shape
carat
color
clarity

6mm Akoya Studs

liz

Rough_Rock
I’m looking to buy some quality 6mm akoya studs, but the usual recommended vendors (Pearl Paradise, Pearls of Joy, The Pearl Outlet, etc.) don’t carry that size. I can only find really nice 6mm studs from Mikimoto but don’t want to pay that much. Any recommendations for smaller quality studs?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TPO and Pure Pearls do sell the 6.0-6.5mm range.

Imitation pearls are sold as a specific size (like 6.0mm), but cultured pearls are listed in a half-mm range (like 6.0-6.5mm). This is because pearls are made by oysters, not machines, so they are not calibrated sizes. But you can ask the vendor to find you a pair that are closer to the lower part of the range.
Does that make sense?

liz

Rough_Rock
Yes, thank you! I understood about the sizing for cultured pearls, but then I noticed Mikimoto sells specific sizes rather than a range. Why is that?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. I wonder if they are rounding off? There is a difference between 6mm and 6.0mm, if you know what I mean.

But if not, it's a fact that Mikimoto has vast quantities of pearls to select from.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think that Mikimoto has one of the largest inventory of Akoyas and thus can match size and quality without a huge mm difference. When you get the studs perhaps there is a report as to size and for insurance purposes. FWIW, how much are the 6mm Mikimoto akoya studs?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results