shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal different than GIA report

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

happyday

Shiny_Rock
It just occurred to me to post this for some more knowledgable feedback rather than worrying in silence.
I am certainly no diamond expert...

Ok, so here''s the deal.
I recently had my RB solitaire reset with tapered baguettes.
I sent it to a *very trusted* jeweler/family friend in NYC to do the work.
I mailed my ring to them, they designed the new setting, reset the stone onsite by their in house setter and mailed it back to me. The ring looks amazing and I couldn''t be more pleased with the final product.

So, why I am stressed out... especially if I trust the jeweler?
I had a bad dream that this was not my original stone.
So, I re-read the original GIA report and the appraisal and noticed a couple *minor* differences.

Please let me know if this is reasonable or if I should be concerned.

GIA Report
6.96 x 7.09 x 4.14MM
1.25CT
D - VVS2
Strong Blue Fluorescence

Independent Appraisal (after reset)
6.95 x 7.05 x 3.9MM
1.26CT
D - VVS1
Slight Fluorescence

Thanks for any input.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
its the same stone everything is within the margin of error grading mounted vs lose.
The fluorescence is a bit strange but the appraiser may not have tested it under both long and short wave uv.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I understand your concern as I have one of my own. The GIA report states the measurements of my princess as 6.85 x 6.85mm - perfect square, right? No, the actual measurement is 6.85 x 6.75mm as measured by two different appraisers. It''s a 1/10th of a mm out.

When I contacted the GIA regarding the inaccuracy, I was told to bring it in unmounted and with their report. Since that involves flying to NYC from Toronto and waiting 3 days staying in an overpriced hotel to have a new report written up, I''ve done nothing. It doesn''t bother me, but if I were to sell it, there might be a problem....
33.gif

Btw, the gentleman I spoke to advised against sending it as no courier nor Canada Post will insure items of that value. The maximum insurable by courier is $500. and Canada Post doesn''t insure jewellery or loose gems at all.

happyday

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/22/2008 7:49:53 PM
Author: strmrdr
its the same stone everything is within the margin of error grading mounted vs lose.
The fluorescence is a bit strange but the appraiser may not have tested it under both long and short wave uv.
Thank you for your reassurance, strmrdr.
Yes - it was the fluorescence difference that bothered me the most, but you raise a good point about which wave uv.
Glad to know that it was just a really really bad (and realistic feeling) dream!
emembarrassed.gif

happyday

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/22/2008 8:15:31 PM
Author: isaku5
I understand your concern as I have one of my own. The GIA report states the measurements of my princess as 6.85 x 6.85mm - perfect square, right? No, the actual measurement is 6.85 x 6.75mm as measured by two different appraisers. It''s a 1/10th of a mm out.

When I contacted the GIA regarding the inaccuracy, I was told to bring it in unmounted and with their report. Since that involves flying to NYC from Toronto and waiting 3 days staying in an overpriced hotel to have a new report written up, I''ve done nothing. It doesn''t bother me, but if I were to sell it, there might be a problem....
33.gif

Btw, the gentleman I spoke to advised against sending it as no courier nor Canada Post will insure items of that value. The maximum insurable by courier is $500. and Canada Post doesn''t insure jewellery or loose gems at all.
This is so interesting ... your difference does seem more clear-cut. I''m surprised the GIA report was written up that way.
I would probably do nothing if I were in your shoes as well... or at least wait until I needed to be in NY for another reason.
I shipiped my stone via USPS registered mail. It went from Pennsylvania to NY.
I can''t remember what the upward limit of coverage was. but the value of my stone fell within that.
It was shipped back to me the same method (but the value was quite a bit higher with the setting and side stone), but the jeweler had addiitional insurance to cover that.
Thanks so much for the info!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results