shape
carat
color
clarity

Embarrassing Questions ... bikini wax?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to New England in July and am considering waxing since we will be at the beach every day. I''m kind of confused about them though. Is a bikini wax where they wax the whole thing? Is there a difference between a bikini wax and a Brazilian wax? I don''t think I''m brave enough for the whole thing so I was going to just do the edges... what is that called?

... this is so embarrassing and awkward

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes a bikini wax is just the sides. Brazilian means...undersides.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
A Brazilian leaves you a landing strip and not much else. It is good if you are a Vegas showgirl, but not really needed just to put on a normal swimsuit and go to the beach.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''ll be fine! I know it is a daunting experience for a novice, but once it''s over with you''ll be asking yourself why you never did it before. do a trim on your own first...cut your hairs down to a half inch. You will be fine! Prepare the day of by swallowing a couple ibuprofen about twenty minutes before the waxing.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, it can hurt but advil helps. try not to wax during your menstrual cycle as it makes it really painful according to the waxers...

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
From my waxing adventures, a bikini wax narrows the hair in front to prevent anything from peeking past the edges of the bikini.

However, a brazilian is the whole shebang, including the undercarriage all the way to the caboose. Aka you''re as bare as the day you arrived in the world.

I have never been able to bring myself to ask some poor esthetician to wax the caboose portion of the undercarriage
40.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
a brazilian usually leaves a little. not much, but something. a bit extreme for most people, I just like to be able to wear a swimsuit and not be self conscious.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies! I''ll definitely take some pain meds before I go! Should I go to a cheapie nail salon for a bikini wax or should I spend more to go to a salon/spa? I know the service would be better at the nicer spa but everytime I''ve had my eyebrows waxed at that sort of place, they didn''t do a very good job. I feel like the cheapie places do a better job of taking off the hair. Maybe its just the places I''ve been to...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
trim first, which helps the hair come out easier, but I would still go to a nicer place as the type of wax they use can vary. It is not horrible but it is not pleasant either. I do it but must admit I do dread it a bit.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you find you like the convenience of not having to shave, I say laser! It hurts less than a bikini wax (in my opinon...although the first visit is the most painful). I have not had to shave in 5 years.

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 2:28:14 AM
Author: TravelingGal
If you find you like the convenience of not having to shave, I say laser! It hurts less than a bikini wax (in my opinon...although the first visit is the most painful). I have not had to shave in 5 years.

Oh now this is something that I have always wanted to do! I don''t know anyone that has done it though, which seems strange. It''s not that expensive and you don''t have to go every four-six weeks for upkeep. Maybe everyone is as lazy as I am in actually getting it done?

How many times did you have to go before it stopped growing back in T-Gal?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy crap, I would say do not scrimp on cost for your first waxing experience. Do not just go to the first "wax friendly" shop on the side of the street, make an appointment at a well-reputed salon and do it there for your first time. No reason to leave your privates in the hands of god knows who.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 2:42:54 AM
Author: monarch64
Holy crap, I would say do not scrimp on cost for your first waxing experience. Do not just go to the first ''wax friendly'' shop on the side of the street, make an appointment at a well-reputed salon and do it there for your first time. No reason to leave your privates in the hands of god knows who.
Haha alright! I normally go to the same two inexpensive places for my nails and eyebrow waxing. They always do a really good job on the eyebrows but their english is very limited so I guess I really shouldn''t risk the language barrier on something like this.

I would LOVE laser hair removal but I think its out of my price range right now... isn''t it $100-$200 per treatment? or more? It''s definitely on my "to-do" list for later though... especially my underarms!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 2:42:24 AM
Author: PrettyBlues

Date: 5/9/2008 2:28:14 AM
Author: TravelingGal

Oh now this is something that I have always wanted to do! I don't know anyone that has done it though, which seems strange. It's not that expensive and you don't have to go every four-six weeks for upkeep. Maybe everyone is as lazy as I am in actually getting it done?

How many times did you have to go before it stopped growing back in T-Gal?
6 times...I did 7 for good measure. Totally worth it. The price of waxing adds up!

5 years ago it cost me 120 per pop...price varies whether you go to a "technician", RN or a doc. I went to a RN.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG, does it just never come back in then?

Definitely sounds worth investigating!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 3:09:31 AM
Author: diamondfan
TG, does it just never come back in then?

Definitely sounds worth investigating!
It has not for me. I mean, I get strays here and there (easy to pluck), but over all it''s still bare.

I was the perfect candidate though...the fairer skinned you are and darker and coarser your hair, the better chances you have. Some people will just laser anyone, even if the prognosis is not good. My RN would turn people away saying most likely it would not work well.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am fair, with lighter hair on my arms, but it is darker elsewhere. I know they put a gel on your skin and then use a laser light thing, right? I am not a super wimp but constant pain over a period of time is not a fun thought!

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Oooh I have very fair skin and my bikini hair is definitely dark so that is good news
36.gif
Did you do your armpits as well?

I''ve heard the actual process doesn''t take very long, 5 to 10 minutes?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
yup. The smell of the burning is probably the most disconcerting part. I didn''t find it that painful, but I have a high tolerance for pain. After the 3rd treatment or so, it really doesn''t hurt at all because there is way less hair there.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I have been getting brazilians for years and I love it...its just so smooth. Defintiely go to a higher end salon, worth the extra money, and they will have better waxes too. My first time I thought it would be so much more painful than it actually was. Also they will be a little more gentler your first time too. Plan to get it two days before your trip, so you don''t get too much sun exposure there.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to say that laser is amazing!

I had it done on several areas and I love it. Over time you may develop new hair growth so you may need to go back for maintenance, but overall it''s been extremely effective for me. I have pale skin and dark hair so I''m a perfect candidate for it, too.

It hurts a bit, but the actual procedure doesn''t take long, depends on the area. It does smell like burning which isn''t the most pleasant smell, but it''s not unbearable. I went in once after a man just had his entire back done and THAT smelled bad.

I saw a technician at my dermatologists office. I know many salons offer laser as well, but I was more comfortable sticking to someone my doctor recommended.

The cost is worth every penny.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
If you can wait till you''re here, I''ve got the BEST waxer in Boston!! I highly highly recommend Rina at Salon Trio - she seriously makes it an unpleasant thing a pleasant experience!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Ella, what does that cost? I''ve never tried waxing, but you ladies are very persuasive.

ps,they just opened an Orinoco down the block from me, I think we''ll try it this weekend!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
I get the Brazilian (sorry if TMI. I just figure if you''re taking it off, then take it ALL off. To be honest, parts of the reg bikini area hurt more than the "undercarriage"), and I think it''s either $55 or $60?

(Ohhhh Orinoco! My brother may babysit the twins next week, and if he does, that''s where we''re going! Oh the arepa w/guayanese cheese is sooooooo good!)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I second going to a spa for the first bikini waxing. I did it for the first time two days before my wedding and I was REALLY freaked out.

I''m a plus-sized girl, and I was super uncomfortable about the "paper panties" (they give you these elastic and paper disposable panties to wear that are basically a triangle of paper on the front and a triangle on the back) - I figured they wouldn''t cover anything. They covered enough. At the spa, I was basically laying on a massage table and I had a nice warm blanket to wait under until the woman came in, and she only pulled away one side at a time - I never felt embarrassed or exposed. The waxer was also an older woman, which probably put me at ease. It did hurt, but no more than eyebrow waxing. Hurt for a second, then it was done. I got a normal bikini wax and it was great - totally lasted for the honeymoon, and I''ll definitely do it again next time we go on a week long beachy vacay.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
ella- Unfortunately I can''t wait until I get there... I''m going to be with my friend and her family so I''m kind of at their mercy the whole trip. Its a little dissapointing to not be able to do much that I want while I''m with them.

Maybe I should get one next week before the wedding since pretty much everyone says it really doesn''t hurt that bad... I can drag my friend with me and make her do it to for support!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never had a bikini wax, I always shave but it is sooo annoying. I will be in Alaska next month when my husband comes home from Afghanistan and he is going to meet me in Alaska for a long weekened. I decided that I am going to go for a full brazilian. I hardly ever drink but everyone I''ve asked about it said take a few tylenol and a shot of liquor before you go! Who would have thought I would need a DD to go to the salon
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. I''ve been contemplating MY first waxing. Another question. When getting the "regular" (not so much the landing strip or nacho chip), what do they wax off the top (like the start of the hairline)? How long does it last for those of you who have quick growing hair?

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Teeeheeeheeee. This thread makes me laugh because I''m preggo and can''t see "down there" any more so I''ve been contemplating my first wax. There is no way in heck DH is getting anywhere near my privates with anything sharp so this is what it''s come to.

Tell me ladies - how bad does it hurt? I don''t get my brows waxed so that comparison doesn''t work for me. Worse than pulling a band-aid (or tape) off your arm? I have yet to make an appointment because I don''t want to chicken out!
40.gif

Jess

appletini

Ideal_Rock
LOL! I've only had my eyebrows waxed twice, and for me that is more painful than a brazilian. Also for first timers, I would recommend leaving at least a strip b/c that strip area will probably be most sensitive.

I usually get a solid 10 days before I see any regrowth, and I get it done every 3-4 weeks. For you shavers, once you wax you will never go back to shaving.

I've never done the paper panties...what is the point? Oh and my lady will also pluck any strays, fix ingrowns, and trims what is left.

ETA: my spa is $55, but some of the other comprabable ones charge even more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results