shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I specify pave stone size to Leon, or leave it up to him?...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
I am having him create a double twisted shank brightcut pave setting for my 2.68 RB. I don''t like the look of pave that''s too fine / small, but I also don''t want it to look chunky. I guess my inclination is to let him do what he thinks is best, but the control-freak in me is second guessing myself.

Also, I''ve read in a few past threads that smaller pave makes a center stone look larger - is this true at all?

Thanks!
1.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I would talk to Leon and explain exactly what I want, so there is no confusion.
2.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh bem I have no expertise to answer your questions but I just wanted to say your ring is going to be BEAUTIFUL!
I cannot wait to see it.
I''m sure you could leave it all up to Leon and he will create yet another artful masterpiece!
The resident experts that know him will chime in shortly.

Congrats!!
36.gif
36.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me, I would probably just tell him exactly what I want so there is no disappointment in the end.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 12:04:08 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
If it were me, I would probably just tell him exactly what I want so there is no disappointment in the end.

Thanks for the feedback everyone -

I guess what I''m worried about is that I can tell him what I ''want'', and he might do that, but what I think I want might not be what will look best in the end.

I don''t know why this is stressing me out so much!!

20.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would discuss this with them. tell him what you want but that you trust his artisitic ability over what you *think* will look good and if he feels the pave needs to be smaller etc. personally, I know what I like and don''t like, but if I were getting a ring made by leon I''d trust his inticts over mine just b/c I love everything on his site so I know he''d do it in a way that I''d love it. does that make sense?

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 2:32:21 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I would discuss this with them. tell him what you want but that you trust his artisitic ability over what you *think* will look good and if he feels the pave needs to be smaller etc. personally, I know what I like and don''t like, but if I were getting a ring made by leon I''d trust his inticts over mine just b/c I love everything on his site so I know he''d do it in a way that I''d love it. does that make sense?

Yes, this makes perfect sense, and is what I did. I called and spoke to him about it. Although I''ve never seen a ''Leon'' in person, when I have seen Tacori''s the pave always looks so much less significant in person than in the stock photographs. I told him that my preference would be to ''err on the side of larger pave rathern than smaller'', but that I totally give him full artistic license to use his best judgment based on the proportions of the ring, etc. He told me that he tends to err on the side of as small as possible, as he thinks that this is generally more elegant. He also told me that it is less labour intensive and therefore sometimes cheaper to have larger pave stones rather than smaller ones, which makes sense when I think about it.

I hope that he just does whatever he thinks is best! I hope that I clearly communicated that I trust his judgment over my own...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
bem, your ring is going to be fabulous. the tacori that you loved, what it the twisted shank one, like mommabears?

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 6:20:01 PM
Author: mrssalvo
bem, your ring is going to be fabulous. the tacori that you loved, what it the twisted shank one, like mommabears?
Yep, that''s the one. I love it in photographs but when I''ve seen it in person I was underwhelmed. The pave just seemed to disappear. When I brought that photo into Leon (along with many photos of his designs that I loved) he, well, let''s just say that he made it clear that he''s not a fan of Tacori.

I know that the stones in that Tacori ring are 1 pointers. When I spoke to Leon today he said that my ring would likely be 1 pointers + (the pave would be graduated), which he said is quite large for his style of pave. I''m thinking that likely the overall effect of the pave has as much if not more to do with how it''s done rather than stone size. I don''t know...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just looked at that tacori last week. I actually saw it with a 2 carat center and thought it was gorgous, but then saw it at another store with probably a .75 center and didn''t like it as much. my guess it was more the 2 carat center I fell in love with..lol. anyway, i''m not surprised Leon wouldn''t be a fan of tacori. I do think he will do an amazing job on your ring. i can''t wait to see it when it''s done!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll have to tell you, I am switching from 10 point stones to very delicate pave on a w-band and I think it is far more elegant and beautiful! So my inclination is to trust Leon! The tiny pave will allow your beautiful diamond to be the center of attention!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results