shape
carat
color
clarity

Visual difference between 1.5 & 1.75

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Will this jump be a noticable difference? I can obviously see the difference between a 1.5 and a 2.0, but how about a 1.75? I am contemplating purchasing a 1.75 and will have my 1.5 for comparison, but just curious what you all thought about a noticable size difference...

Thanks!

gulliverseyes

Rough_Rock
Go to the home page and click on the search by cut link, enter excellent to excellent and your two ct sizes. It will give mm (mm x mm will be very close) sizes for each ct size. You can use a metric ruler and plot the difference, I''ll guess a half a mm since 1 ct is about 6.5mm and 1.25 ct is about 7mm. Diamonds are different than a ruler, and settings can change the perception, but I think there will be a noticable difference.

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I'd love to see a side by side comparison somehow......I'm constantly comtemplating the very same jump........the 2+ct upgrade is still out of reach for me right now, so I constantly think of splitting the difference (current stone is a 1.59) but can't decide if it'd be worth it........bigger is bigger no matter how you cut it, but will I even notice a difference in say a month or two??? hmmmmmmmmmm... are you thinking of changing settings or just stones? I would definatley not be changing settings, mine is only about 6 months old...

ETA: I just went and looked at your old posts and saw your GORGEOUS ring! Forgive me for asking if you would be changing settings, your current setting is lovely!
1.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 2:36:58 PM
Author: Jenn5504
I'd love to see a side by side comparison somehow......I'm constantly comtemplating the very same jump........the 2+ct upgrade is still out of reach for me right now, so I constantly think of splitting the difference (current stone is a 1.59) but can't decide if it'd be worth it........bigger is bigger no matter how you cut it, but will I even notice a difference in say a month or two??? hmmmmmmmmmm... are you thinking of changing settings or just stones? I would definatley not be changing settings, mine is only about 6 months old...

ETA: I just went and looked at your old posts and saw your GORGEOUS ring! Forgive me for asking if you would be changing settings, your current setting is lovely!
1.gif
Thanks! I plan to do the side-by-side comparison, but just not sure if it's even worth looking at if it won't be a noticeable difference. My current stone is 1.51 and I can't afford the jump to 2 quite yet, either!

I am not sure if I will keep my current setting or not - I've ordered the Facets Duo http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=3581 which is pretty much the same setting, but with thinner bands, plus the new set will be higher quality diamonds (VS-VS F-G versus SI G-H). I am hoping the thinner bands and higher diamond quality will help the 1.51 stand out a little more, then I wouldn't worry about upgrading the center stone (for now, anyway!).

I guess we'll see! Decisions, decisions!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It wouldn''t be enough for me personally. Once you get past 1 ct., you need bigger jumps to see an appreciable difference.

Sise by side, you would see the difference, although it wouldn''t be huge. But once alone, on your finger, not really. I''d hold out for at least a 1/2 ct. jump.

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 3:12:13 PM
Author: ImpatientOne

Date: 1/4/2008 2:36:58 PM
I''d love to see a side by side comparison somehow......I''m constantly comtemplating the very same jump........the 2+ct upgrade is still out of reach for me right now, so I constantly think of splitting the difference (current stone is a 1.59) but can''t decide if it''d be worth it........bigger is bigger no matter how you cut it, but will I even notice a difference in say a month or two??? hmmmmmmmmmm... are you thinking of changing settings or just stones? I would definatley not be changing settings, mine is only about 6 months old...

1.gif
Thanks! I plan to do the side-by-side comparison, but just not sure if it''s even worth looking at if it won''t be a noticeable difference. My current stone is 1.51 and I can''t afford the jump to 2 quite yet, either!

I am not sure if I will keep my current setting or not - I''ve ordered the Facets Duo http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=3581 which is pretty much the same setting, but with thinner bands, plus the new set will be higher quality diamonds (VS-VS F-G versus SI G-H). I am hoping the thinner bands and higher diamond quality will help the 1.51 stand out a little more, then I wouldn''t worry about upgrading the center stone (for now, anyway!).

I guess we''ll see! Decisions, decisions!
Those facets rings are gorgeous! I have a 1.68tcw facets eternity band and I love it (G-H/VS). The quality is very nice. I think thinner bands will make your current stone feel bigger. Then again........would putting that $ towards a new stone instead get you a visual jump stone wise??? It''s a never ending saga, at least for me.......
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think you''ll see much difference. You will see a smidge of difference side by side, but I doubt if seen independently. If you have DSS, or are concerned about it, I''d hold out longer for a bigger stone. In smaller carat weights, the size difference is larger. In larger carat weights, the size increase goes down yet the prices go up exponentially.
39.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Ellen...

It is rare for me to notice the difference...and at that point, would prefer quality if it is one or the other.

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 3:26:05 PM
Author: Ellen
It wouldn''t be enough for me personally. Once you get past 1 ct., you need bigger jumps to see an appreciable difference.

Sise by side, you would see the difference, although it wouldn''t be huge. But once alone, on your finger, not really. I''d hold out for at least a 1/2 ct. jump.
....that''s exactly what I was afraid of......it''s going to take at least a 1/2 ct. jump to notice...... maybe I can hold out 4 more years for the 10 year anniversary......
40.gif
Celina at WF recently taunted me with a honker 2.53ct that I can NOT stop thinking about! But no way is it happening right now......It''s almost double what I paid for my current stone.
8.gif
That''s what I get for starting with a J/SI2......for me personally, I don''t have any more room to wiggle on color/clarity...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 3:39:05 PM

....that''s exactly what I was afraid of......it''s going to take at least a 1/2 ct. jump to notice...... maybe I can hold out 4 more years for the 10 year anniversary......
40.gif
Celina at WF recently taunted me with a honker 2.53ct that I can NOT stop thinking about! But no way is it happening right now......It''s almost double what I paid for my current stone.
8.gif
That''s what I get for starting with a J/SI2......for me personally, I don''t have any more room to wiggle on color/clarity...
Well, start stocking away bits here and there, and maybe you''ll find you saved more faster than you thought. And/or maybe a killer bargain stone will come along too.

It could happen.
2.gif

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
Not to hijack this thread but enquiring minds would like to know if a jump from 1.35 to the 1.75 range would be noticeable. This would be a mm increase around .6 to .7. Would it be worth the $ to upgrade? Or would you hold out for longer for more size?

gulliverseyes

Rough_Rock

/\ I think so, even if not looking side by side.

I''m going with a 1.25 ct because I seem to always know when a ring is over 1 ct. It''s like, 1 ct is fairly common, but when you go over it by .25 your brain is able to tell the difference based on what you commonly see. Keep in mind I live in the rust belt where you don''t see a lot of big bling.

I know a few showy people with fairly large diamonds, although I don''t know the size. On these people, their settings really push that big rock up high with six long prongs. To me, these types of settings look like they are designed to show off money, and show no art in the setting or taste for the whole look.

I''m not saying big rocks look showy, just make sure the size is consistant with the setting to lend to an artistic end result.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 3:49:10 PM
Author: secondhandnews
Not to hijack this thread but enquiring minds would like to know if a jump from 1.35 to the 1.75 range would be noticeable. This would be a mm increase around .6 to .7. Would it be worth the $ to upgrade? Or would you hold out for longer for more size?
This is the best comparison I could come up with. This is a .57 ct difference. (1.22 vs. 1.79)

And this is assuming very well cut stones that you are comparing.

1.22 vs. 1.79belle1.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006 posted this a while ago..it''s a 1 carat, a 1.3 and a 1.63...

diamonds01712.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, believe me, I feel your pain!

But remember, upgrading costs money, and more than just the difference in stone prices... there's the shipping charges, resetting charges, appraiser fees, not to mention if you actually change settings, too -- AND your insurance premium will go up! I know because I've been through it a few times myself!

Honestly, as intoxicating as it is to think about a 1.75 vs a 1.5, I would say "wait" till you can go up a half carat and get to the 2 mark (or maybe you'll get lucky and find a killer stone just shy of 2 carat, which would be awesome!) I just don't think the difference will be that visually satisfying -- AND it sounds like you are a lot like me, and you probably won't rest till you get to 2c anyway, (I say this with the utmost affection!), so the 1.75 would likely just be a temporary, rather expensive "stepping stone" anyway.

And BTW, if a person is prone to DSS (and some of us are and some of us aren't), it really doesn't matter much if our diamond is set on invisible fishing line... so I think I would also advise you to keep your current setting, too, and just hold off for a few years till you can do it all in one fell swoop (upgrade and new setting). Waiting will definitely save you money that can ultimately be put toward *SIZE*!
31.gif

And oh, regarding your J/SI2 (which I also have and adore!)... IMVHO, we are still not as looooow as we can gooooo!
2.gif
I think you still have some wiggle room, girlfriend! Just look at some of the killer K's around here! Oh maaaaaan! I would sooooo consider a superbly cut K stone, and oh, if it had some fluoro... yum, yum, even better!
36.gif

Well, have fun -- and keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results