shape
carat
color
clarity

Necklace mystery...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was given this necklace by a friend who didn''t know the origins of it, and thought that it would suit me better than it did her. She said that her mom had given it to her and told her it was really old costume jewelry- but I really have no idea. I thought you guys might be able to help out. And it helps if anyone you know how to read Hebrew. I''m thinking that the stones could be aquamarines or blue topaz. They''re lighter in person.

Sorry that the pics are cr4ptastic-my camera doesn''t have macro mode, but I did what I could...

DSCF5045.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And the back--which is where the knowing how to read Hebrew comes in...

DSCF5051.JPG

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Kind of looks like aquamarine....but.....hard to say. I had an old Jewish estate necklace that had some Hebrew writing on it and a good size amethyst set around a cross......Unique piece! Thanks for sharing

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Fanscinating and fun! I wonder what was originally dangling at the bottom ...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
more blue stones?

movie zombie

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s quite pretty in an odd way. You wouldn''t think the design would work but it appears to, very interesting. I hope you figure out what it is.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a fascinating piece. I don''t wear it often but I do get tons of compliments on it when I do wear it. I hope someone can help...

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is an interesting piece, they look like Aquamarine to me. I rather like it!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
OK so I am dying to know what that says. Maybe you could put up something in the hangout calling for hebrew readers? Might get more traffic...either way, I love it! Very cool piece, could we get a neck shot?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 9:18:07 AM
Author: Miscka
OK so I am dying to know what that says. Maybe you could put up something in the hangout calling for hebrew readers? Might get more traffic...either way, I love it! Very cool piece, could we get a neck shot?

I think that''s a good idea to multipost in Hangout. (I only said multipost because it reminds me of The Fifth Element and "multipass". Wow, I''m a dork)

As for neck shots...I''ll work on it. To me it looks funny if I clasp it at the end of the chain because of the roundedness of the ornamentation. (I have no idea what you''d call those side...things...) When I wear it I''ll clasp it so that it becomes more of a choker almost. Perhaps I''ll go try to take pics both ways so that you can see what I mean.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More pics...
On my neck, tightened, kind of blurry but I thought it was an interesting pic. With some fire thrown in.
10.gif

DSCF5147.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is more of the true color of the stones. They're a icy blue, which is hard to pick up with my camera.
Also, this is with the necklace tightened.

DSCF5156.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
One with the necklace clasped at the end of the chain.

DSCF5178.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More fire!
9.gif

DSCF5179.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another one of the back. About halfway through the characters on the top of the pendant, the silver is dented/badly formed so it makes it really hard to get a decent pic of the 4th character along the top. Without macro on my camera, I think this is about as good as it gets.
8.gif

DSCF5201.JPG

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
this piece is interesting and ive never seen a piece with hebrew on it but this is my opinion after dealing with antique and costume jewelry for many years...the chain link on the back of the necklace was popular in the 1950s for evening jewelry as was this collar style of necklace.The stones could be aquamarine but i think it more likely zircon or cut glass if it is silver or gold plate.the closed back and bezal setting may be hiding foiled backs to enhance the color of the stones.The color blue was popular for costume jewelry in the 1940s and 1950s.the piece could have had genuine fresh water pearls for the dangles and clipped off when the piece became out dated.I bet the hebrew stamps are hallmarks the give the place of manufacture and possibly the purity of metal ect.There has got to be someone that can help out with the hebrew!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just want to say that trying to draw the characters was the hardest drawing I have *tried* to do since trying to draw my own face in an art class. Just picture me with a flashlight hovering about 4 inches over the necklace trying to make out tiny millimeter letters that I can't even read. And then trying to duplicate them. Don't laugh at my attempt, I did my best.
14.gif

Anyway, here it is.

ETA: I know now after staring at it for about half an hour that it is carved in there. You can see amazing things in jewelry when you've got a flashlight on it and it's only a few inches from your face! I'm totally taking a flashlight with me to the jewelry store next time! (They'll probably think I'm weird and throw me out...)

DSCF5205.JPG

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 2:11:05 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I just want to say that trying to draw the characters was the hardest drawing I have *tried* to do since trying to draw my own face in an art class. Just picture me with a flashlight hovering about 4 inches over the necklace trying to make out tiny millimeter letters that I can't even read. And then trying to duplicate them. Don't laugh at my attempt, I did my best.
14.gif

Anyway, here it is.

ETA: I know now after staring at it for about half an hour that it is carved in there. You can see amazing things in jewelry when you've got a flashlight on it and it's only a few inches from your face! I'm totally taking a flashlight with me to the jewelry store next time! (They'll probably think I'm weird and throw me out...)

Just a wild guess, but st 935 could be the silver content...935.

eta: here is a little bit of info on 935 if it is indeed silver.

http://www.modernsilver.com/basichallmarks.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results