shape
carat
color
clarity

8-prong Solitaire Settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angel777

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I just read in one of the posts that the more smaller prongs you have, the bigger the diamond will look.
Here is the demonstration of that by the poster:

sixtoeight.JPG

I am having trouble finding 8 prong settings though. Can you please help me, by posting pictures and showing me where you got the settings?

Thank you!!
28.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
To me, the more prongs there are, the smaller the diamond looks. THe prongs cover up the diamond.

angel777

Shiny_Rock
I think she was talking about super tiny prongs vs. heftier prongs.

This diamond looks huge with lots of prongs:

8prongs.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of 8 prongs. It is such an antique look. Tacori has some stunning ones. I think more prongs makes the diamond look bigger IMHO.

angel777

Shiny_Rock
I agree very antique and unique look. :)
I took a look at some tacori rings, so gorgeous!

It will be very easy to align 8 arrows with 8 prongs too!
25.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very true!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That type of 8-prong setting has been more popular in Europe, at least until vintage looks caught on here. There is someone from Great Britain on ebay selling those plain 8-prong crown types in 1ct and above size. Try searching for a "Rex" setting or such.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love 8 prong settings, but I''m not sure they will make the diamond larger looking. I actually love them because the prongs are usually smaller and less noticeable, but the stone is still secure.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well for me a 6 prong setting with tiny prongs makes the stone look bigger than a 4 prong setting...my 6 prongs definitely emphasize SIZE on this stone more than the 4 prongs on my old stone did.

for 8 prongs though i would probably only do it on an already significantly sized diamond, because too many prongs CAN overwhelm the diamond. unless of course yes they are really SUPER tiny. but even then i probably wouldn''t do it on a stone under 1c. maybe on a 1.5c+. so i guess it would depend on your stone size and if you have a jeweler who can make the prongs tiny.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good point Mara, 8 thick prongs would probably overwhelm the stone...but 8 little ones I think would be less noticeable.

angel777

Shiny_Rock
My stone is just a little over 1ct. I am just trying to think of all the cute ways I can make my diamond look bigger.
So this is where the 8 prongs question came from. But I agree with Mara, I don't think 8 prongs would make a difference on 1ct stone. I am thinking 6 prongs would be sufficient.
I was also thinking of halo settings, and such. Optical illusions are great.
3.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you ruled out a bezel? They definitely make the stone look larger. However, they are not for everyone. Thin bands really help make the stone pop too.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
here is a more prongs setting I used to wear, i had it reset becuase couldn''t see the diamond

canterbury junk shop stonereset.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree halo and bezels will make a diamond look larger than any number of prongs. I am always amazed by the before and after on halo rings.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2006 8:08:13 PM
Author: angel777
I agree very antique and unique look. :)
I took a look at some tacori rings, so gorgeous!

It will be very easy to align 8 arrows with 8 prongs too!
25.gif
oh you are a girl after my own heart! If I got a round no doubt I''d do JUST that! I hope you do it so I can live vicariously in your wonderful symmetry LOL!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2006 12:41:47 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I agree halo and bezels will make a diamond look larger than any number of prongs. I am always amazed by the before and after on halo rings.
I don''t agree that that works every time - I''ve seen it done well and I''ve seen it done in a way that makes the middle stone look like it''s been set to TRY to look bigger. I don''t know how to explain it... sometimes halos look like they''re accenting like when you do round melee around a square stone or something... sometimes they look like they''re changing the shape of the diamond like putting a round in a square halo - which I love the look of... sometimes the balance and tightness is just right and the stone looks much bigger and sometimes it just looks like a cluster ring which IMO makes the center stone actually look smaller. Bezels to me make the stone look smaller, but if you have a wonderfully large stone already (like 4 hearts) then I *LOVE* the look - I think her ring is my favorite PS ring I''ve ever seen aside from that 10 carat oval hehehe

Angel,

Here are two 8-prong setting that I am thinking about for my re-set. What do you think? Has anyone seen these in person? Would you consider these to be 8 "tiny" prongs or 8 "hefty" prongs?

I was thinking that the 8-prong would make my stone look larger. Right now it is in a 4-prong that I think makes it look smaller. People ask me all the time if my RB is a princess cut(???) because I guess my setting makes the stone look more square. I think this optical illusion also must make it look smaller because if I look at my ring from a distance and try to see a square stone, I think it looks smaller (like shaving a mm of each side of the round stone inbetween prongs).

here's tacori #1

mstmtacoriA.jpg

here''s tacori #2. i like this halo because it doesn''t look to me like one is trying to make the center stone look larger, it is just a nice accent that looks pretty up close (although i''m sure it makes the stone look at least 0.5carat larger from across a room)
Does anyone agree/disagree with that assessment? I haven''t seen either ring in person yet.

mstmtacoriB.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that halo too! It is delicate and doesn't overpower the stone. I do think it would make the stone look bigger. Personally though, my favorite halos are the ritani endless love style.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2006 3:37:25 PM
Author: midnightshakesthememory

here''s tacori #1
I *love* this setting and am thinking of something similiar for my ring. I love the swooops or swags between prongs!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2006 3:39:39 PM
Author: midnightshakesthememory
here''s tacori #2. i like this halo because it doesn''t look to me like one is trying to make the center stone look larger, it is just a nice accent that looks pretty up close (although i''m sure it makes the stone look at least 0.5carat larger from across a room)
Does anyone agree/disagree with that assessment? I haven''t seen either ring in person yet.
I agree that I prefer very tiny/thin halos without a lot of metal. It looks like a true "halo" and not a cluster IMO :)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are two of my favorite Tacoris! I just love both of them. The profiles are beautiful! There was a PSer who has the second one. I think it is on the Tacori thread.

Thanks for the tip, I searched and found some info and photos from a couple PS-ers with the tacori#2 setting. Has anyone seen tacori#1 in person? I am really interested what you thought! I think it is really pretty, but the total carat weight is listed somewhere in the 0.1 range which seems low.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS2006 and I have seen both at a local jeweler. They are better in person.

angel777

Shiny_Rock
I adore bezels, but like Cehrabehra said, I think bezels look better on huge stones to begin with. My little one carat might be overpowered by a bezel.
I think 3hearts bezel ring is divine though! Here it is in case some of you havent seen it:
DSC00487P.jpg

midnightshakesthememory, both of those tacoris are lovely. I prefer #2 because the halo blends with the stone making the illusion of your stone being really big.
Here is a picture of that setting:
bidtacori2.jpg

So many choices.
Decisions decisions
28.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2006 5:06:18 PM
Author: angel777
I adore bezels, but like Cehrabehra said, I think bezels look better on huge stones to begin with. My little one carat might be overpowered by a bezel.
I think 3hearts bezel ring is divine though! Here it is in case some of you havent seen it:
DSC00487P.jpg

midnightshakesthememory, both of those tacoris are lovely. I prefer #2 because the halo blends with the stone making the illusion of your stone being really big.
Here is a picture of that setting:
bidtacori2.jpg

So many choices.
Decisions decisions
28.gif
Oh yes, every time I see her ring I think oh I need a round so I can wear THAT on my finger!!!! every time I hear it I hear light saber noises ::whooonngg::whoonnnggg:: LOL But I think instead I''ll just get a pendant like that *eventually* lol

And that lower one is my favorite halo setting on ps :)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....I disagree. IRL I think a bezel does make the diamond bigger. Mara set a small diamond in a thin bezel and it looked so much bigger than its weight.

angel777

Shiny_Rock
Cehra,
our tastes are very similar!

What are your other favorites on PS if you don''t mind me asking?
28.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a couple of more delicate ideas to make a stone look bigger. If you don''t want a regular halo, you could have an "underneath" halo.

DK%20Rosebud.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, if you don''t want a bezel that is wide and modern looking...here''s a super-thin bezel that is delicate and antique looking. I think it would still make the diameter of the stone look larger.

super-thin-bezel.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results