shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stones look very dark to me... could be photography

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you will be considering an ebay purchase, my advice is to make sure that the seller has great feedback and a good return policy (often they accept returns only if an item is misrepresented. But what if you just plain don''t like it?), then verify the return policy with the seller via email just to cover all your bases. Make it clear that you expect an inspection period (3 days is reasonable) within which to confirm specs with a jeweler or appraiser, with unconditional refund in case you don''t like the item or you find it has been misrepresented.

There are some wonderful deals to be had on eBay, but one must proceed with extra caution.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Good advice Ericad. Ditto! The key is their return policy!

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry if another poster said it already but they look to be selling "new" antiques.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
It''s a bit overpriced, but if you like it I guess it''s a question of if you think the price is good. That seller has been around on eBay for quite awhile and they do get some attractive (but pricey IMO) listings.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
When you look at the side view picture, you can see black inclusions. I''d look elsewhere.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Be very careful. Check them out with Toolhaus. And remember there are good sellers on Ebay and bad ones. Also it is possible for a seller to answer questions "correctly" and politely and claim a return policy then go back on their word. Paypal will not necessarily protect you if you get ripped off no matter how much proof you have. I would get a professional third party opinion and know that this method of buying has risks. This is not to say that there are not some great sellers though. By the way what type of ring are you looking for?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Emily,

I buy a lot of my antique jewelry online, and from eBay sometimes also (mostly from power sellers, not random private individuals selling one-offs).

I watch this particular seller on a regular basis and have even scoped out that very ring! lol

However, I have never bought from this seller because I feel that (as an earlier poster mentioned), they are pricey. IMO, there are better deals to be had elsewhere.

Although if you love, love, love this ring, go for it... as long as they have a solid return policy (I didn't check). Then when you receive it, get it appraised by someone who is familiar with pieces of this type.

Good luck!

Anne

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the ring and think the style of it is lovely. I do NOT like their return policy. AT ALL.

"We guarantee our items to be as described and accept returns only if misdescribed." Nope. That means its at their discertion and questions will be asked.

If you are seriously considering it as them for MAGNIFIED close up shots of all the stones.

I''m not loving their feedback though, so it would make me very wary. I wouldn''t buy from them, personally. But do really like the ring. At the very least magnified clear shots of all the diamonds would be a necessity before even considering this purchase.

enelson

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a ring for about $2000. I like vintage and solitaires. I am torn between what to buy. I have never heard of Toolhause.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Toolhaus.org is a site where you can plug in an ebayers user ID(their screen seller name) and it shows you all the negative and neutral feedbacks-I think it even shows ones that have been withdrawn. It is quick and to the point so you don''t have to sort through pages of feedbacks. I just looked up this seller on the site and I would highly suggest you do the same to help you come to a decision. I love vintage stuff too. You might want to check out singlestone.com. Their stuff looks really nice and I have heard good things about them here.

Also you could maybe start a post that has your budget and what you are looking for in the title to grab peoples attention and let the more (diamond clever) than I diamond experts help you find something awesome.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
OK I had not seen your previous posts. I just found your other posts-its sounds like you have already gotten some great advice and have some really nice options to choose from-Best luck!
1.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s quite pretty although the style isn''t the traditional filigree you think of as "antique". The stones do look like OEC and it looks like a real antique. If you love the style it could be a good find. I don''t think it''s over priced for platinum. I have a smaller OEC that is set in Edwardian WG and it was close to the same price. I got mine from a jewelry store in SF.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Swingirl that the price seems okay. But would ABSOLUTELY require magnified CLEAR pics of each of those stones because the SI clarity could mean a badly peppered stone, or a clean stone. You just don't know. And since there is no information on the site about the eyecleanliness of the stones, just that SI designation (which could be SI3 if they are on an EGL system, which is an I1 on GIA) you would be stuck with it, cause it would be as represented.

Here are some other ones I found. All from reputable sellers.

http://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=2&cat_id=1

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-2194/ (I'd negotiate the price of this one down).

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I''ve bought antique diamond rings off ebay, it can be done... but one thing I never compromise on is the return policy; I have always made sure I have a week minimum to go get it appraised by an independant appraiser, and that I can return it even if I just don''t like it. Other thing is you don''t have any measurements given on this auction, and there are a heck of a lot of so-so to icky antique cuts out there... there are a LOT that are too deep or too shallow by a drastic amount, and just the simple dimensions can tell you that quickly. Even set, the seller should be able to provide the dimensions of the stones.

Personally, I''d pass. The price doesn''t seem incredibly outrageous (it''s somewhat high, but not terrible), and the seller is an established one, but I don''t like the minimal information or or the return policy.

My rules for buying antique jewelry on ebay are as follows:

-Established sellers w/ good feedback ONLY. A brick & mortar address is a big plus too.

-Make sure you can return it with no questions asked for enough time to....

-Get it appraised by an independant appraiser within the return period.

-Ask questions to get a feel for the seller- you want to buy from someone who is helpful and friendly, not rude.

-There must be enough info on the auction or the seller must provide enough info, like measurements of stones, good closeup pics, etc.

-Pay with a credit card. Then you have another avenue to go through to get your money back if everything goes horribly wrong.

-Make sure seller ships in a large-ish box, properly insured, with a return addy that doesn''t say "jewelry" "diamonds" or "please steal me I am expensive" etc.

I''d be more inclined to go with a loose stone from oldworlddiamonds.com, or singlestone.com or another reputable seller. I''ve bought from OWD myself and I really found the owner helpful... he went through a bunch of stones for me and was perfectly willing to tell me which were too deep, etc. Ari of SingleStone is really helpful too, and will reply via email (which OWD won''t, just call them).

enelson

Rough_Rock
Wow, I absolutely love both of these. I am definitely going to enter these in the running. Thanks for the information. I have never heard of that company before.

GemView

Shiny_Rock
I hope you don''t mind a different perspective. If that''s the ring you want, do follow the advice of those who have provided solid eBay tips for safe shopping -- like paying by credit card because PayPal isn''t the best protection (that''s a biggie).

Good feedback and return policy prerequisites aside, don''t let anyone put you off. My feeling is that if someone has experience with a specific seller and wants to raise a Red Flag, by all means they should. However, call me naive or call me American -- that whole innocent until proven guilty thing -- but I subscribe to the philosophy that most people want to earn a living, and you don''t get that far trying to earn a living over the Internet if you jilt customers. Ebay has its share of hucksters, but typically those are sellers with a short history and/or negative feedback. Moreover, feedback is mandatory -- and visible for all the world to see -- unlike reporting to a BBB regarding most B&M and Internet-based transactions. In addition, there have been feedback changes on Ebay wherein a seller is no longer permitted to leave a buyer negative feedback.

There was a time when sellers routinely refused to leave feedback until they received the kind of feedback they wanted from their buyers. That is no more. Now the onerous is on the seller to ensure they have a happy buyer because they no longer have the power of negative feedback to hang over buyers'' heads. So my suggestion is to look at the feedback, for that is where you will find answers to your questions (that, and communicating with the seller directly).
In terms of the photo, I would say that is actually one of the better photos I''ve seen on Ebay (most of your problems there are tied to inadequate descriptions and even poorer photos). And if what you are really after are opinions of how the ring looks, than I say it is gorgeous! As for the presence of an inclusion, that''s entirely personal preference given that 99 percent of all diamonds contain them.

In reality, if you take a diamond to two different labs it is not unheard of for something -- sometimes it''s the clarity, sometimes it''s the color -- to be graded differently. In theory, however, an SI1 is going to look like any other SI1 in terms of number and/or overall size of inclusions. If it is particularly "clean" -- and not just concealing its SI1 status around the edges of the stone -- my guess is that it is probably on the border between VS2 and SI1 (brought down by strict grading practices). What varies is the placement and type of inclusions (feathers vs. clouds vs. "carbon"). For example, I own an SI1 and my inclusions are rather central to the diamond but still eye clean to someone with 20/20 vision. Under a loupe there are some that are very obvious due to their position, and others that are not. The way I see it, better that inclusions be buried deep inside than near the exterior of the diamond. That''s because some types of inclusions create weak areas that may leave the diamond prone to chipping when combined with an unforeseen impact, and also when situated near an overly thin girdle. However, it is my guess that most would prefer their inclusions to ring the edges as opposed to directly below the table.

As for the grading, the presence of a visible inclusion in the photo doesn''t necessarily mean it has been graded incorrectly and/or will be obvious in person. A 10x loupe is the industry standard for grading clarity, but when photographing a small object like a ring upwards of 50x magnification is not unheard of. All of which is to say, this is just one of those things you have to see in person to decide on. The rest of us can only scare you -- and there would be some truth to such concerns -- but that is no reason to give up entirely if that''s what you really want and the return policy checks out.

Good luck!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results