shape
carat
color
clarity

how is platinum restored?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning! When trying on wedding bands it was obvious that the platinum in my e-ring is now very "gray" colored compared to the white, shiny, new platinum in the new wedding bands. A local jeweler told me that I''d need to get my e-ring "restored" before the wedding so that the metal in my e-ring will match the metal in the wedding band. Does anyone know what he means my "restored" (i.e. what will they do to my ring and how much should I expect to pay?) Thanks!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I bet he means that the piece needs to be polished to restore the shine so it matches the band.Many brides do this just before the wedding so the rings match in those up and close pictures...but some like the patination(mellow grey color) that comes from wear on platinum...so repolishing is optional...but make sure you bring your ring in to your jeweler to have gems and prongs checked and cleaned regularly(every 3 - 6 months)...always ask what the jeweler charges for repolishing and if the bench jeweler is experianced in polishing platinum jewelry.ENJOY your ring and congrats on your up coming marrage.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelerman, Thank you so much for the information and good wishes!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewelerman has given sage advice! as far as what you can expect to pay for these services, checking prongs, and cleaning are generally free of charge. Polishing, however, could run you a slight fee (I''ve typically had this service done while I''m on site at my jeweler''s for free, but they do say they charge $40 to polish one platinum ring, so be warned.) Also, if your jeweler finds your ring needs prongs retipped or replaced, they may charge you an additional fee to retip or replace. Follow jewelerman''s advice, and if you haven''t done so yet, be sure to insure your ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results