shape
carat
color
clarity

I never thought I''d have this problem ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies! I''m just hoping you can calm my nerves a bit.

I went to my bridal salon on Saturday to try on my dress and veil, which came in last month! The great news is that the dress is as gorgeous as I''d remembered - fantastic detailing, swoopy, light and fun. But when I put it on, the dress was at least 1, and maybe 2, sizes too big. We ordered it in February based on my measurements then, so while I''m positively thrilled that I''ve obviously trimmed up quite a bit, I''m also a bit worried what the dress will look like in October.

We''re not doing any fittings until August, and I plan to lose more weight by then. The salon owner told me that the dress needs to be taken in at least 2 inches at the bust, and obviously the length needs to be trimmed quite a bit and the bodice needs to be more fitted.

I''m just really worried how it''s going to turn out. The dress was meant to be a drop waist, very fitted through the drop, and then flare to a flowy A-line. I''m looking at the pictures of me in it on Saturday and it just kind of hangs on me. It doesn''t look like anything spectacular, certainly not a designer dress, and I''m just second-guessing myself AGAIN
38.gif

Will you please let me know if you''ve had an experience like this? I really can''t afford dress #3! It''s just, I''ve been looking at all of you in your beautiful dresses at your fittings, and you all just look so much more put-together and ready to go than me. I feel in looking at the pictures that I''m just wearing an ivory dress with nothing special at all.

Thanks in advance ladies!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
we ordered the smallest size but my dress needed to be taken in a lot too. and it was a dropped waist. everything worked out just fine.

i''m sure everything will be fine. the seamstresses know what they are doing. they''ll be able to take it in and it will fit you like a glove!

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
It''ll be fine... a good seamstress will be able to fix it with no problems. When I bought my dress I literally walked into the store and pointed to it (it was hanging outside a dressing room) and said "that''s it... that''s the one I want". I just knew at first sight that it was "the one". It was from a couple of seasons ago and the store was trying to get rid of it but it couldn''t have been closer to the dream dress I had in my head. I did get a great deal on it (it was originally $1200 and I got it for $300!!!!!)

But... there was one "small" problem.... it was a size 14 and I''m a (very small chested) size 6. I used the store''s seamstress (wanted to make sure I went with someone who knew how to work on a wedding dress) and my dress fit me perfectly. It was all lace with a beading which made me worried it would be hard to alter but it turned out great. The important thing is to let an expert deal with it... they fix wedding dresses every day.

Good luck... and relax
1.gif

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both for weighing in. I already feel a little better now! It was such a shock - I was actually worried that it would be too small for me. That just shows you how our body perceptions can be really skewed!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m nervous about this too. My dress is all layered mesh, the bottom layer is pleated and the top is beaded. They measured me and my measurements fit EXACTLY with the size chart, yet my dress is at LEAST a size too big and absolutely huge in the waist. It really doesn''t make sense. I''m really nervous about them being able to take it in--my mom, a talented hobbyist seamstress, took a look at it and said "I have NO idea how they''d be able to take this in!"
32.gif

I hope it works out okay for you! If it''s not too detail-heavy it should be no problem at all.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Musey, funny you should say that - it''s actually quite detailed and that''s part of what''s freaking me out! The skirt is given volume by tons and tons of little silk chiffon pleats, and there is a lot of intricate lacework on the bodice.
6.gif

I think I may post pics to get your opinions. Just bear in mind that they aren''t as flattering as I''d like!

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, here is IMO the best pic of the dress. I''m pulling it tight in back, which is why it looks reasonably fitted. I still think the drop-waist bodice is too long, and obviously the skirt needs to be taken up a lot. I love the dress itself, though!

June14weekend 032.jpg

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the back view. Great lines, just a bit overwhelming in its current state, and could be more flattering.

June14weekend 029.jpg

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
I think this shot really shows it just hanging on me, not really doing anything for my figure.

So I think I would tighten the bodice, raise the drop waist as it''s too low currently, and try to lose quite a bit of the excess length (I''m wearing 4" heels in this and you can''t even tell!) but keep the flowy pouf of the skirt.

June14weekend 031.jpg

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Just for comparison, here is the too-small sample that I tried on this winter.

I have had nothing but a positive experience with the bridal salon and I have so much faith in them -- I''m just probably overreacting because I didn''t expect to have this problem, and it''s my second dress!!

PSComparison.JPG

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
Krissie, it looks like alterations could solve your problems. At the shop I worked at, we had this miracle worker seamstress. She was a goddess! Example: we had a customer who had bought her dress at least in the early 90s (perhaps even the 80s) from this same shop, when she was a size 6. I don''t know what happened to the first wedding, but it was around 2001 when she came in with it and she was at least a size 14. I don''t know how she did it, besides adding fabric, but that dress was gorgeous when our seamstress was done with it. Unfortunately, I don''t know where she is now as the shop has closed.
7.gif
But, I just wanted to let you know that these seamstresses can be amazing, so don''t worry and see what they say.
37.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like we have a similar problem! I''ll be going in for my fittings starting in august, too, so I''ll try to remember to post progress. I''ll be following your dress story closely
2.gif

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 1:19:54 PM
Author: Amandine
Krissie, it looks like alterations could solve your problems. At the shop I worked at, we had this miracle worker seamstress. She was a goddess! Example: we had a customer who had bought her dress at least in the early 90s (perhaps even the 80s) from this same shop, when she was a size 6. I don''t know what happened to the first wedding, but it was around 2001 when she came in with it and she was at least a size 14. I don''t know how she did it, besides adding fabric, but that dress was gorgeous when our seamstress was done with it. Unfortunately, I don''t know where she is now as the shop has closed.
7.gif
But, I just wanted to let you know that these seamstresses can be amazing, so don''t worry and see what they say.
37.gif
Thanks Amandine! My friend used to own a wedding shop, and she said the only thing that would give her pause is the little pleats on the skirt - she said it would be pretty labor intensive to cut off length and then have the pleats match up again, but she said it could definitely be done.

Also, the beaded waistband is an addition - it''s just a separate beaded belt that I would put on for the wedding day (obviously measured to my waist) so working on the bodice won''t be as tough as she initially thought.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 1:31:55 PM
Author: musey
It sounds like we have a similar problem! I''ll be going in for my fittings starting in august, too, so I''ll try to remember to post progress. I''ll be following your dress story closely
2.gif
Thanks Musey - I''ll follow yours as well. I remember your dress - it''s gorgeous!!

I''m so sorry you were feeling stressed! obviously I know exactly how you feel right now! But honestly, I think it is SO lovely and looks great on you. I think in your case alterations can definitely ensure that it will fit nicely and still maintain the drop waist.

And btw, congrats on losing lots of weight! You look great!!!

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 7:36:03 PM
Author: Future Mrs Polka Dot
I''m so sorry you were feeling stressed! obviously I know exactly how you feel right now! But honestly, I think it is SO lovely and looks great on you. I think in your case alterations can definitely ensure that it will fit nicely and still maintain the drop waist.

And btw, congrats on losing lots of weight! You look great!!!
Aw thanks! And congrats to you for finding a new dress so quickly - it''s gorgeous!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry, it''ll work out! I share your worries. I ordered my dress in January and I''ve already lost 2 inches in the bust and 3 in the waist..so I know my dress is too big.
7.gif
Oh well, hopefully it''ll look decent on me for now, but it will work out! My salon told me they could take it in multiple sizes down, they told me to try to not lose more than like 50 lbs. From the looks of you in your dress photos, I seriously doubt you need to lose 50 lbs!
5.gif
So I think you''re good. Your dress is gorgeous, by the way.
30.gif

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! And congrats on your weight loss - that''s fantastic!

I saw the most gorgeous POB dress on Sunday and now I can''t stop thinking about it. SIGH. Just can''t be a 3-dress bride!!!

Date: 6/18/2008 7:39:02 AM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Don''t worry, it''ll work out! I share your worries. I ordered my dress in January and I''ve already lost 2 inches in the bust and 3 in the waist..so I know my dress is too big.
7.gif
Oh well, hopefully it''ll look decent on me for now, but it will work out! My salon told me they could take it in multiple sizes down, they told me to try to not lose more than like 50 lbs. From the looks of you in your dress photos, I seriously doubt you need to lose 50 lbs!
5.gif
So I think you''re good. Your dress is gorgeous, by the way.
30.gif

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Just want to pop in and say you really don''t need to worry.

I do a lot of sewing and alterations and even worked in the alterations department of a bridal shop for a summer while in college and really 1-2 sizes too big is more normal than you think. A seamstress would much rather take a dress in 2 sizes than try to let it out that much.

I think when they take in the bust and bodice that may bring the whole dress up a little and it doesn''t look to me that doing that should be too hard. The length should not be a problem either. It may take a little more work but an experienced seamstress shouldn''t have any problem giving you exactly what you want. Try not to worry I''m sure everything will be fine.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I thought you were looking super slim in that last pic I saw of you in your invitation thread! You look awesome! I really wouldn''t worry about it. I would never have believed the miracles theses places can do with alterations until I started seeing the cahnges in my own gown! Look at it this way...it''s a heck of a lot better than having it be way too small! You are going to look perfect!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
you look gorgeous krissie!!! I love that dress!

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 10:14:48 AM
Author: KCCutie
Just want to pop in and say you really don''t need to worry.

I do a lot of sewing and alterations and even worked in the alterations department of a bridal shop for a summer while in college and really 1-2 sizes too big is more normal than you think. A seamstress would much rather take a dress in 2 sizes than try to let it out that much.

I think when they take in the bust and bodice that may bring the whole dress up a little and it doesn''t look to me that doing that should be too hard. The length should not be a problem either. It may take a little more work but an experienced seamstress shouldn''t have any problem giving you exactly what you want. Try not to worry I''m sure everything will be fine.
Thank you for weighing in, KCCutie! I am feeling a lot better about things!

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 12:05:04 PM
Author: FacetFire
I thought you were looking super slim in that last pic I saw of you in your invitation thread! You look awesome! I really wouldn''t worry about it. I would never have believed the miracles theses places can do with alterations until I started seeing the cahnges in my own gown! Look at it this way...it''s a heck of a lot better than having it be way too small! You are going to look perfect!
Hey sweetie! Thanks so much :) I''m really trying hard, though I''ve been fighting a losing game in terms of food lately! We are going back to Indiana for a week in July for our tastings, and I can''t even imagine what that will do to my diet
39.gif

ARE YOU SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS WEEKEND?????!!!!!
9.gif

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 12:18:53 PM
Author: CrownJewel
you look gorgeous krissie!!! I love that dress!
Aw, thanks CrownJewel! I don''t know if all brides feel this way, but I feel like the pics don''t do it justice! In person it''s just lovely.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
oh sweetie mine was three sizes too big in some places, more in others. It was taken in about 6" in some places. It had beading too and a weird pattern on bottom. Turned out fab! These people are pro''s. It''ll be great. I just posted pictures of the vow renewal if you wanna look at the dress. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results