shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW 80s marquise to 2017 engagement ring!

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
So happy it's here! My engagement ring and custom setting is everything I hoped for!

About the diamond:
It all started with my fiance's mom's ring from the 80s - marquise cut on a super-wide yellow gold band. She was a real glamour girl with refined taste - fiance told me she sent back at least one stone that the jeweler had sourced for this ring, so basically she was a PSer at heart ;-). I'm so glad she left us this 1.87ct F SI2 sparkler - it's bigger than I would have felt comfortable picking for myself, but not so big that I think it'll draw unwelcome attention. Granted I know nothing about diamonds, but I have 20/10 vision and honestly can't see any of the inclusions from the top view. You can see the original setting in previous threads here and here.

About the setting:
I knew I wanted to reset it, and agreed with my fiance that we should do it as a solitaire. I searched high and low for a satisfactory premade setting, but the options for marquise are nonexistent compared to round! With some encouragement from PS, we decided to go custom, because I had a fairly specific concept of what I wanted.

I was inspired by the marquise shape, which reminded me of a gothic arch, and by a family ring (pearl in a 4-prong belcher setting) which reminded me of a romanesque vaulted ceiling. I wanted the setting to be like an upside-down gothic vaulted ceiling with six "columns" as the prongs - with the marquise/gothic shape reflected everywhere. Here's a previous thread about the setting, with drawings.

So, we got dressed up and went to a reputable (fancy) local jeweler, who trashed my idea because it wouldn't sit flush with a straight band, didn't seem able/willing to help with the design at all, and scoffed at our idea of recycling the yellow gold from the original setting into wedding bands. Luckily I found Rick of Wenrics, who understood immediately what I was going for, and even said that he woke up in the night thinking about how he'd create this ring after I emailed him my drawings. I'm also really glad he recommended X1 white gold - I prefer gold over platinum, but wanted to avoid the maintenance of rhodium plating. He even specializes in recycling jewelry, so of course he made us both fantastic yellow gold wedding bands from the original setting. The process took longer than I'd hoped, but after five revisions I gave him the go-ahead to cast the ring, and now it's finally here!

My ring has all the elements I wanted, and it even sits perfectly against my straight wedding band! I can't stop staring! :love:

2_-_4odtasn.jpg

3_-_gsggfyz.jpg

4_-_pdlw3sq.jpg

5_-_hbz8epv.jpg

6_-_r7twlxg.jpg
(just realized my "fire shot" features a big greasy fingerprint... lovely)

7_-_xlzjkgl.jpg

8_-_dgvfhmk.jpg

1_-_7tosnpz.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great story! I love that you found the right jeweler to to create your vision. And what a vision! Your ring is modern yet elegant with beautifully clean lines. Timeless and beautiful on your hand! I love it! :appl:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness this is absolutely gorgeous!! I am going to have to check out this Rick and Wenrics. He knocked it out of the park! The prongs on the tips are perfect and it looks so well executed.

That is really special that you have your mom's diamond and the metal was able to be made into your wedding bands. Would love to see pics of your bands and a photo of your band with your e-ring if you get a spare moment :naughty: .

Congratulations on your ring, it is stunning!!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting is nothing short of amazing! It is so fluid, feminine, elegant, unique and timeless at the same time. So glad you moved on from the first jeweler, and found this one who not only executed a beautiful showcase for your stone, but did so in a manner that adds to the joy. Nicely done!! Oh, and add me to the list of those who would love to see it with your new band(s)!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it top down - all about that marquise, all gorgeously long and elegantly sparkly but wow, that profile :love: :love: :love: it's sleek and architectural and different from every angle. I am blown away by how beautifully he's realised your vision and how striking it is. What a masterwork. Love it, love that you've recycled the original YG into your wedding bands too :clap: :appl: Seconding or thirding the request for a pic with your wedding bands too!

Q

Queenie60

Very beautiful ring. Congratulations on your engagement! Wishing you many years of happiness.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! You nailed the perfect updated, upscale setting for that diamond! It is just stunning and a wonderful way to rehome such a sentimental stone. Congrats on your engagement - would love to see pictures of the gold bands as well.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
It turned out super! So glad you found someone to work with who shared your vision for it!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love everything about this ring: the history, your perseverance, the fluidity, everything. What a happy way to start a happy life together.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is fabulous. I love the setting too. Glad you found the perfect person to set it for you.

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
More pictures? Oh, I couldn't possibly! :naughty:

I didn't have any wild ideas for my band, but I always suspected my fiance would enjoy some kind of modern or natural texture on his band if he were ever made to think about jewelry. Rick showed him some options and he picked an allover hammered band. I'm glad he got something personal too.

Thank you for the lovely compliments on my ring and especially for the warm wishes for our happy future! Now just gotta plan the wedding :shock:

20170309_171720_0.jpg 20170309_171754_0.jpg

2017-03-09_17_0.jpg
^ BTW is this even the right order in which to wear them? I've somehow never noticed :oops:

2017-03-09_17_1.jpg

2017-03-09_17.jpg
^ tiny gap!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE how sleek the lines of that setting are. Just Stunning!!! Gorgeous! Modern and clean and so white! Well done!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous diamond and setting. It looks great on your hand.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm dying with your sleek wedding band next to your sleek e-ring!!!!! Gah! Love your soon-to-be hubby's wedding band too. The mixed metals look gorgeous next to each other.

And do I see a 408 area code?!?! I seriously need to check out this Rick person, LOL.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowsers, it's lovely, lucky you!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring!! I'm so glad you found someone who could give life to what you imagined your setting to be :) so lucky to have inherited such a gorgeous stone!!

jauhara

Rough_Rock
Trade
I never ever post here. But I lurk most days. This is absolutely stunning. Perfect in every way. Congratulations to both of you and to your awesome jeweler!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just utter, utter perfection! The story, the diamond, finding a jeweller who listened, and then just wow! The swooping prongs, the tips, the overall aesthetics & the weight to it - absolutely the most perfect marquise ring that dreams are made from! And I truly :love: the plain wedding ring. Super classy with no extra fuss & from the original gold band too. Just yum!

Congratulations!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks gorgeous with the band as well - such a beauty!!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The stone and the setting are just fabulous! It's so wonderful to see your visions come true! Congratulations to your engagement!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! I LOVE this! Elegant, sophisticated, feminine and so graceful! LOVE! :love:

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a difference! It looks perfect on your hand!

sjroberts

Shiny_Rock
Now that is a perfect setting! So modern yet elegant! Congrats!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out great!! :clap: So happy you stuck to your guns and created something you will truly enjoy!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, your rings are perfection. Your stone looks amazing in your setting and so much bigger than in the original wide band setting. I love a wide band generally but taking it to a smaller setting was perfect for your new stone. It is even more special since it was a family stone. Has your DF's mom passed? It sounds like she has, but I bet she would adore this new incarnation of her diamond and setting. Your jeweler really hit a home run. It is hard to find someone to re-use metal but it sure makes it special that you did. Love your bands, love that your soon to be hubby will be able to have a large ring fashioned from his mom's ring.

Congratulations! So happy for you that everything went so well and turned out so beautiful. May your life be blessed with much happiness!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is stunning!!! Congratulations - wear it in good health :love:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the stone, the setting, and both of your wedding bands - it's all amazing. It looks great on your hand and I love that you recycled the gold!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most perfect marquise ring!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results