shape
carat
color
clarity

help choosing between two stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mca311

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m new to the forum but have been browsing through here and have learned a ton about diamonds from everyone here. Thanks for that.
I''d like to get some input on two stones I''m looking at. I''ve shopped around online and at b&m stores and i''ve narrowed my search to two stones:

Stone A specs:
GIA rated. Excellent Cut, Very Good Polish, Excellent Symmetry
1.30 ct, E color, VS1. only two pinpoint inclusions on the report. medium girdle.

Table: 57%
Depth: 61.5%
Crown: 35.0%
Pavillion: 40.8%

Stone B specs:
GIA rated. Excellent Cut, Excellent Polish, Excellent Symmetry
1.35 ct, F color, VS1. more inclusions than on stone A. medium girdle.

Table: 56%
Depth: 62.5%
Crown: 36.0%
Pavillion: 40.6%

Stone B looked much more fiery from afar, but I think both looked great. Would you choose one over the other and why? Does polish matter much in the GIA ratings? Should I be asking the jewelers any more questions (they are from two different stores)?

I appreciate all your feedback on this. Thanks.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
They both sound nice; which did you like better with your eyes? As long as polish is very good or better you should be fine.
You can use this tool to weed out bad stones https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp A stone performing from 0-2 is great and above 2 might be bad performers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

The second diamond falls into firey ideal cut range ( FIC) and this is what you are noticing. These diamonds can be cherished for this effect! The first one looks good also. Could you post the diameter measurements so we can see how well each diamond faces up please?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 5:14:20 AM
Author: Lorelei
Welcome!

The second diamond falls into firey ideal cut range ( FIC) and this is what you are noticing. These diamonds can be cherished for this effect! The first one looks good also. Could you post the diameter measurements so we can see how well each diamond faces up please?
Miss Lorelei, what does that mean and how do you know if you have it?
28.gif

ETA: I see
2.gif
; I found this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tic-fic-of-hca.24193/

mca311

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies.

Stone A''s dimensions are 7.02-7.03-4.32

Stone B''s dimensions are 7.01-7.06-4.38

They''re pretty similar stones. I''m leaning towards stone A because of the better color and according to the GIA reports, although they are both VS1s, stone A looks cleaner.

Any thoughts?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2008 12:45:18 PM
Author: mca311
Thanks for the replies.

They''re pretty similar stones. I''m leaning towards stone A because of the better color and according to the GIA reports, although they are both VS1s, stone A looks cleaner.

Any thoughts?
I love the specs on stone A, however, love the Ex polish and symmetry on stone B. This may just be personal preference since I really wanted Ex polish and symmetry in addition to the other specs.

With regards to inclusions, at a VS1 level, there will be no inclusions that interfere with the integrity of the diamond or it''s light performance so that should not be a worry, however, if it is a "mind clean" issue, not all inclusions are created equally. The ones that are likely present in a VS1 diamond are white inclusions like a crystal or very small clouds. There may be more of them in one than the other, however, what types of inclusions do either have? Are they the same type of inclusions in both and one just has more than the other or are they different types of inclusions?

With regards to color ... Both E and F fall in the colorless range, thus, it''s a bit like splitting hairs to see the difference b/n them most of the time, however, this being said, if you want the E, go for it! They are both a great size and look as though they are beautiful.

Based on the specs you posted, stone A, even though it''s a few points smaller, seems to face up almost as big as stone B. This is probably b/c stone B is cut a little deeper. This may be a positive ... less carat weight yet same visual display, spread wise, right?

I have a sneaky suspicion that your mind is almost made up.
2.gif

Please let us know what you decide to go with ... Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2008 12:45:18 PM
Author: mca311
Thanks for the replies.

Stone A''s dimensions are 7.02-7.03-4.32

Stone B''s dimensions are 7.01-7.06-4.38

Any thoughts?
There won''t be a visual size difference between the 2, so go with the one you like best. They are both great diamonds.

mca311

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your replies and feedback. After careful consideration, I did go with stone A.

I talked to my sister about it and like you said, it really was like splitting hairs since they were essentially the same price. I''m sure she''ll love it either way, but again, kudos for the forum because I''ve learned quite a bit about diamonds by doing my research here.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your diamond purchase! We would love to see pics sometime if you are able!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!! It will be beautiful!!
Do we get to see once you get it?
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results