shape
carat
color
clarity

Elopers: Wedding Party or no Wedding Party?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey elopers!

Are any of you having either a small DW or eloping and are you planning on having a wedding party after you get home or no? Someone offered to throw one for us afterwards and I''m torn. On the one hand I can wear my dress again and "play bride" but on the other hand, all the family issues I''m avoiding by eloping (it''s not the only reason but one of several) will have to be dealt with if we have a wedding party. Thoughts???

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My sister got married in a hotel room in Lake Tahoe w/ 5 of us present (our parents, me and his aunt and mom). They had really fun party a few weeks later at my cousln''s house. My BIL, who is very shy, wasn''t forced into the spotlight (we thought he was going to pass out during the ceremony) but they got to celebrate with loved ones. It was really a great time and she would do it all again exactly the same way.

climb2cloud9

Shiny_Rock
We''re eloping to Maui but haven''t decided if we''ll do something when we get back. We might do a cocktail reception thang but then again, I think we''ll get back from our honeymoon - get back to our old routines and then time will just fly by and then... well... ooops! we didn''t do a cocktail reception thing. Oh well. We don''t want a lot of attention paid to us I guess.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could you have the party without the fam? just friends?

I feel kind of guilty suggesting that, but then, the fam isn't invited to the wedding either, so what's the diff?
41.gif

BTW, I'm not eloping, nor did I. Hope my post still counts.
9.gif
25.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to a wonderful party for a couple who recently married in Hawaii. It was great because they were able to have their tiny, private ceremony and then they came back and celebrated with a huge party.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Both my sister and I had small DW''s. She had a few friends to her DW and then 2 large parties later that summer. (one on each coast).
I had a DW with just our immediate family (parents, siblings, and siblings-in-law). We did not have a party afterwards, and didn''t want one. However if most of our friends and family lived fairly nearby, we might have felt like we needed to have at least a bbq or something.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions and sharing your experiences. Yeah, we''re not big on being in the spotlight at all...but it WOULD be nice to wear my dress again! I''m thinking if we have a party on the east coast then we probably need to have a small family one on the west coast which another relative might throw and if so, then we could indeed do a "friends only" party in our home town (great minds think alike ellen!)...Things to ponder...

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Unless someone throws one...would be his family if that happens, and I think it fairly unlikely...we won''t be having a party either. It''s perfectly OK with me. Big crowds of people aren''t my thing. I honestly don''t think my family will care in the slightest that we''re married.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Hi Surfgirl,

Let me start by saying I really love your ring, it is unique in the most beautiful sense of the word. Great choice.

DH and I eloped and looking back when we weigh in all the family issues it was the right choice. We too were torn, should we have a reception or a party or anything. We decided to do nothing and honestly I regret it. I wore my dress for 30 mins tops and felt it was a bit of a sell out. Just a bit, but still...

I would (if I was going back in my time machine) whisper in my ear to have a party or reception of some sort invite whoever wanted to go and not cry if family (in particular) didnt, wouldnt or couldnt make it. I would swich about in my dress, cut our cake (we never had a cake or proffesional photos etc) and pose for photos.

I hope my opinion help but I am confident you will make the right choice.
36.gif

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
We are not having a wedding party when we get back. I have family problems as well and that is pretty much why we decided on a DW. It''s unfortunate, but a party when we get back would be like having our wedding at home, problems!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results