shape
carat
color
clarity

Thin - Medium girdle thickness

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Boloh

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Is it safe to purchase a diamond with Thin-Medium thickness? Does it chip easily?

Thanks,
Paul

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 12:55:03 PM
Author:Boloh
Hi all,

Is it safe to purchase a diamond with Thin-Medium thickness? Does it chip easily?

Thanks,
Paul
Yes!

Any diamond can chip, if hit just right. But these girdles should be fine. Very thin is what to avoid.
28.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are fine with thin to medium. The concern is with very thin girdles and below. Other considerations that make the diamond prone to chipping are:
1. very high settings
2. sharp pointy corners on shapes like Princess cuts
3. wearing it to do "hard" work
4. rare but it happens - knocking it at just the right angle.

However, in general, a thin to medium girdle is a great one. You''ll also have very little hidden weight in the girdle.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
boloh, I have an antique stone with a "very thin - extremely thin" girdle, something common on antique stones. I love my stone, I love it''s performance and I wouldn''t want to change anything about it (like polishing down the girdle to make it sturdier) for fear that its performance would be adversely affected. To that end, I simply do not wear my ering for sports, gardening, anything where I''m doing manual labor things. I would never wear it to get wood from the wood pile, nor would I keep it on when tending the fire. I wear it a lot, but not for rough activities. It''s pretty easy to keep it protected that way. That said, even a med-thick girdle can chip if you whack it in just the right way...It''s a crap shoot, really. All you can do is use good judgment when wearing your ering. Oh, and ENJOY IT!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I agree with all of the above. In addition, you should purchase insurance (unless you are willing to replace a chipped diamond from your own bank account.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results