greek flag, from the top of the Acropolis:

PS - 10aaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even the graffiti looked great in Athens!

PSsssss - 11.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved the way this building looked. There was a very old man sitting with a tiny kitten on the stoop behind the car. We lost all of our girls when we walked by, they sat and cuddled the kitty for a while.

PSSSSSS12.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Running Man statue in downtown Athens:

PS - 13aaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
A view from Delphi:

PS - 14aaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another ship, on our way to Mykonos:

PS - 15aaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Calamari, anyone? Mykonos:

PS - 16aaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just thought they looked so cool:

PS - 17aaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably the most often photographed church on Mykonos. We took some great group shots in front of it.

PS - 18aaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty plant in front of the white stones:

PS - 19aaaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Greek pride, Mykonos:

PS - 20aaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everything was so pretty on Mykonos, even the cafe signs. And this one was in English!

PS - 21aaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
On Mykonos:

PS - 22aaaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can still hear the tide . . .

PS - 23aaaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t realize how many of my great shots came from Mykonos. It truly is a beautiful island.

PS - 24aaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Petal-lined streets. Sigh.

PS - 25aaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Still Mykonos. I love boats.

PS - 26.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the last shot from Mykonos. I love the way these tables were set up to face the street.

PS - 27aaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ancient Ephesus, Kusadasi, Turkey. Look at that detail.

PS - 28aaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ancient Ephesus

PS - 29aaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty plant.

PS - 30aaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the island of Patmos, outside St. John''s grotto. The most moving part of the entire trip, for me, other than meeting a holocaust survivor in Rhodes.

PS - 31aaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Patmos

PS - 32aaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhodes. The number tatto on Sammy Modiani''s arm, the last living Holocaust survivor from Rhodes. He was in the synagogue connected to the Jewish Heritage Museum when I happened to stop in, and when he found out I was Jewish he sat down and told me his story. It was incredible.

PS - 33aaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the way into the synagogue--the entire ground pattern was created using stones. Stones!

PS - 34aaaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the cruise, "formal night". This is my colleague and dear friend. Our colleagues always confuse us for each other at work, although I don't think we look at all alike. I'm on the left.

PS - 35aaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, Santorini. The most beautiful island with the most wretched way up--donkey rides. I let the students convince me to take a donkey up instead of the cable car. Big mistake. Let''s just say a winding path, steep cliff with very short guard stone, and poor donkeys being forced to carry my big you-know-what don''t mix to equal a nice ride.

Oh--and my friend and I were late getting off the island, so we had to walk down the VERY long, steep, donkey poop-filled path to get to the tender boats because the line for the cable cars was too long. The experience still didn''t ruin my memories of Santorini.

PS - 36aaaaaaaa.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
A view of Santorini.

PS - 37aaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results