clarity

Photographer Help!

Which option should I choose?

• Photographer 1

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ksprincess

Shiny_Rock
I wish I had a bigger budget for photography than I do....but I don't.
emcry.gif
Nonetheless, I am hoping to get someone good for my budget. Here are the scenarios.

Photog 1. $2500 - for unlimited wedding day photography, e-pics, 2 photogs, dvd of 300 edited images copyright released, dvd wedding day movie slideshow.

I talked to her on the phone and really liked her and I think shes offering a lot. www.ashleyparsons.com

Photog2. $2400 - 8hrs of coverage, 45 image bound album, 2 photogs?, bridal and e-pics, to get the copyright released cd is an extra $550 and is only available after the date.

I can't talk to her on the phone until may as she is in Europe. www.julesimages.com

Photog3 - $1900 (which of course means FI will love them.) - 8 hrs of coverage, 2 photogs, master files, e-pics, best of online slide show. www.mikechrisstudio.com

It should be noted that we probably won't use the e-pics since we don't live close by. I guess I'm torn, b/c we want to be as inexpensive as possible, but 3, only gives 8 hrs of coverage. How important is it for the photographer to be there all day? What do you all think about the photography styles?

Here is my favorite if money were no option:

www.branchesinbloom.net
25.gif

ksprincess

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I clearly messed up on this one. Just post your reply if you would be so kind.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
So far, I say number 1. I update later.
36.gif
I think number 1 looks the least posed, and 1 is a good deal. Any references available? And how long does it take to get pics?

partyjewels

Shiny_Rock
I voted for #1.

becoming_sadie

Rough_Rock
I vote 1 bc I love the style; however, having a bit of experience with photography I''ll say that 8 hours may be sufficient. If you have everything together like hair, and getting ready, and all that jazz, this will save you money. There is nothing exciting happening photography-wise after you through the bouquet. It all depend on when you start the day. Hope this helps
1.gif

largirl

Shiny_Rock
I''ll try to give you my insight as a wedding photographer.

First - if you aren''t using the engagement session, see if you can substitute something - a bridal session, a trash the dress session, or even a maternity/newborn session if you are planning on having kids. Or tell her that you can''t use the e-session and see if she''ll reprice it for you - it might knock $200 or so off.

Second - you''ll save a ton of money having the pics on DVD with printing release. Have your photographer print the important, big pics - 8x10s that are going to be framed, etc. Throwaways for your bridal party or little 4x6 pics that you don''t necessarily want forever and ever amen, print yourself at Costco or somewhere. Costco (for anyone) has probably the best print quality for the price. They''re fairly professional grade and a little pro secret is that a LOT of pros use them for emergency print fulfillment.

Third - an album is a BIG deal if it''s quality. You''ll want to see an example of photog #2''s album. Albums are probably THE best way to preserve your memories. Nowadays most pros offer flush-mount albums that are absolutely gorgeous and that you''ll never regret owning. However, if she doesn''t offer the greatest design or quality, then it wouldn''t be worth it. You''ll want to find out if the other options offer albums and if so, for how much (they are usually really expensive).

Fourth - count up the hours! Do you know what time you''re getting ready or your hair is getting done? Do you want that documented? Figure out where you want the coverage to start and count forward to two to four hours into your reception (depending on if it''s a cocktail reception, seated, buffet, etc.). For example, if you are getting your hair done at 9 and you think all the important reception stuff will be done around 11, then 8 hours isn''t nearly long enough. But if you''re getting your hair done at 3 and it will wrap up around 11, then it''s plenty.

ksprincess

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. I think I''m between #1 & #3 now. I like the lighting (brigher) that mike&chris studios uses (#3) more, but I''m not sure. As for the amount of time, I really want our photographer to capture us leaving the reception *send off* at around midnight, so eight hours before would be 4pm. How long did most people find it took them to get ready?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id go with 1 much better portfolio and very nice technical work.

I was not impressed by 3 at all.

#2 is someplace between 1 and 3.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I like #1

ksprincess

Shiny_Rock
I agree that #3s work displayed on the website is not great, but I feel like their blog is better??

http://www.mikechrisstudio.com/blog/

Or am I just nuts and trying to justify going with the cheaper price?

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 10:37:41 AM
Author: ksprincess
I agree that #3s work displayed on the website is not great, but I feel like their blog is better??

http://www.mikechrisstudio.com/blog/

Or am I just nuts and trying to justify going with the cheaper price?
I agree...his blog pics are good. I think $1900 for his quality is very good.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i voted #1 and yes, i agree with largirl about negotiating with any of your photogs with what you want. some people want a photo album cause they don't think they will ever get around to making one and some are perfectly fine with creating their own. and the quality of the photo album definitely makes a difference.

i negotiated as we did not want a reception slideshow and got a second parents album with half the pics in exchange. i felt that i wanted the photogs to not be distracted about creating a reception slide show and put their time and energy into taking pics during the wedding. plus FI is photo shy and did not like the idea of having his mug up for a slideshow :)

i really liked the photo albums that my photog put together so i felt that i wasn't just paying for the photo album but also her artistic eye. she had several styles for me to choose from.

also make sure that if you are getting dvd of your pics that they use archival dvd. not all dvds are created equally!

unlimited time sounds like it is something you might want since you want to capture your sendoff, plus i always hear that the timing at weddings tends to run late so you probably want to make sure that your photog doesn't have their eye so closely on the clock. what time is your ceremony?

ksprincess

Shiny_Rock
I am hoping the ceremony will start around 6pm.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 1:18:50 PM
Author: ksprincess
I am hoping the ceremony will start around 6pm.

so yeah, you will need to figure out how long you need to get ready, get to the location, and how much of the pre-6pm activity you want your photog to capture. plus any of the other photogs should be able to tack on some more time and maybe take away some of the other items that you may not want in the package.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results