shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique Save-The-Dates... ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We were pretty sold on the magnet idea... until FFIL informed us that they seemed "tacky" and might give the wrong "impression" about the tone of our wedding. He volunteered this information without our asking his opinion, which I happen to think is quite a bit tackier than magnets could ever be...

Anyway, I don't really agree, but a quick poll of close family and friends came back with the a majority vote of NO on magnets
7.gif
I think I'm running with the wrong crowd. Anyway, regardless of whether or not magnets actually have a tack-factor (I STILL don't think they do) those who are close to us are the ones that matter in that equation, as they will be the ones receiving them and (hopefully) looking at them on their fridge for the following year or so.

Held there, of course, by A MAGNET.

SO... back to the drawing board!

I saw the Mandarine did hers on/with fans, I thought that was wonderfully creative. Any other ideas out there--ones you've had made, or received, or just seen floating around on this inter-web of ours?
1.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
We are trying to decided on magnets or not right now. just curious, why do they think it is tacky? The only other thing I have heard about is including a sticker so people can mark their calenders but it isn''t really that special of an idea...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Indecisive, I think it's like most other supposedly tacky things, they don't really have an explanation, just a "feeling." I don't really get it either. One friend said it was a bit "juvenile"
20.gif
I would have said "whimsical," myself.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Rrrrg, that''s frustrating! Personally, I love the magnets. We just ended up with some cardstock that we printed and stamped ourselves. They looked nice, but nobody kept them on their fridge, (including my own parents - my dad constantly told people the wrong day) - resulting in phone calls from our friends: "Hey, it''s in June, right? Can you e-mail me that date again?" ACK! I''m a big fan of anything with a reminder for the calendar (God bless my dentist who gives out appt cards with a removable sticker in it!). Maybe you could order a plain print cardstock version for FI''s fam and do magnets for everyone else!

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE magnets. They''re the only thing that I can keep track of.

I saw someone do save the dates on very similar paper to what they eventually used for invitations, so it looked like it all went together. That''s nice, but then you have to decide on invitations now.

sera

Ideal_Rock
On theknot.com I saw a cute idea... the photobooth pics look... in each frame the couple holds up a different card- SAVE... THE... DATE... MONTH DAY, YEAR. Then for those who have nothing against magnets, they can put them on their fridge. For the antimagnetites... whatever!
2.gif

eta: linky

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We did the magnet thing. I don''t think it looked tacky. Maybe it is all in the design....hmmm....actually I thought it was quite cute b/c when we went to our friends''/family''s homes so many of them had them on their fridge.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2007 11:52:33 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
We did the magnet thing. I don''t think it looked tacky. Maybe it is all in the design....hmmm....actually I thought it was quite cute b/c when we went to our friends''/family''s homes so many of them had them on their fridge.
Good point... I didn''t show them the design we picked so maybe they had the wrong impression? I think it is quite elegant. Maybe they''re picturing something obnoxious?

STDmagnets.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm,

I''m doing the magnets - but it''s not very common here in the UK, PS was the first time I saw them.

Our wedding is full on ultra-formal, hand-engraved invitations etc and I never thought they were a tacky idea. I''m sure you could do tacky things to print on them - but the idea per se is not tacky IMHO.

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
In general I don''t think they are tacky. But it depends on the design. My sister had one sent to her and it was just so-so, but she didn''t really care and put it on the fridge anyway. It was a nice gesture to get one regardless.

Is that the design of your magnet though? Cause that are SO not tacky. I love it!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Hi Musey!

I personally don''t like magnets...but maybe because it''s just what most people expect and I just wanted something different!.

Does your wedding have a theme? or is there something that describes you guys?

Are you DIY or buying?. I just saw an idea that I loved, a puzzle!!!. I know I would love to get a puzzle in the mail!...ahha...you can add a smal magnet as a reminder. The Knot store actually sells small magnets that just have a small design and the date (the size of a business card). Or maybe one of the puzzle pieces (the one with the date) has a magnet attached to it!. I don''t know how feasible or easy this is, but I love it
9.gif

I am feeling very creative today, so if I get a better feeling for what you want I might be able to come up with some ideas.

M~

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
In your relatives defense, I have seen many many many very tacky magnets. BUT I have also seen many tacky invites, wedding decorations, etc.!

I think it totally depends on the presentation, and I think the ones you have picked are very classy.

We did just cards that ended up matching our invites and they went over very well. My FI's grandmother even said that I must come from money because everything was so elegant (guess that is good because it means I achieved my desire to be elegant on a budget!).

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love magnet save-the-dates! I''ve gotten so many of them the last few years, and they''re probably one of the few things that people keep from the whole wedding after the fact. The design you''ve chosen is really graceful, I think your friends and family would change their mind once they saw the finished product.

I love the photobooth idea, too, that is really cute and people would definitely save those.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2007 11:06:17 AM
Author: Mandarine

Does your wedding have a theme? or is there something that describes you guys?

Are you DIY or buying?. I just saw an idea that I loved, a puzzle!!!. I know I would love to get a puzzle in the mail!...ahha...you can add a smal magnet as a reminder. The Knot store actually sells small magnets that just have a small design and the date (the size of a business card). Or maybe one of the puzzle pieces (the one with the date) has a magnet attached to it!. I don''t know how feasible or easy this is, but I love it
9.gif
It will be all autumn colors, with moroccan elements thrown in (the centerpieces will be clusters of different-sized moroccan lanterns). DIY would be good, but I guess it sort of depends what direction we go in!

That puzzle idea is SO FUN--especially the puzzle piece with the magnet!!!! Someone HAS to make that somewhere, right? If not, maybe the BIWs should band together and launch a start-up business...

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
just wanted to point out that magnets can be a really nice touch, even if they are a tad bit overdone, my opinion is you just have to think of a unique way to present them....(totally biased here)

my FI and i did a magnet, but had it printed on wood.. (that''s right, real wood;-) and it couldn''t have turned out more awesome! we received nothing but the best compliments on them... lemme see if i can dig up a picture of the proof...

since we are having a destination wedding, we also packaged some info behind the magnet and sent the STD in a crystal clear envelope - that way when people got the STD our magnet was right there, front and center for all to see...

i''ll see if i can attach some other STD ideas that i have in my archive folder.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock

vizsla STD.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
oops that was huge.. now i''m totally freaked out that everyone can see what i look like up close and personal...

anyhoodles... here is an idea i stole from a girl on the knot.. i loved hers soooo much... but custom beer mats were too $$ for us ;-)

love these save the dates.jpg

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Since you are getting married in San Francisco, you could find some vintage looking SF postcards like this one and then either handwrite (for a personal touch) or stick lables to the back with the save the date info. Best part- you save on postage since you can put postcard stamps on them!

I found this postcard through a quick google search. I'm sure you could find more if you looked around.

I do agree, however, that the magnet you designed is a lot classier than some other STD magnets I've seen. But, also agree with Mandrine that since it seems that everyone does magnets, that they're not that original anymore.

Good luck with the decision!

ETA: I just realized that the magnet design you posted that said the wedding was in SF probably isn't yours (I doubt you'd be sending an STD now for a wedding in Oct 2007...) So, if you are not getting married in SF, the idea still holds, just for whatever city you are getting married in- find a vintage postcard from that city!!

greetings from sf ps.jpg

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I like your theme!!!

I have another thread for invites and Labbie posted about this site invitesite.com. Anyway, one of their items is on sale ($1.00!) and it came to mind when I read your theme.

I still love the puzzle idea!!! maybe I should go into the save the date business! hehe

Let me think some more... :))

M~

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock

forgot attachment..

123saffron.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2007 12:52:20 PM
Author: havernell

ETA: I just realized that the magnet design you posted that said the wedding was in SF probably isn''t yours (I doubt you''d be sending an STD now for a wedding in Oct 2007...) So, if you are not getting married in SF, the idea still holds, just for whatever city you are getting married in- find a vintage postcard from that city!!
Haha yes, it is the "sample" from the website... our wedding is on Oct. ''08 in Malibu, CA. The vintage postcard idea is such a good one!!! Especially because 80% of our guests will be OOT. Thank you!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2007 1:00:14 PM
Author: Mandarine

forgot attachment..

Oooh, Mandarine, that one is SO PRETTY!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
and it''s only $1.00!! (with envelope)

I keep thinking if there is some way to incorporate the lanterns, but can''t come up with anything "easy",

I did find some nice incenses and thought about maybe doing somethign with those and send the invitation in a tube or bottle with the incense?...

I''ll keep thinking...

M~

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for all your creativity, Mandarine! I want to keep the budget low... about $100, give or take a bit, and we''ll be sending out 70 of them. That card you posted would fit the bill perfectly! I''m gonna show that to FI tonight after work... see what he thinks
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results