shape
carat
color
clarity

7 day cruise to Alaska

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dberg

Rough_Rock
I just found out today that DH is taking me on a 7 day cruise to Alaska in May to celebrate graduating with my M.Ed.

I''m sooooo excited! Does anyone know of any must-see''s? We start in Whittier and end up in BC, with stops in Ketchikam, Sitka, and Juneau. I have the best DH.

Beth

Shiny_Rock
That sounds like fun. My Dad goes to Alaska each year but not cruising. Won't the ship have a sight seeing coordinator for mainland activities? I hope you have a ball.

NoviceNYC

Rough_Rock
I don't know if this is as much a must see as a must do but the glaciers are just exquisite in Alaska and Juneau has some of the most incredible as well as all varying types. I would highly suggest that you take the helicopter tour as well as the dog sledding which is just great.

dberg

Rough_Rock
The ship will have a activities director, but if you wait to book excursions until you are on board, some of them will fill up. I've also heard that you can book your own excursions before hand and save 40%.

I've looked at the helicopter tours and they look great. DH and I might end up doing that - it will be our big splurge. I think we might just rent a car in Ketchikan and see the sights that way.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Both Sitka and Ketchikan are rather small, the furtherest thing away in Ketchikan is the Tinglet (pronounced something similar to Clicket) village. The furthest thing in Sitka, I believe is the raptor center. I think the roads on the entire island equal about 8 miles.

You will love Aleska, the people are great, and the land is just so beautiful. I'd love to go back!

win

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 4/3/2004 12:23:28 PM winyan wrote:

Both Sitka and Ketchikan are rather small, the furtherest thing away in Ketchikan is the Tinglet (pronounced something similar to Clicket) village. The furthest thing in Sitka, I believe is the raptor center. I think the roads on the entire island equal about 8 miles.

You will love Aleska, the people are great, and the land is just so beautiful. I'd love to go back!

win
----------------

Pronuonced (Clink-it)...

21.gif

I suggest renting a car for the day..

9.gif

There's kayaking and boat tours from Allen Marine...I suggest calling Sitka Bike & Hike where you can rent a bike for the day...

16.gif

The Raptor Center is about a mile & 1/2 from the airport...

1.gif
There are many trails you can explore and are well maintained, making any adventure easily accessible...

You will be here in the prime time of the salmon run and the boat chartering business is in full swing including whale watching..

9.gif
The center of town is a little touristy and you can see everything in about an hour or 2...

Definitely look into occupying yourself with the many things Sitka and Alaska have to offer..

21.gif

If your looking for a good place to dine I would highly reccomend Ludvig's Bistro which serves excellent fine Medditerranean cuisine...

wacko.gif

Hope you enjoy your trip..

wavey.gif

Win's right when she says the people in a Alaska are great..

21.gif

dberg

Rough_Rock
Thanks Win and Colored Gemstone Nut.

CGN - it sounds like you live in Alaska - where abouts if I might inquire. I appreciate the heads up on the biking idea. Mentioned it to DH and he went nuts over the idea.

Were you suggesting renting a car for Sitka, Ketchikan, or Juneau?

Very excited here in Georgia.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 4/3/2004 10:55:21 PM dberg wrote:

Thanks Win and Colored Gemstone Nut.

CGN - it sounds like you live in Alaska - where abouts if I might inquire. I appreciate the heads up on the biking idea. Mentioned it to DH and he went nuts over the idea.

Were you suggesting renting a car for Sitka, Ketchikan, or Juneau?

Very excited here in Georgia.
----------------

I live in Sitka

9.gif

You will be fine with renting a bike in here...If your into kayaking I would check out ATA..(Alaska Travel Adventures)..They have a couple float houses out at "Camp Koogan Bay"..Usually they shuttle everyone out there and then with some brief instruction on general kayak safety you can explore the with guides....

In Juneau the touristy stuff is located right down town...I am sure there will be tours offered and it might be a good idea since your not familiar with the area..The glacier is a sight to see and there are tours over the glacier offered by Coastal Helicopters...

Stop by on the board walk to eat at "The Hanger" ...Neat place with great food and live music at night...

21.gif

I've posted some pictures of our area in the Who's who forum if you want to check them out...

2.gif

dberg

Rough_Rock
Thanks Josh.

I suppose if I had read your tagline I could have figured out that you lived in Sitka.
loopy.gif

I'll share your suggestions with DH. He's told me that since the trip was supposed to be a surprise and I accidently found the itinerary that I have to stop making plans for the rest of the trip - I'm supposed to leave it up to him.

Guess I'll have to research on the sly.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results