shape
carat
color
clarity

Borrowing from Gypsy''s thread...Getting an MBA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
Disclaimer: I know this thread does not belong in BWW but Gypsy''s thread about law school got me thinking..people ae constantly talking about law school but you rarely hear people talk about getting an MBA on PS so I''m curious...

what are people''s thoughts on getting an MBA? Is it worth it? What about top ranked programs/moderately ranked programs? did you stay in your current job after graduating with your MBA or did you get a new one? if you got a new one, what are you doing now?

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in the process of applying, so I can answer a few questions:

-An MBA, especially at a top ranked school, can serve a few purposes:
-"Reset button" for a career change
-Way to make more $$ on a current career path
-Way to build and develop a powerful network
-Way to "brand" yourself
-Avenue for getting ahead at your current job (may or may not be necessary)
-Break from a hardcore job so you don''t get burned out =)

A lot of people use it to change careers/jobs. You will probably never be courted by as many diverse companies as you will coming out of a top MBA program.

My company, on the other hand, offers to pay for the full tuition if you come back for 2 years after. Is it worth giving up those recruiting opps for a $100K education? Everyone makes different choices...just a few things to think about...now gotta go, LOST is on!!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
If you love working in business, I think that an MBA opens a world of possibility that wouldn''t otherwise be available. Many folks I work with have gone on to get an MBA after a few years of experience under their belt and have been promoted more rapidly once they obtained their MBA. It is a great enhancement to bumping up your career options.

I have been considering it for some time now. I just suck at math, but excel in insurance finanace strategies, so that may help. I think it''s definately worth serious consideration. I personally prefer to live a debt free lifestyle, because I just deal well with the stress of debt hanging over me like a cloud. But if you can do it without incurring a great deal of debt, it''s worth it in my opinion.

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
MBA's seem to be an essential part of eduaction now. Remember when you couldn't get anywhere without a high school diploma, now you can't get anywhere (in buisness) without an MBA. Some how it makes up for a load of experience. It's like having a certification or license. Just an extra that people look for. Also, MBA's seem to get higher starting wages than just undergrads. I am going to get mine in accounting (because my undergrad was in marketing?) because I can finish it up in about a year. My university required more hours to graduate and the school I've chosen for my masters accepted all the credits. I'll start in fall of 2009 (because I am taking my GMAT this fall.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results