shape
carat
color
clarity

Color or Clarity..... which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pmptrading

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am noticing amongs people I work with a strong desire to get the better COLOR ratings..... ie E F G

Is this also happening in America?

Personally I perfer a VS VVS stone with a lower color - I don''t go below J color.....
Personally I think G H I J are fine...... all nice white clear stones.......

Personally I prefer a VS2 I to a SI1 G ...... opinions please......

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion, cut is the most important, followed by color, then clarity. Having said that, I would go with a G/SI1 over an I/VS2 especially if I could go a little larger with the SI1. But then, cut trumps everything and if the I/VS2 had a better cut, that would win out.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
The most sought after color and clarity are G, SI1, hands down, in rounds from 0.5ct. to 5ct. followed by F and H color and VS2 clarity and then SI2 and VS1.

Rounds are by far (>50%) the most popular shape followed by Princess cut (~15%) and then, distantly, EC, Asscher, MQ, etc.

The most popular sizes are 1-1.25ct.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think you are correct that the average person knows little about diamonds, and many people have the perception that a high color is the most desirable aspect. Most people know nothing about cut until they come on PriceScope, myself included. My personal preference is for G-H color and VS clarity. You''ll find many here, however, who prefer a lower clarity because the drop in price allows them to get a larger stone.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm at a comfort level of H,VS2 and I'm trying to talk myself into H,S1, or even I or J, S1 (although I don't think I'm going to get to J). I think this is a very interesting topic. I'd be very interested to hear how others feel about it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Color is for me. As long as it's eyeclean and the inclusions don't pose a risk to the diamonds structural safety, I don't care what the clarity is rated. I don't believe in paying for what I can't see.

THAT SAID, I have an F VS1. But my diamond is PRE-Pricescope, and most importantly is an asscher. And trust me when we bought this diamond no one other than some savvy jewelers (and PSers!) had ever heard on an asscher. As it's a step cut, I would have probably ended up with a VS stone anyway, as step cuts show inclusions more readily, and if you find a beautiful fancy-- like an asscher-- you take what you can get as long as it's budget. I would now be very happy with an H VS2 asscher of the same size.

If I were getting a non-step cut stone though... SI, or if it were for earrings even eye clean I1's, would be fine for me. H-I would be ideal but J-K for ideal rounds in bexel settings. For fancies... I like some warmth so if I intentionally wanted a more vintage look, I'd even go to that low (K) for that as well for example in an OEC.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Cut is essential but for me I would go colour (D-F) and then clarity I am not opposed to an SI stone but both BF and I prefer the VS range, I would possibly in the future go lower but for me and the BF it is just a preference to go icy :)

rogeshoe57

Rough_Rock
I would choose color over clarity. In my opinion, I think you can see color more than clarity. Just as long as its eye clean and sound diamond, clarity shouldn't be much of an issue. Cut > Carat > Color > Clarity. The G SI1 sounds like a good balance and buy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results