shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused about purple pink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sometime

Rough_Rock
I''ve been doing some reading and I can''t seem to find a consistent answer on whether or not a purple pink is a desirable or undersirable modified on a pink diamond. I thinking of getting a fancy purple pink diamond around 1 carat, rectangular brilliant that looks to me to have visible inclusions (I''m no expert) and just has a GIA color grading report. The vendor is asking for $33k which I found fairly reasonable. The cut is a little deep and the color to my eye is more purple than pink. What do you guys think?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sometime! Welcome to PS
35.gif

Unfortunately I''m not sure about the color question but I do think that if you are paying $33K for something, you should get exactly what you want. If you even a tiny bit unsure, keep looking and something wonderful and right up your alley is likely to show up. Sometimes when looking for your perfect diamond, it takes a while.

I certainly would not spend a significant amt of money on anything with visible inclusions. These however are just my thoughts.

When you do find exactly what you are in search of, please come back to show us pictures. Pink diamonds are beautiful!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pics and specs would be helpful. I know the color of a pink diamond is hard to judge from pics, but it''s hard for us to help without them.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink diamonds are gorgeous but I too would hate to have one with visible inclusions.

Garry, thanks for the link to info on colored diamonds. I enjoyed it.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sometime. I know very little about pink diamonds, although I have a ring with pave pink and white diamonds. The pinks are heat-treated, which is an incredibly important point when considering the price. Had they been natural, we never would have been able to afford the ring.

Just thought I''d mention it because you didn''t say if the diamond was natural or heat-treated.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/16/2007 10:54:33 PM
Author:Sometime
I''ve been doing some reading and I can''t seem to find a consistent answer on whether or not a purple pink is a desirable or undersirable modified on a pink diamond. I thinking of getting a fancy purple pink diamond around 1 carat, rectangular brilliant that looks to me to have visible inclusions (I''m no expert) and just has a GIA color grading report. The vendor is asking for $33k which I found fairly reasonable. The cut is a little deep and the color to my eye is more purple than pink. What do you guys think?
are we talking about purplish pink or purple-pink? Don''t have a definitive answer either way but just wanted to clarify the question

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/16/2007 11:20:29 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Link off site to my very own colored diamond chart. I do not sell on-line, so not advetrorializing.

2 jumps up or to the left roughly doubles the price, and one diagonal up to the left doubles. So yes - purple pink is the beez kneezz
Iwould safely say that the jump from brownish-pink to clean pink doubles (plus) easily.
22.gif

The only thing is: the scope of color hue''s is way, way wider than Garry''s chart! But the chart gives you a good idea!!!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
I think the main question is to ask yourself - do you like the color? Fancy colored diamonds have a big range of colors and prices. First and foremost you should love the color.

From my readings as a consumer and collector, I would say purple is one of the modifiers that can raise the price of a pink diamond. But, again, price ranges vary greatly as do the shades and colors. Although color is supposed to rank first as a factor for the beauty of a colored diamond, I would still say the other factors such as clarity and cut matter as well. When I say clarity, I am referring to those fancies that are I1+ and have the inclusion smack dab in the middle of the stone where it is very obvious and visible. I have a purple with a booger right in the middle, and it kind of makes me sad to see it there all the time even though the color is magnificent.

Also, does the stone you are considering have a GIA report? I would never buy a colored diamond without one. Got burned before with an EGL USA graded stone that I later got a GIA report on.

I''m sure the fact that the stone has visible inclusions from what you observed yourself is a factor in the price, but again, buy it if you love the color and can live with the imperfections that you can see.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Also, does the stone you are considering have a GIA report? I would never buy a colored diamond without one. Got burned before with an EGL USA graded stone that I later got a GIA report on.
if it''s not too personal would you mind saying what the difference was between the GIA and the EGL USA cert?

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2007 10:54:33 PM
Author:Sometime

1) Purple hues are rarer in diamond than pink hues, and consequently more expensive.
2) You need to like the color no matter what it''s worth.
3) Don''t buy the paper; buy the color you see in person.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 3:37:55 PM
Author: DBM

if it''s not too personal would you mind saying what the difference was between the GIA and the EGL USA cert?

Hi DBM,

EGL USA stated the stone as "Fancy Light Bluish Green". It is a pretty color, and that was one of the reasons I purchased it. After having it for a couple of years, I took it to to a lab to get an opinion. They suspected it was treated somehow but not for sure. So, out of curiosity, I had it sent to GIA. It came back "Undetermined". I know green diamonds are another ballpark because of how they get their green color, but I never thought EGL USA would grade a color as "natural" while GIA would beg to differ and say it as undetermined. Makes me wonder what equipment EGL USA is using to determine if a fancy colored diamond is natural and what specific tests are used to test origin for greens.

Kroshka

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/17/2007 4:21:33 PM
Author: kroshka

Hi DBM,

EGL USA stated the stone as ''Fancy Light Bluish Green''. It is a pretty color, and that was one of the reasons I purchased it. After having it for a couple of years, I took it to to a lab to get an opinion. They suspected it was treated somehow but not for sure. So, out of curiosity, I had it sent to GIA. It came back ''Undetermined''. I know green diamonds are another ballpark because of how they get their green color, but I never thought EGL USA would grade a color as ''natural'' while GIA would beg to differ and say it as undetermined. Makes me wonder what equipment EGL USA is using to determine if a fancy colored diamond is natural and what specific tests are used to test origin for greens.

Kroshka

Kroshka,

GIA said they can’t tell.
Some unspecified lab said they thought it was treated but they can’t tell.
EGL-USA said that they think it’s untreated and natural.

Why are you concluding from this that EGL-USA has done you wrong?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
In all fairness, you are right GIA basically said they can''t tell.

The lab it was taken to - ProGem Lab in Chicago.

I can''t really say EGL USA did me wrong so to speak (afterall it is their "opinion"). However, it would be nice to know how they came to the conclusion that the color was natural while GIA says that they can''t be sure.

I guess in terms of a report for a colored diamond, I value GIA''s opinion more than EGL USA''s. But again, that''s my personal feeling.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Until recently EGL USA had some serious scientists develop their methodologies. So do not discount EGL USA''s opinions just like that. They have published an excellent booklet on their methods.

Determining the origin of colour of green and blue green is very difficult.

I believe GIa may have had treated yellows slip thru in the mid 1990''s as a result of new treatment technologies, and they would not want that to happen ever (if it really did).

Sometime

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the numerous replies guys, it's been really helpful. I do like the stone so I've purchased it. Once it's set I'll post some pics. The vendor I was buying from also commented that green/yellows were difficult to grade, and that GIA sometimes takes months to make a determination on them.

Just a quick clarification, it's got a GIA color grading report and has been classified as "PURPLE PINK", and is untreated.

Sometime

Rough_Rock
Here''s a pic of the finished ring, is PS limited to only one attachment per post?

CIMG6622.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results