shape
carat
color
clarity

Seen any good movies or TV lately?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
The last movies we saw in the theater were American Gangster and the new one with George Clooney (I can''t think of the name). I wasn''t thrilled with either one. I''ve heard Gone Baby Gone was great (the book was really good) but I haven''t seen it yet.

Right now, we''re in the middle of a Ballykissangel marathon from Netflix. Ballykissangel is an older (''90s?) TV series from Ireland -- it''s pretty good! We''re going to start netflixing October Road and Brothers and Sisters.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i wish. i hope that the new year brings some better movies and tv!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
The most TV fun we've had this year was catching up on the first few season of THE OFFICE (American Version). Neither of us had caught onto how good it was (despite many recs from friends) so it was a true delight to gobble 'em up for a few precious weeks! But then the wait for the new season was AWFUL & then the season was cut short due to the writer's strike ARG!!!!!

Other faves: 30 ROCK, CHUCK, THE HILLS, Assorted Dancing shows, AMERICAN IDOL, PROJECT RUNWAY

Mildly entertaining: GUY'S BIG BITE (food network), REAL HOUSEWIVES OF O.C., KITCHEN NIGHTMARES

As far as MOVIES go ... eh, I'm not such a fan ... but I did enjoy:

LARS AND THE REAL GIRL
SUPERBAD
KNOCKED UP

On my "to watch" list:

PARIS, JE T'AIME
ONCE

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
It''s non rating season at the moment which means really bad TV. I''ve just bought seasons 1 - 3 of Grey''s Anatomy on DVD as I only started watching the TV screening of it during the end of season 2. It''s all starting to make sense now!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Across the Universe was really awesome.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like to watch the reruns of the Office; I do wish there were new episodes.
Right now I have been watching Lifetime and ABCfamily in the evening for the holiday movies.
1.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Zoe, I LOVE both October Road and Brothers and Sisters. I just started watching Brothers and Sisters this year, so I intend to go back and watch the first season this summer.

Although I love movies, I haven''t seen a whole lot of good ones lately. I think the last movie I was blown away by was Pan''s Labrynth.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
crown1, all the the new year will bring on TV is more (and older) reruns with the WGA strike getting worse and worse.

I can't believe no one's mentioned ENCHANTED yet!!! I love it! We've seen it twice (once at the El Capitan for the Enchanted Experience...umm, AMAZING.).

We also just saw Juno yesterday, loved that, too.

Other semi-recent movies... The Ten, Superbad (now on DVD), Knocked Up (now on DVD), and Dan in Real Life.

Our list of TV shows is seemingly endless... and likely wouldn't do you any good
3.gif
, since they are all in reruns now (or about to be).

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
THE ORPHANGE, spain''s entry into the competition for the oscar''s best foreign film. saw this at the film club we belong to; film will be released end of this month.

MICHAEL CLAYTON, the above mentioned george clooney film, which i enjoyed a lot.

AMERICN GANGSTER, good but not stellar.

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, the coen brothers are back in their stride with what i think is one of the best films they''ve made in quite some time.

I''M NOT THERE, a very different movie about bob dylan. saw this at tiff in september and loved it, but then i''m a dylan fan.

ATONEMENT, interesting....especially as there were so many men in the theatre for a film i thought was geared for women. good but there was a glitch in the sound at the screening i was at which destroyed some of the most important moments of the film. rec''d a free pass from the theatre for any movie any time....that''s how bad the glitch was. however, an interesting movie.

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, was very very very different. any beatles fan should see this film. some of the imagery was breath taking. this film from the woman who gave us FRIDA.

and if you haven''t seen it, THE SIMPSON''S MOVIE, will be out on dvd soon.....and it is a fun ride.

movie zombie

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
For new shows, I love Pushing Daisies. I also really like the cop drama Life (mainly because I''m completely in love with Damian Lewis) and Showtime''s Dexter on DVD. The older standbys of The Office and My Name is Earl have me watching the NBC Thursday line-up again. I''m rewatching Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls on DVD too. Are there even enough episodes of October Road to be on DVD already?

Sabine, Pan''s Labyrinth blew me away too! SO dark, but just an amazing and (creepily) beautiful movie. I also really liked Elizabeth: The Golden Age despite the bad reviews and wonky history, but I''m a sucker for both Cate Blanchett and Elizabeth I, soooo...

PS-Musey, are things going ok with you since the writer''s strike? A friend of mine who used to be in the industry is really following what''s going on, so I''m trying to keep up with it all. I''m kind of amazed they haven''t come to any agreement yet, since it doesn''t seem like the writers are asking for that much in proportion to what the production companies bring in. I guess it''s all politics and the producers worrying about what can of worms it will open up.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 12:40:31 PM
Author: Selkie
PS-Musey, are things going ok with you since the writer's strike? A friend of mine who used to be in the industry is really following what's going on, so I'm trying to keep up with it all. I'm kind of amazed they haven't come to any agreement yet, since it doesn't seem like the writers are asking for that much in proportion to what the production companies bring in. I guess it's all politics and the producers worrying about what can of worms it will open up.
No!
39.gif
There are still some random projects going on, but it's practically nothing compared to the usual abundance of work--and most are low-budget indies and music videos (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not where my income usually comes from!). By next month there will be next to nothing. We're ok financially, but if the strike continues past this winter I'll be looking at a temporary career change.

I had a meeting with the asst. VP of Sony the other day, she said she is hoping for a resolution by February... but expecting it around JUNE OR JULY!!! For the record, I 100% support the WGA, but they're not the only ones giving up their income for this strike...

Thanks for asking, selkie
1.gif

Sorry for the mini-thread-jack, zoe!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 12:20:19 PM
Author: musey
crown1, all the the new year will bring on TV is more (and older) reruns with the WGA strike getting worse and worse.

I can't believe no one's mentioned ENCHANTED yet!!! I love it! We've seen it twice (once at the El Capitan for the Enchanted Experience...umm, AMAZING.).

We also just saw Juno yesterday, loved that, too.

Other semi-recent movies... The Ten, Superbad (now on DVD), Knocked Up (now on DVD), and Dan in Real Life.

Our list of TV shows is seemingly endless... and likely wouldn't do you any good
3.gif
, since they are all in reruns now (or about to be).

that is really too bad. i used to enjoy watching some shows but i have all but given it up. i hope that this strike doesn't go on that long. it will not be good for the industry as many are finding other things to do with their leisure time. time will tell. i do enjoy some good shows and movies but i have plenty other things that are calling my name so i hope this strike doesn't damage the industry

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in the UK but rumour has it that since the strike more British programs are being imported to make up for a TV shortage. Not sure if it''s true or not, but here are my favs:

Secret Diary of a Call Girl - starring Billy Piper
Top Gear
Gordon Ramsey''s Kitchen Nightmares
Nevermind the Buzzcocks
Have I Got News for You
QI - with Steven Fry (Hugh Laurie''s past partner in crime)
Life on Mars

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
I love these threads-- real-world reviews are so helpful in finding movies which we may have overlooked!

It seems like most of the big ones have already been mentioned, so I guess I''ll second some of the earlier suggestions. "Enchanted" was very well-done, and isn''t quite as... restricted viewer as the other recent ones I liked.

"No Country For Old Men" was brilliant, yet violent and not the type of movie that''s going to be appreciated by everyone. It was creepy, intense, symbolic, and holds the Coen Bros. tradition well. I would describe it as a great adaptation of a non-populist book, but that also means the end result is a non-populist movie. When the movie drew to a close, some people actually hissed while some people applauded in our theatre-- and THAT''S not a common occurrence!

"Gone Baby Gone" was much better than I thought it was going to be; say what you will about Ben Affleck, but his ability to make his brother Casey look like a great actor reflects a certain facility with directorial skills. :)

As for movies we''re dying to see, "Juno" is next on the list for an evening out, and "Once" has been #1 on our Netflix Queue awaiting its DVD release.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 2:59:37 PM
Author: musey
Date: 12/17/2007 12:40:31 PM

Author: Selkie

PS-Musey, are things going ok with you since the writer''s strike? A friend of mine who used to be in the industry is really following what''s going on, so I''m trying to keep up with it all. I''m kind of amazed they haven''t come to any agreement yet, since it doesn''t seem like the writers are asking for that much in proportion to what the production companies bring in. I guess it''s all politics and the producers worrying about what can of worms it will open up.

No!
39.gif
There are still some random projects going on, but it''s practically nothing compared to the usual abundance of work--and most are low-budget indies and music videos (not that there''s anything wrong with that, it''s just not where my income usually comes from!). By next month there will be next to nothing. We''re ok financially, but if the strike continues past this winter I''ll be looking at a temporary career change.

I had a meeting with the asst. VP of Sony the other day, she said she is hoping for a resolution by February... but expecting it around JUNE OR JULY!!! For the record, I 100% support the WGA, but they''re not the only ones giving up their income for this strike...

Thanks for asking, selkie
1.gif

Sorry for the mini-thread-jack, zoe!
Ugh, sorry to hear that. I hope they come to a resolution sooner than expected. It seems like it''s in nobody''s best interest to drag it out another six months, but that''s what I said about the grocery strike in 2003 also.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t had time to see any movies in the theatre lately, although I really want to see Juno.

On TV, I''m loving Chuck (it reminds me of Get Smart!) for a new show, and 30 Rock, It''s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and The Office for returning shows.

For rented movies, I just saw Mostly Martha, which was great!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Musey I am so sorry! It is so easy to get annoyed b/c my favorite shows are all old shows and easy to forget ALL the people who are REALLY affected by the strike. Now I feel selfish....
8.gif

For TV I love "Dirty Sexy Money," (We were a HUGE fan of "Six Feet Under...")
"The Office," "Pushing Daisies" and "Project Runway"
I like "Grey''s" and "30 Rock" tolerate "Private Practice" plus I basically enjoy any reality shows. I am fascinated with "Real Housewives..." b/c I have NO idea what their motivation is to be on that show
33.gif
No cash prize. No career advancement (for the most part). Why give up your privacy?

I haven''t been to the movies for awhile now but really enjoyed "Across the Universe" and "Michael Clayton." I can''t wait to see "Juno." DH and I loved "Arrested development" so it is fun that two of the actors are from that.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been addicted to PBS series The War.
It''s the story of WWII told from the perspective of everydays Joes from four town''s in America starting in 1941. It''s easy to relate to since it''s not told from the vantage point of generals or ''war heros'' or just narrated like a text book.

It takes you to a family in small town Luverne, MN how life was fun and what they did for entertainment and then on the radio they hear how Pearl Harbor was just bombed. Then it moves to a guy who only enlisted into the Army because his gf broke up with him and he wanted to get out of town and now he''s marching for 6 straight days without food or water because the Japanese are relocating his group to a camp.

For someone who didn''t really pay attention in History class and avoided History classes in college - I finally am interested in learning about America''s History.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loved No Country For Old Men and Dan In Real Life.

And of course, The Office is the greatest show on television. Curb Your Enthusiasm is an extremely close second.

justageek

Shiny_Rock
I''m going to repeat Superbad and The Office, if you haven''t seen either yet!
I also really enjoy South Park and Family Guy -- some genius funny moments in both -- but I understand they''re really not for everyone...
You could also watch old episodes of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, and Still Standing is one of my favorite sitcoms out right now.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a problem Musey! I''ve been meaning to ask how you''ve been doing since the writer''s strike. I''m curious to know what you''ve been in (or will be in when the strike ends) but I know that''s private information. I hope things go well for you and that an agreement between all parties involved happens soon.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 6:55:59 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Not a problem Musey! I''ve been meaning to ask how you''ve been doing since the writer''s strike. I''m curious to know what you''ve been in (or will be in when the strike ends) but I know that''s private information. I hope things go well for you and that an agreement between all parties involved happens soon.
Thanks zoe!
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Selkie, I think October Road''s in its second season. We haven''t seen it yet so we put the first season in our Netflix cue. I can''t wait to watch it.

Has anyone seen Men in Trees? It''s a TV show with Ann Heche (it kind of reminds me of Northern Exposure). I''ve only seen it a few times and I might put it in our cue.

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t seen too many movies in theatres lately, but the last one I did see was well done. It is called "Control" and about the life of the lead singer of Joy Division.

As for TV, many people mentioned The Office, which is one of my personal favs.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t seen anything at the theater recently except for Fred Clause, which I wouldn''t classify as "good".

As far as GOOD goes, I watched The Piano on demand the other night, and it was pretty good. I guess some people would see it as slow, but I like slow character-y stories with lots of good music. And it was a little bit on the...naked side. literally. I also re-watched The Gods Must be Crazy, which I think is pretty hilarious.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I forgot to mention, I love "Samantha Who" and "Notes from an Under Belly"

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and i forgot to mention ang lee''s latest: LUST/CAUTION. i thought it was very very good. in interesting time in chinese history. and then two days later i was talking to a young chinese immigrant who when i mentioned the movie told me about his parents involvement in resisting the japanese.

movie zombie

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw National Treasure 2; it was good! I liked the first one better but I enjoyed it.

Steel

Ideal_Rock

I was watching the Strictly Come Dancing series up to last night. Come to think of it, the Spice Girls performed and they were Terrible (capital ‘t’), now I LOVE the Spice Girls but it was like wild cats trapped and hungry for dinner. Meaow! [Except of course for Mel C who always could sing.]

I am looking forwards to seeing the Will Smith: I am Legend!

(Shhh, don’t tell anybody but I am currently watching re runs [***cough*** yes I own the DVD’s] of Newlyweds, gotta love the sparkle and LV)

I am loving Coronation Street and Eastenders (soaps on UK TV), can't wait for the Christmas Climax!
emembarrassed.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I just caught up with Battlestar Galactica and Heroes. I truly can't decide which show I like better...both brilliant. I hate when the DVDs run out on my shows.
39.gif

FI and I just finished watching Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. One of those funny-yet-action-oriented movies. Robert Downey Jr. is a BEAUTIFUL man. Yum.

OOH! And I almost forgot! Saw I Am Legend at the IMax last week. EXCELLENT movie. Truly. Go see it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results