shape
carat
color
clarity

CA Supreme Court Overturns Gay Marriage Ban

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
A couple of our friends let slip that they''ll be eloping this weekend, thanks to this!
36.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!! Great news!!
36.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Yay! About time!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
It''s about time.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Congrats to all same sex couples who will marry.
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Such wonderful news
9.gif
I wonder if this makes all those marriages back in ''04 legal again?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 8:25:10 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Such wonderful news
9.gif
I wonder if this makes all those marriages back in ''04 legal again?
I sure hope so!!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 8:25:10 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Such wonderful news
9.gif
I wonder if this makes all those marriages back in '04 legal again?
The lawyer who represented the City of San Francisco was asked that question on the news tonight.

He explained that any of the 2004 marriages would have been cancelled (sorry, I can't remember the actual word) due to the ruling back then, ie: those marriages would have been considered null and void.

So he said those couples would have to marry again...they expected a large rush on the licencing office once the decision was written into law.

I was so pleased to hear him explain that the Courts made it very clear that ALL citizens were entitled to a marriage ceremony. And that a civil union was not considered 'equal' in the eyes of the court.

I am so pleased to hear this news. It is about time.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Good deal and about time, especially for this state!

I hope it stays this way.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY!!! I heard this earlier tonight and am thrilled. It''s time!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am also very happy to hear this. We have a Lesbian couple that live down the street from us. They are estactic tonight. They have been together for 20 years. We saw them walking their dog tonight and we had to go outside to tell them congratulations. FINALLY!!!!!

Linda

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if this means that Brad and Angelina will be publicly married now? After all, they did say that wouldn''t get married until and unless, anyone and everyone could be married. I am assuming they meant...in their geographical state.

The ironic thig is that my Dad was gay, but he didn''t believe in gay marriage. :::shakes head:::::
You had to understand my Dad...but then again...that was impossible.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I know most are really happy about this---and it is great for same sex couples, my good friends have been in a long turn relationship and are thrilled!!!! However, to be a 100% honest, I am not sure how I personally feel about the issue (being a fairly devout Catholic, and conservative) ...

As a resident of California, I am watching the turn of events closely....

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/15/2008 10:39:17 PM
Author: Linda W
I am also very happy to hear this. We have a Lesbian couple that live down the street from us. They are estactic tonight. They have been together for 20 years. We saw them walking their dog tonight and we had to go outside to tell them congratulations. FINALLY!!!!!

Linda

I never understood the "defense of marriage" folks who claim that the married gay couple down the street somehow threatens their own marriage. I''m glad that couple you know can now get married if they choose to.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
I think it was hilarious when Schwarzeneggar said something like "I think gay marriage should be between a man and a woman."

Or was it Bush??

Same difference.

About time, really!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I never understood exactly how pressing the gay marriage issue was until I got married myself. The social and legal privileges of marriage are something that every couple should be able to have; not just some.

Yay for Cali! I just wonder how many years it will take for all the other states to follow...
15.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 12:33:38 AM
Author: miraclesrule
I wonder if this means that Brad and Angelina will be publicly married now? After all, they did say that wouldn''t get married until and unless, anyone and everyone could be married. I am assuming they meant...in their geographical state.
Except that now they''re living in France
3.gif
that crazy couple! (Is it legal in France?)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Wait, they left New Orleans?

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 11:04:28 AM
Author: lisa1.01fvs1
I think it was hilarious when Schwarzeneggar said something like ''I think gay marriage should be between a man and a woman.''

Or was it Bush??

Same difference.

About time, really!
Yeah, but I''m going to give the man props (Schwarzeneggar) for saying he will respect the ruling and does not support changing the state Constitution in order to invalidate it.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I also give props to Schwarzeneggar with regard to respecting the ruling (and I am actually a fan of him)...but know there will be a fight in the coming months....Like I said before, for me, it is a conflicting issue, one whose outcome really has no effect on me personally.

And I am not one of the "defense of marriage folks" who thinks it would somehow change the validity of my marriage...FYI

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
UH cheifneil what are you talking about????? This couple has been wanting to get married for the past 20 years. We know them very well, they are friends of ours.

Linda

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2008 12:04:27 PM
Author: musey
Date: 5/16/2008 12:33:38 AM

Author: miraclesrule

Except that now they''re living in France
3.gif
that crazy couple! (Is it legal in France?)

I''m pretty sure that it''s legal in France. And in the UK where I live!! Except that we call it a marriage for heterosexual couples and civil union for homosexual couples. The only difference is in titles, not the rights involved. I really don''t understand why the different titles but whatever floats people''s boats as long as it''s equal.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I am so happy. My parents are lawyers and they say where CA goes, the rest of the nation goes. I mean really, if South Africa can do it, how is it that we can''t?

This will be one of those issues like "mixed marriages" or the women''s vote where the next generation will look back and go, "well, duh".

It really helps restore my faith in humanity. My great uncle is gay. He and his partner have been together for 20 years. I think them marrying might strengthen marriage in a time where divorce is so common and I think it is a credit to my own marriage.

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 2:40:32 PM
Author: Linda W
UH cheifneil what are you talking about????? This couple has been wanting to get married for the past 20 years. We know them very well, they are friends of ours.

Linda

Oh, I didn''t mean you Linda. Sorry for the confusion. I was talking in general about the people who have been passing these "defense of marriage" bills all over the country. They always claim that gay marriage threatens the institution of marriage.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
chefniel,

Sorry for my confusion too, LOL. I thought you were were referring to us being friends with them. ha ha ha.

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results