shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Gold .... the new BROWN......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pmptrading

Rough_Rock
Hello All,
I have just joined this forum and I love the group.....

I have noticed most people are going for white gold and platinum........

IS YELLOW GOLD DEAD????

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I just heard from a local jeweler that yellow gold is coming back in style. A lot of designers are making rings out of it again. It solves the old "platinum vs. white gold" dilemma.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps the staggering price increases in platinum are deterring some folks from that white metal, but you still have "the other white" metals gold/palladium. It seems like many prefer the white on white effect with well cut diamonds, which can look great up to J, sometimes even K, color stones up to ~2ct....nothing wrong with a little "warmth" in a diamond either.

If you like yellow gold, go for it! Trends are just that - trends, so enjoy what suits your eye.
emsmiled.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yellow gold is huge right now!! Look at the magazines... Most of what I have is plat or WG but am having fun adding yellow gold to my jewelry wardrobe. Buy what you love, not what the trend is. What looks best on you, etc....

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2008 10:49:01 PM
Author:pmptrading
Hello All,

IS YELLOW GOLD DEAD????
Nope!

I love yellow gold, and wear it 99% of the time.

Gary (DiamondExpert) said that many like the ''white on white'' effect of diamonds in white metals. Personally, I get really excited by the look of a really icy white diamond against the lovely yellow warmth of 18ct gold. To me, it makes the diamond look even whiter and icier... and I love the contrast.

I think this is one of the reasons why I enjoy looking at my ring from the side - to enjoy the view of the diamond amongsth the prongs... and so, probably why I chose a 4-claw setting.

What I REALLY love is 22ct or 24ct gold, such as you get in India, with it''s incredible depth of colour.... yummy. :)

x x x

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I love yellow gold. And as you know I just purchased a ring in a lovely warm yellowy shade of rose gold. I think both are classy and pretty.
My ering is white gold, but I think yellow and rose go better with my colouring. As the others have said, its all about what the individual likes and what suits them, their style and tastes.
I think, maybe apart from a pendant, I will prefer most of my jewellery in coloured metals now. That said, I really love and appreciate many of the gleaming white metal rings on PS. I guess because I am fond of the "warmth" present in I/J colour diamonds, then yellow and rose are a great compliment to this.

ETA: and PMP this is in no way supposed to be confronting, but I've noticed you have at quick count about 7 current threads going. May I suggest combining some of your topics, such as the US-Aus market, before starting a new thread? You will find that some threads here start off on one tip, then change and go in a whole different direction - these are often the most fun ones! The main reason is that creating so many new ones might knock someone else off to the 2nd or third page where they may not get the help they need.
You're prerogative of course, just thought I may draw it to your attention.
1.gif

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I''m seriously considering having my 10 yr upgrade reset into yellow gold. My center stone has a lower color, and I think it may look less noticeable in YG, and when I inquired recently at my local jeweler about replating it, the quote was $135!!!
23.gif
And I usually do mine every 6 months.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Hello All,

IS YELLOW GOLD DEAD????
I love yellow gold, but in certain lighting gold makes my skin appear gray
14.gif
. I think it is definitely making a comeback, and rose/pink/red gold is too.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 11:00:09 AM
Author: Love in Bloom

Hello All,

IS YELLOW GOLD DEAD????
I love yellow gold, but in certain lighting gold makes my skin appear gray
14.gif
. I think it is definitely making a comeback, and rose/pink/red gold is too.
Oooh LIB I love Red Gold! That was simliar to the look I was going for with my ring that was just finished. Very classic I think..

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 11:11:20 AM
Author: arjunajane

Oooh LIB I love Red Gold! That was simliar to the look I was going for with my ring that was just finished. Very classic I think..
Classic indeed...totally sweet too. I love your ring
2.gif
!

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 8:19:31 AM
I love yellow gold. And as you know I just purchased a ring in a lovely warm yellowy shade of rose gold. I think both are classy and pretty.
My ering is white gold, but I think yellow and rose go better with my colouring. As the others have said, its all about what the individual likes and what suits them, their style and tastes.
I think, maybe apart from a pendant, I will prefer most of my jewellery in coloured metals now. That said, I really love and appreciate many of the gleaming white metal rings on PS. I guess because I am fond of the ''warmth'' present in I/J colour diamonds, then yellow and rose are a great compliment to this.

ETA: and PMP this is in no way supposed to be confronting, but I''ve noticed you have at quick count about 7 current threads going. May I suggest combining some of your topics, such as the US-Aus market, before starting a new thread? You will find that some threads here start off on one tip, then change and go in a whole different direction - these are often the most fun ones! The main reason is that creating so many new ones might knock someone else off to the 2nd or third page where they may not get the help they need.
You''re prerogative of course, just thought I may draw it to your attention.
1.gif

I agree with you on this statement. Many people choose the "warmer" color diamonds because they say they like the warmer colors or that it compliments their skin tone. If this is the case, then yellow gold should be the way to go for those who prefer the warmth.

I think that there is a place for all metals in my jewelry wardrobe - I love them all!

jewelrychic1

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 4:29:37 AM
Author: Cleo

Hello All,

IS YELLOW GOLD DEAD????
Nope!

I love yellow gold, and wear it 99% of the time.

Gary (DiamondExpert) said that many like the ''white on white'' effect of diamonds in white metals. Personally, I get really excited by the look of a really icy white diamond against the lovely yellow warmth of 18ct gold. To me, it makes the diamond look even whiter and icier... and I love the contrast.

I think this is one of the reasons why I enjoy looking at my ring from the side - to enjoy the view of the diamond amongsth the prongs... and so, probably why I chose a 4-claw setting.

What I REALLY love is 22ct or 24ct gold, such as you get in India, with it''s incredible depth of colour.... yummy. :)

x x x
I love GOLD. I don''t wait for the media or jewelers to tell me what to wear. I have 22kt gold and 24kt as well. It''s just a warmer color on my skin. It looks good on any woman. I''ve been collecting it for years. I''ve seen this up and down of yellow gold and I am always complimented on it.

lotsofsparkle

Shiny_Rock
although my e-ring is platinum, most of my other everyday jewelry has always been mainly yellow gold.

Liberty Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
What I have noticed working in the Jewelry industry is that it depends on location and culture for those who still enjoy wearing yellow gold jewelry. Many clients from back East tell me how do you know it''s gold if it isn’0t yellow? As well certain cultures, such as Indian and Latino''s skin tone compliment the yellow metal. Though I have noticed within these cultures many of the younger couples go for the white metal. Most Europeans, older couples, and those married in the 80''s still sport their yellow gold jewelry, though many are experimenting with two-tone, or just rhodium plating their existing yellow gold to white. Though ultimately the White metals compliment diamonds better, and yellow gold can mask low colors.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 4:44:15 PM
Author: Liberty Diamonds
What I have noticed working in the Jewelry industry is that it depends on location and culture for those who still enjoy wearing yellow gold jewelry. Many clients from back East tell me how do you know it''s gold if it isn’0t yellow? As well certain cultures, such as Indian and Latino''s skin tone compliment the yellow metal. Though I have noticed within these cultures many of the younger couples go for the white metal. Most Europeans, older couples, and those married in the 80''s still sport their yellow gold jewelry, though many are experimenting with two-tone, or just rhodium plating their existing yellow gold to white. Though ultimately the White metals compliment diamonds better, and yellow gold can mask low colors.
I''m afraid I will have to disagree with you on that one! :)

x x x

Clio

Brilliant_Rock

Cleo, I agree! I love the look of diamonds against yellow gold. They seem to pop more. White diamonds in white metal is such a cold look to me.

I pretty much only wear yellow gold - I like the warmth and richness.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t like the way yellow gold looks on me so I never wear it. I do want to try rose gold though.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
ETA: and PMP this is in no way supposed to be confronting, but I''ve noticed you have at quick count about 7 current threads going. May I suggest combining some of your topics, such as the US-Aus market, before starting a new thread? You will find that some threads here start off on one tip, then change and go in a whole different direction - these are often the most fun ones! The main reason is that creating so many new ones might knock someone else off to the 2nd or third page where they may not get the help they need.
You''re prerogative of course, just thought I may draw it to your attention.

PMP, I''m sorry I don''t want to flog a dead horse so to say, but since I wrote this you''ve created 2 or 3 new threads..you now have I think 11 threads in RT alone since joining 3 days ago. Don''t get me wrong, I like your enthusiasm and you''re surely aloud as many as you like. My concern is, as mentioned, this could push down other people''s threads to page 2 or 3 where they won''t get seen and may be waiting for replies to important questions.
As suggested, instead of starting a new one everytime you have a new question, perhaps you can combine a couple of questions in one thread and go from there?
Thankyou!
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 11:21:20 AM
Author: Love in Bloom

Date: 4/12/2008 11:11:20 AM

Classic indeed...totally sweet too. I love your ring
2.gif
!
Thankyou sweety!
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 6:43:42 PM
Author: Clio

Cleo, I agree! I love the look of diamonds against yellow gold. They seem to pop more. White diamonds in white metal is such a cold look to me.

I pretty much only wear yellow gold - I like the warmth and richness.
I totally agree Clio and Cleo
5.gif
The whiteness of the diamond against the warmth of yellow or red/rose gold is a gorgeous combo.

And Legacy Girl - you should! I''m waiting for my RG ring right now, and its a really nice look. I have only seen pics from GOG so far but am very happy with the alloy of the gold.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
yellow gold is NOT dead !It is back and looking better then ever!i like formal dress diamond jewelry in plat or white gold but other jewelry like bangles or chains look great when made from yellow gold.I like the mixing of white and yellow gold togther .

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
It''s never going to be dead. It''s been valued by countless cultures for millennia. It''s not a color or an appearance.

Its relative lack of popularity is very recent and kind of bizarre. If I had to guess, I''d have to guess that this had something to do with marketing.
38.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s nothing I love more than a diamond ring setting with white claws/prongs and a yellow gold band... so rich, and the contrast is yummy! I wear only yellow gold. I have a couple of white gold pieces (ie. eternity band, diamond studs), bought only on the proviso than I can happily mix them into my yellow gold wardrobe!
9.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I am of course biased on this topic as I only wear yellow gold, ering is yg, wband will be ygold. I only wear white metal when it;''s cheap costume jewellery and then only very rarely (cheaper jewellery tends to look better in white metal, cheap ygold just looks wierd and tacky)

I understand that ygold is very rare in the US (I''m an Aussie where ygold is much more popular). I find this strange that people will chose white gold or plat even when ygold would compliment their skin tones better. I am all for being up with the trends, but I think it''s silly to pick a more ''popular'' metal when it just doesn''t work with your skin tone.

I tried tons of settings on in Melbourne, where the white metal craze is really starting to come along I think, and I just love the ygold and it really goes with my skin colour, wgold just looked strange. I was even in Tiffs trying in platinum rings and the SA said to me - wow, you are really a ygold woman aren''t you, it just looks right with your skin. The wgold look alright but that ygold ring just pops! Which was reassuring to me, if they were telling fibs they would be trying to sell me the more expensive platinum I guess.

autumnlala

Rough_Rock
White metal is definitely more trendy right now, especially for wedding rings, but I have seen some yellow creeping back in.

I have a friend who just had a ring made in a really lovely deep yellow gold, almost rose gold toned but not quite, she said the same thing as many of you, she liked the tone with her skin coloring. Another friend has a beautiful old cut stone in a thick yellow setting, it almost looks renaissance-y. The yellow gold looks beautiful with the kind of sparkle her old diamond produces, not the icy white of today.

And of course, my sisters who were married in the early 90s have yellow gold rings. I''ve always loved the antique (early 20th century) look, so I''m excited to have my engagement ring set in white gold. But I do wear some yellow gold, I particularly like it with pearls and sapphires, something so classic about those combinations.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love yellow gold, it has a nice rich look to it.

PapaSB

Rough_Rock
I was in two minds - i am a classic type guy and went for a yellow band with a platinum top. The platinum setting.

Took ages to find a good one, got there in the end...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My w-set is wg, but I just ordered a yellow sapphire stacking ring with yellow prongs so I can do more of a two-tone look with some yg jewelry that I've been wearing more often. These things just go in waves, I think - both my gmas have wg rings, my mom and most of her friends have yg, and then I have white gold (as do most of my friends). I doubt either will ever go "out."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results