shape
carat
color
clarity

Centerpiece Model

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
I need some suggestions here. It was more difficult than I thought to wrap lace around the crystal (property of country club). I have to use double sided tape. Even though I couldn't find the color ribbon I like at the store, I bought this pink/coral color. I hope when I get the desired color, that it will look better. I will be wrapping a couple layers of pearls around the bottom of the cylinder also.

Here's the desired centerpiece thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/centerpiece-ribbon-needs-to-match-this-color-rose.82172/

Here's the picture of the model with the wrong color ribbon and it's not perfect by any means.

ETA: There will be short pillar candles in these. Also, the ballroom will be pretty dim and the tables are very large. I will be putting these on top of round mirrors, random single pearls and rose petals on the mirror, and some square votive candle holders with the ribbon around the top also. Is this too difficult? Makes me want to go ahead and order these. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14742450

full view.jpg

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
With the ribbon I added to the inside so that you can''t see the double sided tape.

inside tape.jpg

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock

Maybe try hot glue instead of tape, or if it is too fast-setting, maybe try some double-sided removable glue dots (3M and the glue-dots people make them -- they''re clear and not as shiny as tape). Are you putting flowers or candles in these? I would be concerned about an inner ribbon if there will be candles...and if there will be flowers, i wouldn''t bother with the inner ribbon anyway.

Would it help if the lace was stiffer and more paper-like? You could try using spray starch or fusing it onto a backing... Making it stiffer might also help you to get a more finished edge on the top and bottom so you don''t have to worry about doing pearls unless you just want them for the look.

Don''t worry too much about a first trial run! You''ll figure out how to make it look great.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2008 3:48:23 PM
Author: enbcfsobe

Maybe try hot glue instead of tape, or if it is too fast-setting, maybe try some double-sided removable glue dots (3M and the glue-dots people make them -- they''re clear and not as shiny as tape). Are you putting flowers or candles in these? I would be concerned about an inner ribbon if there will be candles...and if there will be flowers, i wouldn''t bother with the inner ribbon anyway.

Would it help if the lace was stiffer and more paper-like? You could try using spray starch or fusing it onto a backing... Making it stiffer might also help you to get a more finished edge on the top and bottom so you don''t have to worry about doing pearls unless you just want them for the look.

Don''t worry too much about a first trial run! You''ll figure out how to make it look great.
I can''t use hot glue since it''s not my property. Maybe the glue dots would work. I would use small (short) pillar candles, so it wouldn''t burn anything.

Hmm..that''s a good idea about making the lace stiff.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
What if you just used a pearly vellum wrapped around them and then add the ribbon to the top? The lace looks difficult to work with and doesn''t give the same vibe as the inspiration picture. If you used the vellum, you could just attach it to the crystal near the bottom and then glue the ribbon to the top of it and probably won''t have to put ribbon inside to cover anything up.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
as far as stiff lace, I think they actually make a lacey vellum that would probably look really nice when backlit!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2008 4:24:40 PM
Author: oobiecoo
as far as stiff lace, I think they actually make a lacey vellum that would probably look really nice when backlit!
I did a search for lacey or pearly vellum and couldn''t find anything. How can I get an idea of what that looks like?

Erin

Ideal_Rock
That''s exactly what I was thinking. Buy some translucent paper... No lace.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock

Its what starset said... translucent paper and the pearl one just has a pearlized sheen to it. They sell it in the scrapbook aisle of hobby lobby if you have one. It's usually sold by the sheet.

I guess its pretty much the same as what they use for wedding invitation overlays.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
For some reason its absolutely refusing to let me post a link so you can see what it kind of looks like... this is weird

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2008 4:57:41 PM
Author: oobiecoo
For some reason its absolutely refusing to let me post a link so you can see what it kind of looks like... this is weird
Boooooooo

I hope it works!

Laurenj915

Shiny_Rock
They sell pearlized and regular vellum at Michael''s Crafts. It''s the Martha Stewart brand. I bought 10 rolls of it last week. It was on clearance at my local Michael''s for a dollar a roll (about the size of a roll of wrapping paper). I used a very light pink pearlized vellum for envelope liners.

Good luck!

sera

Ideal_Rock
So the inspirtation pic actually has lace?

I think the glue dots is a very good suggestion and would be much easier to work with that double-sided tape. The scrapbook stores even have "temporary" or "removable" glue dots.

The scrapbook stores also have lace-patterned vellum if you still want to lace look but find the vellum much easier to work with. Though, I would give the glue dots with lace a shot.

And definitely don't put anything on the inside unless you're using fake candles.

(ETA: I didn't notice the lacey vellum was already suggested; I had just noticed the pearly vellum.)

(EATA: Here is a link to some patterned vellum. There are lace-like ones and some with designs in pinks/corals. Unfortuneately, they don't have a larger view of the paper, but you get the idea of what's available.)

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2008 7:03:55 PM
Author: sera
So the inspirtation pic actually has lace?

I think the glue dots is a very good suggestion and would be much easier to work with that double-sided tape. The scrapbook stores even have ''temporary'' or ''removable'' glue dots.

The scrapbook stores also have lace-patterned vellum if you still want to lace look but find the vellum much easier to work with. Though, I would give the glue dots with lace a shot.

And definitely don''t put anything on the inside unless you''re using fake candles.

(ETA: I didn''t notice the lacey vellum was already suggested; I had just noticed the pearly vellum.)

(EATA: Here is a link to some patterned vellum. There are lace-like ones and some with designs in pinks/corals. Unfortuneately, they don''t have a larger view of the paper, but you get the idea of what''s available.)
Actually, I don''t think the inspiration pic has lace...I think they''re frosted. The whole point for this was to use the crystal cylinders that the club already has in order to save money. I didn''t like the cut of them, so I thought I could add the lace and ribbons.

Thanks for the ideas! I will run by Michael''s tomorrow and see what I come across. I''m really leaning towards the other centerpiece idea now (posted in first entry in the thread). I''m just not crafty and I''d rather spend a few hundred then try to make 22 centerpieces myself. It''s just another thing to worry about. On top of that, I wouldn''t have to worry about the "perfect" color ribbon to match my flowers. I can just get any flowers I want...any color I feel like! (no bridal party
1.gif
)

Now I just need to make sure the venue allows open flamed candles.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results